• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by LarryN

1. LarryN

Rear glass for early hardtop

Yes, please add me to the list. Larry
  2. LarryN

Series II dashboard

Series II Instrument Panel Photo w/Legend I don't remember where I found these, but attached are a photo of the Series II dash and (unfortunately in a separate file) the legend for the items marked in the photo. Larry
  3. LarryN

need sunbeam mechanic for engine replacement

Detlev Hanschke at International Auto Service in Livermore built an engine for my Series II. He mostly works on German stuff, but has done a Bugeye Sprite and some other English stuff in addition to my Alpine.
  4. LarryN

Series 2 hardtop attachment

Series II Hardtop bolts Echoing the comments from others - check the threads. One side of mine was stripped, the other was OK but re-tapped both. The stock bolts were really nice - chrome plated, shoulder bolts with a nice tapered or spherical centering section below the head. I went looking...
  5. LarryN

Series II Instrument Panel Wanted

My Series II Alpine came with a home-made wooden IP. I am looking for an original metal panel. Please contact me at nattras1@pacbell.net.
  6. LarryN

Front Suspension Crossmember

On the subject of Grade 8 bolts, it is correct that they are higher strength steel and that the elongation to failure is typically less than the lower grades. However, the elongation is a combination of elastic stretch and, after the material yields, plastic or permanent deformation. Grade 8...
  7. LarryN

Series II Lubrication Chart

Looking for the Lubrication Chart that was supposed to be in the back of the Owner's Handbook for a Series II - does anybody have one? If so, could I get a photo or scan? Thanks Larry
  8. LarryN

Series II Front Suspension

Series II suspension I'm liking the idea of swapping the existing Series II suspension for a later version - any suggestions on where to get a Series IV or V set-up? I can rebuild it off the car and then do the swap - that has a lot of advantage for me.
  9. LarryN

Series II Front Suspension

The mechanic who rebuilt my Series II a few years back informed me that the front suspension needs rebuilding. Having avoided most suspension work beyond replacing the shocks, I have now (perhaps foolishly) agreed that I will remove the front suspension, he will install the new bushings, etc...
  10. LarryN

Weber Accelerator Pump

My Alpine and I have been sidelined for a while now while ancient body parts (mine) mended after surgery. The car is a Series II with a Weber conversion from SS and has never run quite right after the mod. Last time I started it, it would idle fine but bog down and stall under all but the...
  11. LarryN

Dashboard yet again

Please send the files to me as well: nattras1@pacbell.net Thanks Larry
  12. LarryN

Testing the coil

Sorry this is so disjointed, but it occurred to me that there might be a simple test: remove the fuse and check the voltage on the white wire again (on and off the coil). This will take the gas gauge, temp gauge, horns, stop lights, and flasher can out of the circuit. If the voltage drop looks...
  13. LarryN

Testing the coil

You might want to also take a look at the green wires coming off the fuse block on the opposite side from the white wires - horns, stop lights, flasher can plus the gas gauge and temp gauge. These circuits are also in parallel with the coil circuit and have the possibility of putting some...
  14. LarryN

Engine studs - reuse or replace - non-cylinder head

Grade 8 is probably overkill for these applications, Grade 2 is probably adequate but I would recommend Grade 5 to avoid problems with imported junk fasteners. Grade 5 is no guarantee that the fasteners won't be counterfeit, but the money is in the high-volume stuff (Grade 2) and the really...
  15. LarryN

Testing the coil

Looking at the wiring diagram, the white wire to the coil comes from the ignition switch off Terminal 2. Terminal 2 is common with another white wire which goes to the Ignition Warning Light. The Ignition Warning Light also has a yellow wire which goes back to the voltage regulator and then on...