• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Recent content by bobw

1. bobw

Rotary Alpine

Rotary Alpine Motif Badges My Alpine is in the paint shop, where it's been for the last 3 weeks. One of the pieces I was missing were the motif badges on each side and trunk. I ordered the chrome surrounds from Sunbeam Specialties, but decided to get something a little different for the...
  2. bobw

gas pedal SIV

Good point. I think that's the way I read it when I ordered mine. Bob W.
  3. bobw

gas pedal SIV

I bought the GT57, not noticing the RHD only. I installed it in my Series V and it seems to be working OK. I might have bent the rod a little, I don't remember. Bob W.
  4. bobw

Series II Charging System Questions

Hi Larry, I'm not quite sure I fully understand your situation, because if you put 16.3V across a 12 V battery, the current will not be zero. The 16.3V zero current as listed in the workshop manual is open circuit only which means the generator is disconnected from the battery. From your...
  5. bobw

Cooling system info.

In a closed container the pressure you see is determined by the temperature vs vapor pressure for the mixture you have. As Bill Blue mentioned, if you have the system totally full of fluid, you will get an immediate rise in pressure, due to the expansion of water, that doesn't follow the curves...
  6. bobw

Cooling system info.

Try downloading this pdf http://www.meglobal.biz/literature/product_guides/MEGlobal_MEG.pdf There is a chart on page 17 of vapor pressure vs temperature for various concentrations of ethelene glycol and water. The closest I can interpolate it, at 75%, 300 mm Hg (5.8 psi) would be 84C, or 183F...
  7. bobw

Clutch pedal clevis

There was some discussion about the clevis pins a while back. http://sunbeamalpine.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10880 There are some photos of my mod of the stock Alpine clevis on a post dated 05-03-2009. Bob W.
  8. bobw

2.8 electric fan thermostat

Hi Robbie, The fan I used for my rotary installation came with an adjustable thermostat. Looking on the web, it's similar to a Flex-A-Lite 31147 or Jegs 52125, both sold by Jegs. Mine came with the fan, so I don't know exactly what brand it is. It seems to work as expected. Bob W.
  9. bobw

The DuraPine

Sorry Bill, I just assumed you were on a windows system like 90% of the world. An easy way to do it is run this command in a terminal: convert -size 640x480 $1.jpg -resize 640x480 +profile "*" $1_6.jpg Oops, the command above will work as I described if you make it an executable script...
  10. bobw

The DuraPine

Best of luck with your new project Bill. I'm sure glad you had that fire extinguisher handy. It would have been a shame to loose what appears to be a pretty straight car. If you do a Google search for "shrink jpg" and maybe include your operating system, you should find some programs that...
  11. bobw

Lets talk rotary swap...

Hi Jim, I think the engine could go a couple of inches farther forward. The only real problem is interference between the steering arms and the spark plugs. I found a place that fit and went with it. My motor mound leaves a lot to be desired. I have seen reference to a couple of other...
  12. bobw

Repair Manual for 66 Alpine

WSM 145 can be found on line at http://www.rootes1725cc.info/alpine/index.htm. It's almost but not quite unreadable. If you pay them, you can access a higher quality version. So far, I've gotten by with the free version. Bob W.
  13. bobw

Rotary Alpine

I've already posted all I know on the subject, maybe more. I'll keep the forum up to date on how I'm progressing, and will definitely take you up on your offer if I can't get the results I want with the EC2. Thanks, Bob W.
  14. bobw

Lets talk rotary swap...

Hi Bill, I checked the clearance of the oil pan to ground. It's 5 inches. The X frame is 7 inches, so indeed the engine is sitting pretty low. Glad to know my oil pan will protect the frame from any big rock in the road. :rolleyes: Bob W.
  15. bobw

Rotary Alpine

An aviation ECU without a barometric sensor would be non functional. :) Operating from sea level to possibly 18000 ft. or more is quite a range of air density. This ECU operates on a MAP table which can be adjusted to compensate for variability of the input, but once set doesn't have to be...