• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel Picture Thread

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks. These wheels have been on my list of possibilities for years, but I've never been able to find out how well they actually fit. I'll be anxious to hear what you learn.

L

Lee DeRamus saoca0404

Nice. I wonder what shipping would be to the States? :D

The description says "pick up only". Back in 06 I filled up a military duffell bag with a lot of parts (super heavy) and checked it. I had a complete set of new springs, front and rear, and other supension and engine parts. I originally brought the duffell bag to bring back an OD transmission if I had found one. I always wondered what they thought if they x-rayed it. They didn't charge me extra for the weight.
Lee

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Thanks. These wheels have been on my list of possibilities for years, but I've never been able to find out how well they actually fit. I'll be anxious to hear what you learn.

Jim, here is what I found. What do you think?
6j x 14 wheel
110mm/4.33" backspacing
33.5mm/1.33" offset
185-70hr-14 standard tire

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
More wheel goodness or weirdness, however you want to take it.

seriesvracecarwheelclosel9.jpg

tigerwweird5spokesvd9.jpg

tigerw5holealloyswa5.jpg

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have posted this question before without getting an answer, but this thread seems like a good place to try again. I have seen cars for sale before with the hubs re-drilled to a different bolt pattern. Re-drilling doesn't seem like it would be very hard or expensive and would potentially open up the wheel choices considerably. (Glad this thread was moved to the Modified forum!) The trick is to find a wheel with the correct offset and backspacing, then to have the hubs drilled to that wheel. You might even be able to buy new wheels from TireRack this way!

As an example, I know I have seen a picture of an Alpine with RX-7 wheels on it that appeared to fit correctly. Since the RX-7 used a different bolt circle that car was presumably re-drilled, but I have not been able to confirm that, nor did I actually see the car. Someone once suggested that there are tons of cars with 4x100 bolt circles, but again, offset and backspacing are the key things we'd need to know.

Just thinking out loud...

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Jim,

I had the front hubs drilled to a regular Ford five bolt pattern. It cost $100 for the pair. Most machine shops can do this for you. They just weld up the holes and drill new ones for the pattern you choose.

I went with the five bolt pattern, because it really opened up the wheel selection for me. I chose the American Racing "Torque Thrust" model. I love the nostalgia gasser look.

Jose

66Tiger

Donation Time
The tire sits just at the lip of the fender. They seem to be in about the same spot as my Panasports.

It's a little hard to tell but this is the most definitive photo that I have with the 924 wheels on my car up front...

924front.jpg

Paul

They do look good in the photos. How is the backspacing for the front wheels? It is hard to tell from the photos. Do they sit inside the wheel wells or just a little outside like Ford wheels?

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Your Tiger looks Grreaat.. I am a little partial to white myself.. Do you think a spacer on the rear is needed for the 924 wheels?

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
You can buy PCD adapters (or at least you can in the UK, so I'm guessing you can in the US) made from billet aluminium that can change one PCD to another. The trouble with them is that they are usually at least 1" thick, which will make the offset on the front even worse. On the rear however, this could be seen as an advantage as it will push the wheels out a bit to fill the arches a little better.

Here in the UK we have quite a large choice of alternative wheels for Alpines as the 4x108 PCD was very common on many cars (especially Fords). Have a look here for a list of (Eurpoean) cars that have the same PCD:

http://www.retroridescommunity.com/wheels.asp?issubmitted=PCD&newPCD=4&submit=go

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Doug,

If you need spacers to place the rear wheel out farther, you can have a maching shop turn you up a couple from aluminum to put them exactly where you want them, then you can have longer wheel studs put into your axles to still have enough threads to hold the wheel securely.

Jose

Your Tiger looks Grreaat.. I am a little partial to white myself.. Do you think a spacer on the rear is needed for the 924 wheels?

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
My car is a lot closer to a stock Alpine than a modified one regardless of someone else's opinion, that is, until there's a personalized category placed between Stock and Modified. There, I withheld a lot of comments on the subject but left it at the two cent limit.

More wheel pics, they're not very good, especially the first flared Tiger (a mesh wheel a bit like a BBS) but they're some old pics I dug up and thought I'd throw them in.

img0002wp3.jpg

If these aren't the LAT wheels, they're pretty close.

img0003vl6.jpg

These look an awful lot like Capri wheels to me.....

img0004uc2.jpg

Any of these people on the forum or does anyone recognize them?

lgurley

Donation Time
This section as it says is for the purist... not for personalized cars.

Nothing wrong with the cars pictured in this post...but should they be in the purist section ?
So no hula girl on the dash or fuzzy dice on the mirror? The wheels on my V6 are stock but only because they give me the look I want. I will most likely put outrageous wheels on my white Alpine which is currently stock.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
Those Capri wheels look really good but I don't remember seeing them on the US version. Were they a v6 option ?
Jose, if I find the Porsche wheels I think I would use the spacer on the rear.

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
I believe they come from the Capri Mk2 3.0 S, but I could be wrong! You don't see many old Capris wearing them now.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
The U.S. version, Capri II Ghia came with them too. The earlier Capris came with the steel wheels.

Jose

Those Capri wheels look really good but I don't remember seeing them on the US version. Were they a v6 option ?
Jose, if I find the Porsche wheels I think I would use the spacer on the rear.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I like the look with spacers on wheels that are the same width front and back.

I have a pair of Cosmic Wheel Spacers (there are 2 pairs in this picture that I found on the internet). They are about 1.25" thick and use a special stud that screws into the existing stud to lengthen it. They fit into the slots on the spacers so that they can't rotate around.

Paul

cosmicspacers.jpg

Nick Farrow

Donation Time
I like the look with spacers on wheels that are the same width front and back.

I have a pair of Cosmic Wheel Spacers (there are 2 pairs in this picture that I found on the internet). They are about 1.25" thick and use a special stud that screws into the existing stud to lengthen it. They fit into the slots on the spacers so that they can't rotate around.

Paul

cosmicspacers.jpg

I borrowed a set of those about ten years ago and put them on my Triumph Spitfire. Within a week of them being on they had ruined the rear wheel bearings! I'd much rather fit longer studs and use the the disc spacers that look like this:

wheelSpacers.jpg

66Tiger

Donation Time
I borrowed a set of those about ten years ago and put them on my Triumph Spitfire. Within a week of them being on they had ruined the rear wheel bearings! I'd much rather fit longer studs and use the the disc spacers...

Don't know what to tell you...I put them on my car when I had 14" Minator wheels for about 1,000 miles...and suffered no damage to anything.

I am not using them simply because I replaced my wheels with Panasports of different widths front and back.

I currently have 1/4" spacers on my rear wheels otherwise my wheels aren't pressed against the Sunbeam drums.

Paul