• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wheel Picture Thread

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Some different types of wheels I've used over the years. I'm hoping others will follow suit and post pics of wheels they've tried. Unless this is an old worn out subject:

The car had stock steel when I got it, wheel #1, shortly thereafter, I tried these ET-IV's I got off a Tiger owner:

1978spokanewaautocrossfx6.jpg

Then I tried these Rial wheels (don't recall the specific model) for a while:
1986wrialwheelswd7.jpg

Some good old slotted mags (prob American Racing) for Autocrossing:
suni89wslottedmagsed6.jpg

Then I found a staggered fitment with American Eagle wheels (cheap I know but at the time.....) in 13x5.5 front and 13x7 rear. Love the rear fit, with hindsight I should have only got 5" in the front.....
1990wamericaneaglestaggah1.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
It only let me post 4 pics, here's the rest:

Same American Eagles with painted centers:
1994or95wameaglepaintedbn1.jpg

Currently the Superlites and having second thoughts about the rears....I sure miss the staggered fit:
sunbeamonfloortilerfvp7.jpg

JonPiz

Donation Time
I havent got a picture of them on the car yet but Cosmic alloys were a late 60's and 70's favorite in the UKimages.jpg

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
So owners that keep all Sunbeam running gear, and don't butcher the bodywork on their cars, but run alloy wheels are considered modified cars? Personalized maybe......but modified?

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
tigersit1S_1.JPG

JAPw_1.JPG

My current running gear. 1968 J.A.Pierce (JAP) wheels.

Very interesting wheels. Hope more get posted.

Those Pierce wheels remind me of the ones I just put on my truck (Auzzie TX-1's) from the people that supply us our Superlites:

discotx1fmv5.jpg

John Boggis

Donation Time
This section as it says is for the purist... not for personalized cars.

Nothing wrong with the cars pictured in this post...but should they be in the purist section ?

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
A set of period correct wheels makes a car personalized? Not at any of the shows that I have been to and I have judged cars. In fact a rare set of JAP,Cosmic, Dunlop, or Minilites makes that stock car all the more appealing and different. Show us your wheels John!

John Boggis

Donation Time
Hi Eric... I think the customizing of Alpines is great and some cars look very cool...but the point I was trying to make was should the cars in the pictures on this thread be in the purists section ?

Looking at the pics some of the cars have non standard wheels and tires,headrests,custom exhausts,non period mirrors etc. Not exactly what you would call pure to the marque.

I think this thread should have been placed in the modified section as that is what has been done to most of the cars.

Here is a link to a picture of my car which has It's original date stamped wheels and 6.00 X 13 cross-ply tires with 1" white-walls.

Jim E

Donation Time
Guess I am a snob when it comes to wheels on Alpines or Tigers I prefer factory or a period mini lite. Then that is about the only thing I am a purist about. Here is my not correct S3 with period shelby mini lites
2199295070054332496fomwJc_th.jpg

2709797170054332496BavpQn_th.jpg

66Tiger

Donation Time
Being a Hot Rodder at heart I am partial to Draglites and Rodlites...

draglites.jpg

rodlites.jpg

I "Photoshopped" these a number of years ago but a 5" wide on the front and a 7" rear wheel would work nicely.

Paul

JonPiz

Donation Time
Hi Eric... I think the customizing of Alpines is great and some cars look very cool...but the point I was trying to make was should the cars in the pictures on this thread be in the purists section ?

Looking at the pics some of the cars have non standard wheels and tires,headrests,custom exhausts,non period mirrors etc. Not exactly what you would call pure to the marque.

I think this thread should have been placed in the modified section as that is what has been done to most of the cars.

Here is a link to a picture of my car which has It's original date stamped wheels and 6.00 X 13 cross-ply tires with 1" white-walls.

I was going to post another message, but decided just to say that is one beautiful car.:)

JonPiz

Donation Time
So owners that keep all Sunbeam running gear, and don't butcher the bodywork on their cars, but run alloy wheels are considered modified cars? Personalized maybe......but modified?

Oh I can't resist!! When the steering wheel was put on the wrong side it became modified!!! :D;)

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Being a Hot Rodder at heart I am partial to Draglites and Rodlites...

I "Photoshopped" these a number of years ago but a 5" wide on the front and a 7" rear wheel would work nicely.

Paul

Are either of the pictures real? I ask because the front wheels look like they fit correctly in the wheel well, which rarely seems to happen with non-standard (anything not specifically made for an Alpine or Tiger) wheels.

alpine1963

Diamond Level Sponsor
Hey John, Where did you buy your tires from? Finding 13 inch with 1 inch whitewalls are getting hard to find!

Cheers,

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
Does the factory taking a cutting torch to Alpines in order to stuff V-8's in them qualify as modified? :)

I see steering wheels on the right side, and steering wheels on the left. Neither is difficult for me and lik'em both. Never saw it as correct or wrong. Enjoyed my RHD Land Rover immensely and wish I'd kept it.

These very narrow American Racing alloys ended up on my '69 Alpine Coupe.

sunbeamracecarrrhg8.jpg