• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam

66Tiger

Donation Time
Those are some amazing cars...I am drooling all over my keyboard....and not sure I can finish my car now. They really are works of art.

Paul

afssanders

Donation Time
Fine rides

Those are some amazing cars...I am drooling all over my keyboard....and not sure I can finish my car now. They really are works of art.

Paul

Thank you. I'm pretty proud of what I've done in the past 12 years. There is actually more cars. They just don't really have a place here.

afssanders

Donation Time
Mga

:cool: Simply amazing, who needs mirrors. Judging by the car show the MGA was at on the final photo, something tells me that it does not have the original motor ;) . By the way, your ghia is also amazing

Regards, Robin.

The MG doesn't have the original engine. It's a little aluminum V8 out of a Buick and a nice 4 speed to go along with it. I need to get my butt over to his place and give him a hand. He need to tie up some loose end on it before it's road worthy.

Alan F

Donation Time
afssanders,

I think I found your sanders at Eastwood and was looking at the different lengths. I was wondering what lengths you would recommend for an Alpine? I am getting close to that point with my standard width Alpine!

I am looking forward to seeing your finished product. You have quite and imagination (in a good way).

Alan F

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
See, plenty of eye brows have been raised with your 'little' project. :)

I do have a question now that I've seen the MGA. Do you plan to leave the Sunbeam tail lamps in the car? Personally I think it would look best that way but was curious how you plan to do it.

afssanders

Donation Time
Adjustable Flexibility Sanders

afssanders,

I think I found your sanders at Eastwood and was looking at the different lengths. I was wondering what lengths you would recommend for an Alpine? I am getting close to that point with my standard width Alpine!

I am looking forward to seeing your finished product. You have quite and imagination (in a good way).

Alan F

I'll be using every sander I sell to my distributors and quite a few custom models as well. The bodybody work is what lures people in to look at your car. It's very important. If you had to have just one for a Sunbeam. It would have to be the 27. It's awesome!! Truthfully though. Your best bet is to buy the Master kit. You'll use every sander in the kit on your car.
You'll be seeing a boat load of photos on here shortly on bodywork be performed on a Sunbeam. I am getting very close to spending some mud.

afssanders

Donation Time
Tail lights

I do have a question now that I've seen the MGA. Do you plan to leave the Sunbeam tail lamps in the car? Personally I think it would look best that way but was curious how you plan to do it.

I'll be making the tail lights for the Sunbeam. They will be slightly different then what is there. They pretty much will be the same shape just curved ever so slight. I don't want to take away from the appeal or what makes a Sunbeam a Sunbeam.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor

Thats my question , too. What is in store for the rear end.
You sure do have a load of "that vision thing".
The finished profile of this car will be a thing of beauty and the rake on the top will just make it better.

afssanders

Donation Time
Rear end

Thats my question , too. What is in store for the rear end.
You sure do have a load of "that vision thing".
The finished profile of this car will be a thing of beauty and the rake on the top will just make it better.

Thanks for all the compliments.

You'll just have to wait a couple of weeks and see what I have in mind. Yesterday I converted my old hood hinges to hidden truck hinges. Tonight I'm taking the night off. I'll be working on it tomorrow night. I need to get that deck lid fitting better and finish up welding on it.

66Tiger

Donation Time
I liked your solution for the hidden trunk hinges.

I really thought about doing that on my car with my spare hood hinges also. I ended up buying a factory hardtop (actually two to make one) so that solved my hidden hinge dilemma.

I always thought the cars could have looked cleaner without the chrome hinges out back on the trunk lid.

Paul

afssanders

Donation Time
Smooth looking cars

I'll be getting rid of those ugly ass door outside handles soon too.

I cut my knuckle open pretty good the other day and thought it was OK, cause it felt fine, but this morning when I woke up and it hurt quite a bit, so I have to take a break for a couple of days. I did however free up my stock e-brake handle this evening and may get started on that this weekend. I think I should lay off grabbing stuff and hammering for a bit though, so you guys wont be seeing much progress this weekend. I plan on finishing up the fitting of the deck lid and hinges this week though. I'll be recessing the license plate into the lid also and having some lights built into the pan. This will free up a little space in the pan. I'll need it, because as you probably are aware there isn't much room on the Sunbeam deck lid for the American style plate.

66Tiger

Donation Time
We must be twins seperated at birth...a couple of sketches I did in late 2004.

The only one I am sure I will be doing is the recessed licensed plate (I have an extra deck lid and I already made a metal box for the plate), still debating about the door handles.

Paul

I'll be getting rid of those ugly ass door outside handles

doort.jpg

I'll be recessing the license plate into the lid

trunkt.jpg

and one of a whimsical fender vent...included just because...

VentEt.jpg

61Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Hinges

Bill on your shaved trunk hinges, what did you use for hinges and how are they mounted.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Very nice car

I like the recessed driving lights in the front valance and the dash. Is that an aluminum facia or all aluminum? The missing outside door handles and trim are very nice too.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I like the look of the hidden hinges, but how will someone hold the rear of the hard top, without the hole in the front of the stock trunk hinges? I understand that on this race Alpine, the top isn´t used, but just wanted to know how, for those street cars that go with this, would manage that.

Jose

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
The aftermarket top I had for my Series II did not use the trunk hinges. It was held in place with a couple of good ole fashioned turnbuckles into specially supplied eye bolts. Crude? Oh yeah!

Bill

afssanders

Donation Time
Sunbeam pictures

We must be twins seperated at birth...a couple of sketches I did in late 2004.

The only one I am sure I will be doing is the recessed licensed plate (I have an extra deck lid and I already made a metal box for the plate), still debating about the door handles.

Paul

I couldn't help myself. I made myself a brace for my knuckle. and started working on my car again. I fitted the deck lid and welded it up. I noticed a problem that will need some attention while I was at it. There's a pretty big gap on the bottom of the lid. Instead of adding a 1/2" to the bottom of the lid. I'm going to raise the roll pan up a bit. I have to get back there and do some modding anyways. I'll get some pictures up soon enough.

By the way I looked at all your pictures and it's one of the nicest Sunbeams I've seen. Very cool. Looks like you have some serious money in that bad boy.