• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Dual brake master cylinders as in 2 anyone do it?

jzuk7

Donation Time
I'm following this thread and don't mean to hijack it. I want to switch to a dual circuit MC. Is anyone using the Ford Courier/Mazda B1600 MC with a 2.8 v6? The ports are on the engine side and I'm not sure if there will be enough clearance from the engine. I'm using the Wilwood girling type single port MC, and have about 1.25 inches between the MC body and valve cover. I'd like to know how long the courier MC is. And what are my options, if needed to use a 90 degree or banjo fitting at the MC.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I'm following this thread and don't mean to hijack it. I want to switch to a dual circuit MC. Is anyone using the Ford Courier/Mazda B1600 MC with a 2.8 v6? The ports are on the engine side and I'm not sure if there will be enough clearance from the engine. I'm using the Wilwood girling type single port MC, and have about 1.25 inches between the MC body and valve cover. I'd like to know how long the courier MC is. And what are my options, if needed to use a 90 degree or banjo fitting at the MC.
I have banjo fittings on order, once they are here I can get you that info. I am also running a Wilwood girling type single port MC for my clutch, so I can look at the difference.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I received the banjo fitting today, and they worked great. The bolt is 10mm x 1.25 and banjo is 3/8 24 inverted flare out. I also made a push-rod from a grade 8 bolt. jzuk7 with the fitting it is a little over 2 1/2 inches from center to outside of bolt, you could gain an 1/8 inch with a smaller headed bolt. Remember I am running a Miata motor and have a lot of room on the motor side.
RIMG0539-L.jpg

RIMG0540-L.jpg

RIMG0542-L.jpg

RIMG0547-L.jpg

RIMG0546-L.jpg

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Yep, when re-engining an Alpine, you can be smart and start with a smaller engine! So much unused space. When you gonna install that turbo?:)
Did you make that yoke? Is it milled? Looks good.
Bill

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks' guys. I have not worked on the yoke, I try to do one thing at a time so my car is not down for long. I have an extra motor all rebuilt and ready to go in, so I thought it would be a good time to redo the brakes. With the motor out, I will have more room to replace the brake lines before the new motor go in.
RIMG0498-L.jpg

jzuk7

Donation Time
Toyanvil, thank you very much for the info! I will go out make measurements this weekend. But I have a few more questions....Do you have a part number for the bolt and banjo fitting? Do I need a banjo bolt that will match up with the type of flare that the MC has on the ports? Will the push rod that I have for the Wilwood MC work with the Courier/mazda MC? Thanks again! Joel

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
That's a good idea Jim, if it is close. jzuk7 I was going to post the part numbers and what I did to make it work, once I am done.
If you need it how, I can give you what I have. The M/C is from a 1975 MAZDA B1600 1.6L L4 and the banjo bolt is 10mm x 1.25, banjo is 3/8 24 inverted flare, clevis is from Wilwood, out and the push-rod is a grade 8 bolt turned down. I used 3/8 24 inverted flare because I already have a 45 degree flare tool for SS line. I am in to it about $100.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Toyanvil, I bet it works great! I mentioned the other banjo fittings if the V6ers need more room. Make sure you have a little slack at the pedal too. For those with stock rotors, have you thought of using caliper spacers and vented rotors like the Capri guys?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
For those with stock rotors, have you thought of using caliper spacers and vented rotors like the Capri guys?

Is there a vented 10" rotor that fits the Alpine hub and lines up with a "spaced" Alpine caliper?

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Barry, I don't know. You may have to adapt another rotor. There is a Honda Accord rotor that is 10.2 diameter that could be adapted with a steel plate. Similar to what was done with the Nissan pickup rotor in some swaps. The European Capri guys use the Capri MK3 vented rotor or deep hat BMW slip on rotor.

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Here's a thought why not get the 10.25 vented rotor from wilwood and make an adaptor plate( some thing that has been done before) and use their spacers to widen the caliper.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Joel, Good idea. I was just thinking of a way to use stock components with vented rotors for those that still use the 13" or 14" wheels. For 15" or larger you could use the 10.9" Nissan pickup rotor, like in the tech archives article.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
The possibilities are endless; the problem is making any of them work with the Alpine spindle, Alpine hub, Alpine caliper and especially the Alpine caliper location.

Hope you can make it work.