• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4G63T in a 61 sunbeam alpine

jammont

Donation Time
Hey Guys
I am putting a 2g 4G63T 16V DOHC in my series 2. it fits in the engine bay nicely with just a little modification to the crossmember (had to cut a little out of the top to fit the oil filter housing. will be bolting up the transmission and fabing up mounts in the next couple of weeks. will keep you guys posted.
Jamie

Attachments

• sunbeam pics 008.jpg
    sunbeam pics 008.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 208
  • sunbeam pics 009.jpg
    sunbeam pics 009.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 183
  • sunbeam pics 010.jpg
    sunbeam pics 010.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 153
  • sunbeam pics 011.jpg
    sunbeam pics 011.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 183

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Ah but the motor is not installed yet.
Just the block.

The block is seldom the problem on these cars, its the intake and exhaust.
From your picture, you are in for it on the intake side.

jammont

Donation Time
i am making a custom intake for this as the original will definatley not fit. Will post more pictures when i make progress.

jammont

Donation Time
It is a mitsubishi engine out of a 95 eagle talon. it was a front wheel drive engine that i am mating to a 5 speed rear wheel drive transmission. Also i will be running the fuel injection and spark with a megasquirt ms2 system.

65beam

Donation Time
engine

OK! sorry but if it's not sunbeam i don't work on it. plus i only drive GM or FORD vehicles and i never touch them except to drive them.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Did a quick Google and it appears the 2G 4G63T is a turbo set up. I suppose you will use a turbo, how much hp will you be gunning for?

Bill

jammont

Donation Time
will just be using the stock turbo T25 garrett. the nice thing is that it is small and does not take up much room. I am fine with the 210hp as i think that will move it along pretty well.
Jamie

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
will just be using the stock turbo T25 garrett. the nice thing is that it is small and does not take up much room. I am fine with the 210hp as i think that will move it along pretty well.
Jamie

I do too. I have to be south of 200 hp (but pretty close) and I'm very satisfied with the performance.

Bill

jammont

Donation Time
No the transmision i am using is from an 1987 hyundai stellar 2.0 it came with the same block but in SOHC and a rear wheel drive. It is a mitsubishi KM119, you can also get a KM132 out of a ford ranger or mazda truck but you would have to find a bellhousing to fit the 4G63 narrow block. Hope this gives another alternative for a sunbeam engine swap. I will let you guys know how i make out and post some more pics of progress.
Jamie

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I would think the mitsu starion trans would also be a bolt up as the G63B and the 2.6 engine shared the same transmission and bellhousing.

H One-Twenty

Donation Time
That engine looks the part in an Alpine Jamie, good luck with the swap. Is it the same basic motor as the non-turbo Eclipse? An old GF had one of those, she put 190K on it with no problems. A broken cam belt killed it in the end.

64beam

Donation Time
Hi,

The engine certainly looks right at home in the engine bay. The big cam pulley's remind me of the cosworth engine. I hope the conversion runs smoothly for you.

Regards, Robin.

SDuncan

Donation Time
Jammont, I see you live in Regina...small world, me too. I thought I knew most Alpines in town, but haven't seen or heard about this one yet. Hope to see it on the street next summer.

jammont

Donation Time
Just to answer the question on the eclipse the non turbo talons and eclipses had the chrysler 420A engine, the turbo engines were the 4G63 mitsubishi. Hi Scott my name is jamie and i have had my Akpine for about 15 years and it has been stored in a garage for that time. I am just now getting around to investing time to get it up and running. Thanks for the vote of confidence guys i am sure i will run into a few issues but nothing i will not be able to sort out. Will keep you guys posted on my progress.
Jamie

jammont

Donation Time
Updates

Hey Guys
Thought i would post an update. I have painted the engine bay fabbed up motor and tranny mounts, boxed in the piece i removed form the cross member and also had to widen the left side of the transmission tunnel a little bit (moved it over about an inch for some good clearance. Motor is in it's final resting place and i have started to hook things up. Will be starting on the intake manifold shortly. At this point i am very pleased with how this engine fits in this car. good clearance for the factory steering.Hey guiys if you have any questions about the install i would be more than happy to share my information with you.
Regards
Jamie

Attachments

• sunbeam pics 030.jpg
    sunbeam pics 030.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 164
  • sunbeam pics 031.jpg
    sunbeam pics 031.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 155
  • sunbeam pics 032.jpg
    sunbeam pics 032.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 137