• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

The value of a Covid test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
He had other underlying illnesses!
That does not make him any less dead. If not for Covid 19 he would still be alive and doing good with the underlying illnesses.

I am, and have been for 25 years, diabetic. Doing just fine, thank you. If I get Covid I'll probably be dead within a few days.

Bill

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sorry Bill I’m not going to get into a pissing match on this subject!
But maybe after November 3 we can have discussion

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Sorry Bill I’m not going to get into a pissing match on this subject!
But maybe after November 3 we can have discussion
What is the subject you want to discuss? The no politics rule will not go away. If you have any facts, let 'em rip now. No problem.

Bill

spmdr

Diamond Level Sponsor
My $.02

The Value of the Test?

Let me see, there is no cure, and virtually no treatment, I don't see much value in the test.

The only first hand info I have is the step-son ( late 20s) of my Brother-in-law was tested positive with medium symptoms.

He self quarantined WITH his Negative tested wife and their infant child.

I don't see how he knowing he was positive changed much.

BTW, I, too, had an uncharacteristic illness last December that was significant for only one day.

Also, Mrs. spmdr is now a retired School teacher and has been known to GET a Winter illness like clock work,

in spite of getting a flu shot for at least the last 3 years.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
My $.02

The Value of the Test?

Let me see, there is no cure, and virtually no treatment, I don't see much value in the test.

The only first hand info I have is the step-son ( late 20s) of my Brother-in-law was tested positive with medium symptoms.

He self quarantined WITH his Negative tested wife and their infant child.

I don't see how he knowing he was positive changed much.

BTW, I, too, had an uncharacteristic illness last December that was significant for only one day.

Also, Mrs. spmdr is now a retired School teacher and has been known to GET a Winter illness like clock work,

in spite of getting a flu shot for at least the last 3 years.
Knowing is information and allows a person to take appropriate action such as the step-son did. My problem with the test was I was declared negative but to assume I was positive. That is contradictive and useless.

Bill

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
'I don't see how he knowing he was positive changed much.'
Knowing he was positive, he would self-isolate. That way he would not go out in public and spread Covid to god knows who and to how many. Then those he spread it would do likewise. That is the point of testing positive and self-isolation, to corral Civid. Can't understand people not grasping that concept.
With regard to negative testing and self-isolation that is something to question. Perhaps there was an indicator hinting to possible positive result and self-isolation was recommended, as to error on the safe side.
Just my .02 cents worth.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
This is inherently a political topic in my opinion. We've seen guys turn oil conversations into political speech. It's really easy did you know that we pay $0.75 a quart in California for recycling? Did you also know that the places that we drop it off are supposed to pay us for it but don't and never say anything about it. I'll stop now even though I stay away from the chit chat here because it gets political.

phyrman

SAOCA Secretary
Diamond Level Sponsor
When my wife tested Pos for Covid, I went and received 2 cover tests, Rapid and PCR...both nasal swabs
Rapid came out neg and 2 days later, the PCR was inconclusive, but presumed positive. That day I did start developing mild symptoms
You could be positive and the swab and subsequent test may not reach the threshold for a pos result.
A friend of my dad had it in December.... tested pos for antibodies in March

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, this thread is getting dangerously close to something that will need moderating and/or create ill will among members, something we are trying awfully hard to prevent. Let’s keep our political opinions to ourselves and focus on Alpines.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Just keep in mind that unless it is a beautiful sunny day and you want to tell us about your drive to the polls in your Alpine, November 4th doesn't belong here, either. :)

Fasttiger

Bronze Level Sponsor
I thought that was a peaceful protest. Jim I agree all the time and agree to disagree that's what gentleman do.

It was a very peaceful but now they are saying it has caused COVID with some unbelievable numbers
I thought that was a peaceful protest. Jim I agree all the time and agree to disagree that's what gentleman do.
Just keep in mind that unless it is a beautiful sunny day and you want to tell us about your drive to the polls in your Alpine, November 4th doesn't belong here, either. :)

loose_electron

Donation Time
On the value of testing:

- There is no cure, but there are a number of treatment methods, and drug combinations in use. The survival rate now, vs. 5-6 months back is a lot better.

- If you had quick response, cheap to do, testing available everywhere (5-15 minutes to results) you could use that to quickly isolate contagious people. It could be a tool to quickly beat this down.

- Matters of medicine and science should never be political. Too much of that has happened and caused a lot of damage.

my 2 cents

nsbluenose

Silver Level Sponsor
Fasttiger, you are a lucky man, perhaps. Hopefully you are not a carrier and spreading to many others. Mask wearing is not a sign of bravado, it is a sign of respect and decency to other people, so the spread of this nasty virus can stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.