• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Radiator and fan problem

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looking at my '65 Mustang 289, the lower (left facing it) small hose fitting on the pump goes to the heater core. The L shaped fitting on the intake next to the distributor also goes to the heater core. With a ford carb, one of these hoses is clamped against the automatic choke to heat it. So the routing of the small hose from the left fitting to the L shaped fitting probably serves no purpose and was done since you have no heater core. The other small hose is the by-pass for the thermostat allowing a small amount of coolant to flow when the thermostat is closed. There is a hose made for this with the bend molded so it doesn't kink. A source for these is National Parts Depot. I think you could pull the L-shaped fitting and put in a plug. Keep the fitting though, never know when you may need it. Then clamp a nipple type plug over the tube on the pump.

Also, when the engine is hot, what does the radiator core feel like from top to bottom. On a '93 Mustang, which I am the orignial owner of so I know its history, I had to replace the radiator at about 40K miles because the lower part of the core developed a block and when the top was hot, the bottom was cold.

SGW

Donation Time
Hi, I have a 260 tiger, last year I fitted an aluminium radiator and a 16" electric fan in front of the radiator. The fan is controlled with a thermostat in the rad, I also have an override switch just in case!! I did away with the engine driven fan. Great results no overheating at any speed or conditions and here in the UK its been 30c today. Temperature gauge reading 100c, I am running about 30% antifreeze and 82 degree thermostat.

Stewart.

alpine_64

Donation Time
David,

As has been mentioned the accuracy of the gauges can be an issue, and its worth checking the temp with an inferred thermometer on the temp sender.

What i had forgotten until raised recently in another forum is that if the tiger is not heating at idle.. but does so on the run it can often be an issue with the lower radiator hose. On the Tiger there should be a metal spring in the lower hose to stop it suctioning closed at speed and load, check the bottom hose has the spring.. if not it might explain the higher temps when on the run.

navyeod

Donation Time
Lower radiator hose

Michael the lower hose has a spring in it. I noticed that when I replaced my Radiator. Car runs predictably now with temps around 205 in this Alabama heat (low to mid 90's). I think the turbulence around the temp sensor was the issue. That plastic fan is working well. Thanks. :):)

navyeod

Donation Time
oil stick housing

I simply bent the oil stick housing so as it cleared the hose. Have not had a problem with the gauge since. david:eek::eek::eek: