• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator and fan problem

navyeod

Donation Time
The other day I took my Mark 1 tiger out to test out blocked horn holes and my cooling. I went around 10 miles on the interstate at 80mph and it did not overheat for the first time in Three years at interstate speeds. I turned around and headed back to my house on the interstate. As I wound it through the gears thinking how much I appreciate Dukes tech info I noticed a piece of shiny metal fly by my windshield which seemed to come from under my hood. My hood pops up a bit at high speeds (another project for another day) I kept on going as the car was running fine. Looked it over when I got home saw nothing. Drove it yesterday and today and noticed some vibration and finally saw I had lost a fan blade. Could see where it hit the interior of the hood, but did not dent it, but it did bust the radiator which is now leaking. The derale fan I have on it was cut down to 14 inches by me and then balanced, something I would highly NOT RECOMMEND. Looking over my setup I have a fluidyne aluminum radiator 2.5 inches thick. The derale fan, and the fan pulley is 3 inches wide. I only have around .5 to 3/8 inch clearance from the fan to the radiator. I am not sure I can raise that engine and use the derale 15 fan without hitting the radiator. Also the fan cut off still comes above the radiator and am concerned that the stock fan will hit my hood. I have not been able to see my engine mounts to see if this engine has been raised already, but remember the stock fan hitting the lower crossmember when we put it on initially. My question is there another more narrow radiator that can be used, or another more narrow pulley. This is my 2nd fluidyne as I hit a low curb stop with my lower cross member a couple of years ago and put another derale fan thru the radiator. I called Dale's Restorations to see about his setup but got his answer machine. Thanks for all your help and input. "all of us are ignorant, just about different things." Will Rogers

alpine_64

Donation Time
The other day I took my Mark 1 tiger out to test out blocked horn holes and my cooling. I went around 10 miles on the interstate at 80mph and it did not overheat for the first time in Three years at interstate speeds. I turned around and headed back to my house on the interstate. As I wound it through the gears thinking how much I appreciate Dukes tech info I noticed a piece of shiny metal fly by my windshield which seemed to come from under my hood. My hood pops up a bit at high speeds (another project for another day) I kept on going as the car was running fine. Looked it over when I got home saw nothing. Drove it yesterday and today and noticed some vibration and finally saw I had lost a fan blade. Could see where it hit the interior of the hood, but did not dent it, but it did bust the radiator which is now leaking. The derale fan I have on it was cut down to 14 inches by me and then balanced, something I would highly NOT RECOMMEND. Looking over my setup I have a fluidyne aluminum radiator 2.5 inches thick. The derale fan, and the fan pulley is 3 inches wide. I only have around .5 to 3/8 inch clearance from the fan to the radiator. I am not sure I can raise that engine and use the derale 15 fan without hitting the radiator. Also the fan cut off still comes above the radiator and am concerned that the stock fan will hit my hood. I have not been able to see my engine mounts to see if this engine has been raised already, but remember the stock fan hitting the lower crossmember when we put it on initially. My question is there another more narrow radiator that can be used, or another more narrow pulley. This is my 2nd fluidyne as I hit a low curb stop with my lower cross member a couple of years ago and put another derale fan thru the radiator. I called Dale's Restorations to see about his setup but got his answer machine. Thanks for all your help and input. "all of us are ignorant, just about different things." Will Rogers

If you go to a shallow pully wou have to align all your auxileries again..

the question is what water pump do you have? The tigers used a shallow water pump.. most aftermarket ones sit further forward.. have a look at the length of yours.

that said with dales radiator the fan will still be close.. why not switch to a 14" plastic flex fan?

navyeod

Donation Time
water pump

If you go to a shallow pully wou have to align all your auxileries again..

the question is what water pump do you have? The tigers used a shallow water pump.. most aftermarket ones sit further forward.. have a look at the length of yours.

that said with dales radiator the fan will still be close.. why not switch to a 14" plastic flex fan?

Michael I have a generic 260 water pump as I didnt know there was a different one for the Tiger. Where can that be purchased. Are there any other radiator options, I sure am going with another set up. Do you use the plastic 14 inch fan? Where can that fan be bought. Dale called me back and said if the wrong motor mounts are in my car that could move the engine forward. Thanks much.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael I have a generic 260 water pump as I didnt know there was a different one for the Tiger. Where can that be purchased. Are there any other radiator options, I sure am going with another set up. Do you use the plastic 14 inch fan? Where can that fan be bought. Dale called me back and said if the wrong motor mounts are in my car that could move the engine forward. Thanks much.

Dale is right that the wrong mounts will move the motor forward, and as you are aware without the heatsheilds on the mounts the motors sit lower too.

Summit sell the flex fans here is a picture of my setup:

As for Tiger specific water pumps, its really anout getting the shortest one you can, give a supplier a call and you will see that the shaft length can vary up to 1 3/4 inch depending on mfg.

