• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

4 lug to 5 lug conversion

J

jjohnson

Does anyone know of a 5 lug front hub that will work on the sunbeam spindles? I am putting an 8 inch rear end in my alpine and will order it with 5 lugs if I can easily cross over the front also. Much better wheel selection with 5 lugs.
Thanks,
JD

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Does anyone know of a 5 lug front hub that will work on the sunbeam spindles? I am putting an 8 inch rear end in my alpine and will order it with 5 lugs if I can easily cross over the front also. Much better wheel selection with 5 lugs.
Thanks,
JD

Nothing would keep you from having your front hubs redrilled.

J

jjohnson

hubs

The hubs I have are for spindle mount wire wheels....I may have to buy some 4 lug hubs and re-drill them but I was hopeing to find some that are already 5 lugs that will crossover.
Thanks,
JD

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The hubs I have are for spindle mount wire wheels....I may have to buy some 4 lug hubs and re-drill them but I was hopeing to find some that are already 5 lugs that will crossover.
Thanks,
JD

If you do, let us know. It seems nothing is that easy in the World of Alpines.

Bill

mikephillips

Donation Time
I don't think you can with wire wheel hubs as there's no flange to drill and making a piece to fit the hub that would both not move and allow for a flange large enough probably would cost as much or more than just finding another hub. You might try Doug Jennings at Tiger Auto in Dayton Ohio. He had billet rears made at one point with a wider flange that could be drilled for a larger stud pattern. He might have fronts as well or know where you could get them.

EdSua

Donation Time
You can install adaptors to change from 4 to 5 studs, the only problem is that they are one inch thick.
The rear can use the extra inch but the front will require a wheel upset to compensate for that extra inch.
I got adaptors from these guys and I am using them on the rear only.
http://www.ezaccessory.com/4_Lug_Adapter_s/43.htm
I am not sure about the wire wheel hub part.
EdSua

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The only 4 on 4.25" to 5 lug that I saw is 2" thick. Might work out, there are some crazy offsets out there for fwd cars.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The easiest way to put a five bolt pattern on your Alpine, is to get yourself a pair of hubs for the steel wheels. They will bold on and can be welded up and a mew 5 on 4.5 pattern drilled in them. I did this modification to a set of hubs for the blown Alpine, and they work fine. It cost me $100 for the pair, but if you want five bolt wheels, is the easiest way to go.

I reall do not recommend using adapters, unless there really is no other way. They would pose a big problem up front, as has been mentioned already.

Jose

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I bought the 4 to 4 by 4.25 adaptors to use on the 62.I did this as i was not quite prepared to do another front end like the Lister at this time.They are 1 inch thick and seem to be a nice piece of work.For me they do the job I wanted at this time. You must retorque them a few times as the manufacturer states to be sure.They were 69.99 regular price.
Unfortunately I had punched the number 2 in pairs required and the order is shipped like right away.The next day it was too late when I realized what I had done.
I would think they would make up the difference on the rear wheels then you could have an even track.At least I think it would work.
These fit the 1/2 inch bolt so one would need different wheel nuts.
Bargain price if anyone wants them.I will let them go for 55.00 if you are interested.