• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

$161,650 Tiger!

Nickodell

Donation Time
A MK1a Tiger just sold at the Monterey auction for - wait for it - $161,650. As Classic Motorsports said: "Astonishing, and not in a good way. Very well sold."

Some people have money burning a hole in their pockets.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Nick,

If this is the MKIA that was done up like a road version of the hollywood sports car Tiger then the sale was a couple of months back (august IIRC).

The car was much hyped and was sold during the monterey historic racing/concourse weekend. The description was a little misleading as it implied that the car was a sort of rare prototype whereas it was a just a "resto-mod"

CA0810-96532_1.jpg

here is the link:

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=CA0810-96532&entryRow=95

description:
"Modeled after the famous racing Tiger built and raced by Hollywood Sports Car legends Doane Spencer and Jim Adams, the 1966 Sunbeam Tiger presented here is one of the rarest of its kind, certified by the Sunbeam Tiger Association as a Rootes Engineering MK1A Tiger. After massaging the body and fabricating an aluminum deck panel, trunklid, and fender flares, builder David Ley added a Thunderbird hood scoop and a custom wraparound Lexan windshield. A Ford Racing GT40 crate engine with custom fabricated exhaust, the original Toploader and a narrowed Dana 44 give the car lightning performance, while the crisply finished cockpit offers up Stewart Warner gauges in an engine-turned dash, leather repro Cobra seats, aluminum door panels and a chromed roll bar. Custom-offset Halibrand style wheels are the perfect period-correct finishing touch on this retro Shelby hybrid, which has won numerous Concours events and been featured in Hot Rod, Sports Car, Cobra and Motor Trend magazines. In addition, it was featured in the Carroll Shelby Tribute at Riverside Raceway Museum in March 2010, where it was signed by Lou Spencer and Carroll Shelby."

HIGHLIGHTS

- This is one of the rarest Sunbeam Tigers certified by Sunbeam Tiger Association as a Rootes Engineering MK1A Tiger
- GT-40 400 HP all aluminum engine, rear trunk, hand built
- Modeled after The Hollywood Sports Cars Tiger originally built by Doane Spencer and raced by Jim Adams
- This car has won many Concours shows across the country
- Featured at the Riverside Raceway Museum in March 2010, Carroll Shelby talked for 45 minutes about the Sunbeam and how it was his most valued car; Carroll Shelby and Lou Spencer signed the car at this show and is fully documented
- Featured in Cobra magazine, Hot Rod, Sports Car and Motor Trend

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I am always amazed at the prices these so called collectors will pay for a replica...and they know it is a replica. Lot's of Dodge Challengers and other muscle cars go through those auctions starting out as 6 cyl granny cars and then have all the toys added pulling huge dollars. Strange

65beam

Donation Time
tiger

michael,
i wouldn't call it a resto mod. i first saw this car at the bash at tiger tom's in 2004. it was there along with the hollywood tiger. i saw a lot of things that were similar to the hollywood car but also made it a road car which was his original intent. this is a very well built car with lots of attention to detail. prior to it's restoration i saw the hollywood car many times. i would call this car a street legal hollywood clone. i think everyone should keep in mind the cost to do a sunbeam body right plus the cost to assemble and detail the car. it's not cheap! rick put a lot of time and effort into building this. he didn't get the money out of it that the last owner did. i think we're way past due on alpines selling for prices in line with other british cars of the era. after all ,there are less of the alpines than other marques.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
All good things are being said about this car
However no matter what it still is a modified car.
Here some still call mine a hot rod although i have been educating a lot of them

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
i wouldn't call it a resto mod. i first saw this car at the bash at tiger tom's in 2004. it was there along with the hollywood tiger. i saw a lot of things that were similar to the hollywood car but also made it a road car which was his original intent. this is a very well built car with lots of attention to detail. prior to it's restoration i saw the hollywood car many times. i would call this car a street legal hollywood clone. i think everyone should keep in mind the cost to do a sunbeam body right plus the cost to assemble and detail the car. it's not cheap! rick put a lot of time and effort into building this. he didn't get the money out of it that the last owner did. i think we're way past due on alpines selling for prices in line with other british cars of the era. after all ,there are less of the alpines than other marques.

Bob,

Its a tribute car, homage.. "restored and modified" to be a raod going "look alike" to the HSC car.. hence my term "resto mod". I have seen this car many times nin pictures on the net, and really like many things about it (possibly because i too am a HUGE fan of dave stones HSC car).

It has many HSC style detilas (hood scoop, side exhuats through the sills, all cover, single hoop roll bar HSC style side vents) but the interior is his own design (cobra setas, ally turned dash) and things like the stripes and the vents on the rear of the body work are custom stuff period inspired but not HSC (as with interior) then the car has an alloy block motor.. has the hallibrand wheels (but larger and riobbed unlike the HSC kidney beans which are now available repro'ed in larger sizes too!)

Dont get me wrong, love the car.. love the attention to detail but to me its a tribute car to the HSC (obviously) but its still a custom car, its not a replica and much as its inspried by.. and ditch the stripes and wheels.. man would i love to own it :D

65beam

Donation Time
tiger

michael,
i know what it looks like. i have parked my cars next to it at various cars shows. it is a great car. it is a highly modified car. too bad you never get to see some of the cars here in the states in person. you would appreciate the workmanship in the cars. you should try to attend an event in the states.

alpine_64

Donation Time
michael,
i know what it looks like. i have parked my cars next to it at various cars shows. it is a great car. it is a highly modified car. too bad you never get to see some of the cars here in the states in person. you would appreciate the workmanship in the cars. you should try to attend an event in the states.

Bob, a visit to the united is on the cards in the nearish future (probably 2014 for the tigers 50th) but i may make it before then. As for the cars over there, i know there are some impressive restorations, the event we had in melbourne a couple of months back saw a few pebble beach class winners and an overall winner out here, impressive restorations, but our local efforts are on par. I recently saw a ferrari 275 GTB/4 6C that just finshed a 3 year restoration in victoria, the car is likely to go to the USA for some trophy chasing.