• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by old grumpy

1. old grumpy

The race car?

I am told that this car has been racing in US. Right or wrong https://www.berlinetta-auctions.co.uk/weekly/car-detail/lot-144-1964-sunbeam-alpine-series-iv-race-car?fbclid=IwAR2tamEhRU0S-mT4jMeKvpqSHsHUU3yhBoaNo-ZyRGphwSejW9JP5VU4874
  2. old grumpy

A racing Alpine in UK

It will fit in a class with quite free regulations with some very fast cars, and that will not be so fun.
  3. old grumpy

A racing Alpine in UK

https://www.carandclassic.com/car/C1562030?utm_campaign=saved-search&utm_source=email-alert&utm_medium=email&fbclid=IwAR27v415qU2MRz-5c2haDQswiZYGHFA4j6BK6P5jSPS30XpTCDTSJgHxmqk
  4. old grumpy

Vizzard modification -1725

Intersting! I have an unused Harrington "Le Mans" camshaft. Can it be the same profile? Kristian
  5. old grumpy

1600 crankshaft

I am building an 1600 engine from "quite good parts". I have two crankshafts. One is an EN9 that are inside the tolerances on big-ends and main bearings, the other is an EN19T (from an Rapier I think) but tolerances are on the limit or even 1-2 thousands of a millimetre outside. As I am not...
  6. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

Funny, I have never had this problem on any engine . Not even when I did run the car with water in the oil 50/50% The engine didn't brake down but when I did take the engine apart all bearings looked funny. (for a natural reason)
  7. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

Are we talking about the 3-bearing crank? First and forth bearing have oil from their own main bearing. The second and third bearing has oil delivery from the middle main bearing so in reality both would be in danger. The passage is about 5,5 m.m. 7/32 inch. How much enlarging is necessary?
  8. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

Mr RootesRacer! Where can this post be found?
  9. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

That means every engine! A 100% disaster record! Odd, it has never happen to me. So crankshaft drilling is the answer? Higher oil pressure maybe? Or do you have a very bad relationship with this engine?
  10. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

"notorious" You said, not "rarely" How about "spitting #3 rod reluctant" (no, sounds silly)...seldom? well, the point is I don't like the world "notorious" It's so.............so.......negative...
  11. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

I assume..............:confused:
  12. old grumpy

Crankshaft drilling

Now and then I read about cross-drilling the crankshaft to get more oil to the 3:rd conrod bearing. This operation is not that easy. Is it still mandatory for the fast revving motor? Has everyone who is operating a racing or go-fast engine done this?
  13. old grumpy

Crankshaft

Yes, fram a Rapier, I just can't remember the car, and that is scary!:eek:
  14. old grumpy

Crankshaft

No! I was wrong! I was dizzy or tired. I have an EN16 crankshaft. 2 inch con rod big end bearing. From what engine and car? No idea. With this I can rely on up to 6000 rpm?
  15. old grumpy

Crankshaft

I thought I had a EN16 crankshaft, but looking closely, one was a EN19 and the other EN9 What says the metallurgist. I guess it's nothing to rely on over 5500 rpm?