• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V6 installation

socorob

Donation Time
What rpms are you turning at 70? And do you know what gear ratio 5th is in your trans? I'm ready to order an LSD rear chunk but on the fence between 3.80 and 4.11. My 5th is .68. With a 3.55 and that feels too tall for the engine.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Rob,

If you have a .68 overdrive, I would suggest going with a set of 4.11s. Your rpms at 70 mph., should be around 2,900-3,100, which is right where it should be, plus your first gear will be about right.

Jose

p.s. The 4.11s will really help you at the slaloms, because you will accelerate better.

What rpms are you turning at 70? And do you know what gear ratio 5th is in your trans? I'm ready to order an LSD rear chunk but on the fence between 3.80 and 4.11. My 5th is .68. With a 3.55 and that feels too tall for the engine.

Yenko

Donation Time
Rob,

With the 4.10 ratio in the FORD rear end and 21 ½ inch TIRES + 0.72 in overdrive, my RPM is about 3500 at 70MPH...I'll put 15 inch rims and about 24 inch TIRES later to drop this RPM to ±3200RPM...

socorob

Donation Time
thanks for the answers... 4.11 it is.Right now around 2000 rpm im doing about 70. My tires are 23.2 inches tall. Eventually i will go to 15 inch rims and about 24 inch tall tires. Thats a few months off im sure. Anyone have any experiences with the guys selling the trac locs for the ford 8 inch on ebay or trac locs in general?

Yenko

Donation Time
Rob,

I bought an aftermarket TRAC-LOC from e-Bay and I am very please with it...Just add a 4oz. of the MOPAR (yes MOPAR) Limited Slip Additive Friction modifier,P/N 04318060AB in it...:D

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
They list one for the Ford 9'', but not for the 8". Not sure, but if clearance is an issue, the fins that are part of the casting could be a problem.

socorob

Donation Time
They do have it for the 8 inch. Well currie does. Says it takes about 12 pounds off the weight of the rear end. Wonder if it's strong enough though.

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was on the currie site and didn't see one. For the 9" it was about $700.00 as I recall. I doubt you make enough power with the V6 to break it. As I said, with the cast fins I wonder if it would fit. Nice looking unit though, espcially when polished.