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
It dose not matter what early pump you use, did you press off the pully arber and reverse it and press it down closer to the pump body, this will give you the clearance you need. If you are running a fat core rad. you may have a problem. The Griffen rads. made for Tiger work the best, it is a single core and gives all the cooling you need, you can get it in a 2 core as well. good luck:cool:

navyeod

Donation Time
It dose not matter what early pump you use, did you press off the pully arber and reverse it and press it down closer to the pump body, this will give you the clearance you need. If you are running a fat core rad. you may have a problem. The Griffen rads. made for Tiger work the best, it is a single core and gives all the cooling you need, you can get it in a 2 core as well. good luck:cool:
George where do you get the griffen radiators. My fluidyne is only 2.5 inches wide. Which I think is the same width as stock??? I am going to pull the radiator/ fan, water pump next week and will try to reverse the pully arber. I have access to a press. I noticed after Michaels reply that my fan belt angles a bit forward when it hits the alternator so I could get it in line with around a 1/2 inch shorter arber. That and maybe the motor mounts would give me the 1 inch or so clearance I need. david

navyeod

Donation Time
Thanks

I so appreciate all your help and expertise. I have never seen another tiger, so all my info has come from these sites and the internet. :)

Duke

Donation Time
I'll post some pictures of an original pump (kept it) and my engine compartment this afternoon.

I got my pump from Autozone. Asked for a 65 Falcon, 260, pump. I just pressed the pulley mount down ~1/2". I then cut off some of the shaft to just allow it to protrude through the pulley. It is still tight. I can remove the fan and pulley if I remove the fan shroud.

navyeod

Donation Time
I'll post some pictures of an original pump (kept it) and my engine compartment this afternoon.

I got my pump from Autozone. Asked for a 65 Falcon, 260, pump. I just pressed the pulley mount down ~1/2". I then cut off some of the shaft to just allow it to protrude through the pulley. It is still tight. I can remove the fan and pulley if I remove the fan shroud.

I think that is where I got my water pump. and a half inch seems about right for my set up to line up. I found the griffin supplier and they only make one radiator for the tiger now and it is 1.2 inch thicker than the fluidyne. 3 inch tank and 2.75 inch core. Fluidyne no longer makes the sunbeam tiger radiator. Its tank is 2.5 inches with the core around 2 inches. david

navyeod

Donation Time

I think that is where I got my water pump. and a half inch seems about right for my set up to line up. I found the griffin supplier and they only make one radiator for the tiger now and it is 1.2 inch thicker than the fluidyne. 3 inch tank and 2.75 inch core. Fluidyne no longer makes the sunbeam tiger radiator. Its tank is 2.5 inches with the core around 2 inches. david

navyeod

Donation Time
radiator

http://www.absoluteradiator.com/ProductPage.asp?idProd=305 awaiting the thickness measurements on this one. david there email reply to me earlier: Hi,

Fluidyne no longer makes a Sunbeam radiator, that is why we started
making our own. Our triple-pass radiator is based on the Fluidyne with
some minor improvements that make it an easier install. We radiator by
working with the same individual that helped Fluidyne design theirs.

Thanks,
Vince
Sales@AbsoluteRadiator.com

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
Call Doug Jennings at Tiger Auto he may have some Rads. left if not Griffen may have some in stock , these rads are a drop in as they are made just like the stock rads. as for the pump if you press off the arber and flip it over this works the best!:cool:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Yes i have the nylon flex fan on my car.. lots of people swotched to them.. i think its the same as the summiy one i listed.. but not 100% sure .. looks about the same deep profile and 14"

navyeod

Donation Time
griffin

Called doug, no rad in stock. Called griffin and it will be two weeks to build. Doug cheaper that ordering direct from griffin. Have the radiator ordered and two weeks to get mounts and fan and water pump adapted. Griffin radiator is only 1.5 inch core, and has no top and bottom tank, on the sides which will really help me in clearance. Thanks George:D:D

Duke

Donation Time
Original pump -

003-3.jpg

004-2.jpg

My modified Autozone pump with the smaller pulley and Derale fan -

005-1.jpg

006-3.jpg

navyeod

Donation Time
Duke

Duke, God Bless you. Great help. I wish you would tell me how to down load pics. I read your post on another site on that craigslist engine. Man that was a killer deal. Good work on that one. I am going to buy another water pump and go ahead and convert it while I am waiting for my radiator. May install my roll bar and seat belts while I am waiting. What I should do is pull this engine and get the leaking rear main seal replaced. Valve job on the head, and put a new world class T5 conversion in it, get Dale's front end suspension and rear springs, but not sure I could handle the cost and the resultant alimony. :):)

navyeod

Donation Time
Water pump

went to Autozone today and got a 65 falcon water pump. They only list a 289, not a 260. I pulled my radiator and took my old water pump off and the new one has a longer nose on it than the existing one which will not allow a half inch of shortening. I put my old water pump in a buddy's press and got about 7/16. I did not turn the flange around as I would have to enlarge the hole in the pulley and the denale fan to make it fit. Worried I would weaken the pulley and fan too much. I now have the same gap as Duke showed me of 3/16 inch between the housing and the back of the flange. Tomorrow will jack the car up and start shimming the motor mounts. Can I use aluminum as a heat shield and a spacer?? Do I need to shim the transmission mount also so as not to angle the fan?? I guess I must be able to get to the engine mounts from under the car, as I sure cant get to them from above? Thanks to all of you. david