• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The value of a Covid test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
If they weren’t lying to us I would take it seriously but they have been lying to us, get real people die everyday and I’m sorry but all of sudden people aren’t die from anything but Covid and I’m glad I live in Ocala, Florida and not all our government facilities require a mask!!!
Get out and enjoy life and enjoy your sunbeam.
I will be taking my Alger to a car show this weekend and masks are not required !
At 70 years old I lived through a lot of things that they said I was going to die from but guess what I’m still kicking and going to enjoy the rest of my life and if I get sick I’ll be staying at home with my wife who is a nurse and I will take her advice!
By the way it’s not a macho thing it’s called common sense!

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Not my vision of common sense, just use common sense and personal hygiene.
Proper diet and some exercise.
I’m no going to stop living or live in fear!

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
Of course, now to get on public transport of any kind in the United States you'll need to be wearing not one, but TWO masks... and if you don't, the CDC reserves the right to arrest you.... at least, that's the latest edict to come from our government.

I'll be out in the garage or in my machine shop if you need me.

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
Masks and Common sense?

I have a friend who is VERY pro mask.

He buys the very common type in big quantities and gives them to me.

When he first gave one to me, I suggested the test was could I blow out a Flame in front of the mask.

So he came up with a lighter and guess what? I could blow out the flame with the mask on!

His responds? "Don't Blow so hard".

He continues to use them and I humor him with a mask when he is around.

BUT, MY common sense tells ME, IF you NEED an Electron Microscope to see the Virus,

the common "mask" is NOT going to stop it!

Rumor has it, "common sense" is becoming less common...

alpine_64

Donation Time
He buys the very common type in big quantities and gives them to me.

When he first gave one to me, I suggested the test was could I blow out a Flame in front of the mask.

So he came up with a lighter and guess what? I could blow out the flame with the mask on!

His responds? "Don't Blow so hard".

the common "mask" is NOT going to stop it!

Rumor has it, "common sense" is becoming less common...

while i'm loathe to join this... Dan i agree with you on 3 points... And 1 more but not in your meaning.

1. Comon masks that dont seal well or do not have the correct density of fabric and/or filtering material are of nominal effect... Better than nothing... But not by much.

2. If you can blow on a candle and put it out from more that 15cm away... Not much use.

3. Dont blow so hard... Well you could return that comment back to them if the mask is not functional....

4. A dense fabric mask will significantly reduce transmission as it traps aerosols.. Its also a PITA to wear and certainly to do phycial activity in.

5. While the following point is somewhat the reverse of the argument, as its about self protection rather than protection of others....
Why run an airfilter on your car? Dust os small.. Takes ages to build up driving on sealed roads you dont see dust in the air when you drive and your engine will breathe better... Its because you've seen the results of fine particles in an engine...

I do not have the greatest faith in governments to do the right thing for people infront of their own interests... And i certainly am sceptical about their abilities to collaborate with each other in different countries..

So somehow globally they have managed to all agree to make this an issue... And places like UK amd portugal etc that in the last few weeks have maxed all their ICU units out with respiratory patients? All showing the same symptoms... and all these places that for the first time havent got capacity are just making it up?
You can debate total numbers... Debate what % of cases they attribute to Covid etc...
The thing id like your explanation on is how globally ICUs get full with people suffering the same thing....

I hope you don't get sick and suffer that trauma.. I hope you don't get asymptomatic and then pass it to people who will suffer that fate.

You can complian about it etc.. Nobody enjoys this crap... It screwed up so much stuff... But would you race your tiger without belts, helmet, roll bar, extinguisher, overalls, goggles and screen? Would you wear a helmet made out of a drink container plastic?

If the answer is yes... Because you are happy to take the chance then i can understand your point, because you would take that chance with your own safety.
But it likely means you wouldnt do something simple to protect someone else's.

If your friend hands you a useless mask dont wear it... Buy a proper mask and give one to him... Wearing an ineffective mask is basically as bad as not wearing one ... Because that person thinks they are protecting others... But they are not.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, as important as this topic is, this thread has always threatened to veer into political discussion, something that is against forum rules. After consultation with the other moderators, we have decided that it is best to lock this one down and prevent further discussion. I am sure there are plenty of other places where one can discuss Covid and Covid tests.

Status
Not open for further replies.