• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Weber Accelerator Pump

LarryN

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Alpine and I have been sidelined for a while now while ancient body parts (mine) mended after surgery. The car is a Series II with a Weber conversion from SS and has never run quite right after the mod. Last time I started it, it would idle fine but bog down and stall under all but the lightest throttle (no load, just running in neutral in the garage). I suspect the accelerator pump, but have no idea how to check it or repair it. The conversion has fewer than 1000 miles of driving time. Suggestions greatly appreciated.

johnd

Donation Time
Ooops - forgot the rest. The instructions I received said to be careful after removing the 4 screws that held the accelerator pump housing because the spring was likely to pop out. That's when I discovered I had no spring. The addition of the spring made a big difference when accelerating from a dead stop. Before the spring was installed the car always wanted to stall.

Nickodell

Donation Time
Bogging down from a standstill is a common problem with Weber-refitted Alpines, and although one automatically suspects the acc. pump - and it might well be the culprit - in many cases it's due to the idle jets as supplied being too small.

I had the problem with Matilda (67 SV), and checked whether the a.p. was squirting juice down the carb throat. It was. I then went through a series of increasingly larger-bore jets until the problem disappeared.