• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Project Sunbeam

afssanders

Donation Time
I've had a request to post updated images of my project. For those of you that have had a look already. The most recent images are at the end of the second link below. Recent work consists of a windshield. Which leads to quite a bit more then meets the eye. You'll see what it takes to get a 88 Audi 5000 windshield to fit a Sunbeam. I forgot to take pictures of the chopping of the window. No biggy though, cause this window was used as a pattern anyways, so I'll get images of the real deal. The windshield had 14-1/2" cut out from the top and bottom and 2" off each side as well.
I also forgot to take pictures of the convertible top chop. I took a inch and a half out of the top.

With you guys help I have learn the real year. It's a 61 Sunbeam Alpine.

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100309

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100348

Until next time.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
The Audi windscreen, was it due to availability that you chose that or was there something specific about it's shape?

I would think you'd have to do more to the convertible top than some trimming if this car is wider than a factory Alpine......

Your comment on the last windscreen picture speaks volumes. :)

Luck! We look forward to the next chapter!

afssanders

Donation Time
audi windshield

I went to a few junkyards with a pattern. I went from car to car to car looking for the best fit for my app. It just so happened the Audi windshield had a good curve in both directions.

I finished welding and grinding the windshield frame tonight. I did a little work to the doors too. I'm so happy that is finished. I don't really like doing stuff like that much. Very tedious work. The gap for adhesive has to be right on. Windshields don't flex much.

This weekend I'll be working on those little curved deals that clamp on the one of the convertible top bows.

As always the newest images are at the end of the second link.

Rodewaryer

Donation Time
I have a hard time imagining the scope of this project even after seeing all those pictures. I got intimidated drilling holes in the bootlid of my LS to mount a spoiler, or dremeling behind the face of my Focus' dash to get a double DIN stereo to fit. Those were tough projects for this kid and it's like baby steps compared to your Alpine.

I'll be watching here with interest for whatever's next. Nice work!

afssanders

Donation Time
I was bought up to do this stuff.

I was taught to stick or arc weld at a very young age(11) I came home from school and practiced on the daily, then I was taught different types of welding(gas, mig and tig). I was then taught how to make stuff from all types of metal by someone that was great at it, I know this because I ended up working with people he worked with. At this point I' am 16. I built cars and things out of metal for 10 years, then went into the Sheetmetal workers union for about 5 years. I got bored of that and started building cars again. Which leads me to what I do today. I invented a sander that makes doing bodywork very easy and painless. I've been making and refining these since 99, so wow! 10 years now in Sept. Times moving alone pretty good.

My Dad builds cars still and was also my teacher. My Grandpa was a boiler maker. My last name is Wheeler. Cars are in my blood.

Wait til I get into the dash and tail lights.

Thanks for all the kind remarks:)

66Tiger

Donation Time
Truly an amazing and inspirational project....you got some mad skillz!

I do have two questions...

How the heck do you find the time?

(I had to scale back my minor modifications just to get my car back on the road after 4 years.)

And do you offer a "SunbeamAlpine Dot Org" member discount on your sanders?

(With how long everything takes me these days I am dreading starting on my basic bodywork)

Paul

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have been following your progress and as Paul asks"How do you have the time?"Surely not a family man with 3 to 5 kids and a mortgage
I also would be interested in your sander as I fool around with some modifications.My welding was self taught from a book.
FYI
I enclose a picture of my 64 alpine so called "The Spirit of Lister"It is not an exact replica but built in the spirit of the Lister tigers.It has 351 windsor.
5 speed motor sport trannt.8 inch ford rear end.after market tubular a arms ala Mustang II plus the Mustang rack.Mustang spindles.rotors and brakes
Body work is all metal.I enjoy doing the work maybe as much or more than driving.
Keep at it and hopefully soon we will see the finished project.I look eagerly to see the results
Enjoy the journey

Attachments

• lister cropped.jpg
    lister cropped.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 39

afssanders

Donation Time
How do I find the time.

You guys probably wont believe this, but I also exercise every other day for an hour no matter what time I get finished up with work or the Sunbeam. I have a 2 month old son. A daughter (18) and another son(17). I work a lot, but do find the time to spend with the family. As you probably already know I also own and operate a business and yes unfortunately do have a mortgage. Tonight I'll be moving some stuff for my sister in-law and spending time with my wife's family after that. Last weekend I watched my new son all weekend while my wife watched my sister new baby.
I just finished up with lunch and spent some time with Gavin my new boy. No doubt I'm a busy person and my wife excepts my shortcomings.

Because of my background in sheetmetal I'm very productive. I don't watch much TV unless I'm on the computer looking up Sunbeam related stuff;)

Oh and before I forget. Chuck and Rodewaryer your cars are a couple of the best looking Sunbeams I've ever seen. They are very cool. I do like them and would stop and look at them for quite awhile.

I'll definitely think about this discount thing, because of some papers we signed I'm not allowed to sell cheaper then a couple of my dealers. That doesn't mean I can't give stuff away.

Here's a website for you guys. http://www.adjustflexsand.com

66Tiger

Donation Time
I am thinking I would also bring my car around to your shop when I picked them up...maybe get a demonstration on the proper use of the sanders! :D

Seriously though, if I was close enough I would try to invite myself over to your shop to see your Frankenpine in person...hopefully you will make the Sunbeam Show Circuit sometime and some of us will be lucky enough to see it up close and personal.

Paul

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I take it back about no kids and a mortgage.Truly you are a dedicated person.
I ride the stationary bike in the winter.can't wait till it gets warmer as I do ride the bike for about 8 miles every morning.I must admit after 8 or 8.30 PM I do watch TV.Mornings start around 5.30/6 AM.I think I deserve to slow down as I will be 71 in July.
Right now I'm building another front end for the 62.working on the house.Helping my sons do renovations.We baby sit as well although not as much as before.10 grandchildren help keep us busy.
Enjoy the journey but then I think you are doing just that

afssanders

Donation Time
I take it back about no kids and a mortgage.Truly you are a dedicated person.
I ride the stationary bike in the winter.can't wait till it gets warmer as I do ride the bike for about 8 miles every morning.I must admit after 8 or 8.30 PM I do watch TV.Mornings start around 5.30/6 AM.I think I deserve to slow down as I will be 71 in July.
Right now I'm building another front end for the 62.working on the house.Helping my sons do renovations.We baby sit as well although not as much as before.10 grandchildren help keep us busy.
Enjoy the journey but then I think you are doing just that

I hope to be able to do what you can at your age. Really!!!

afssanders

Donation Time
Sunbeam show

I am thinking I would also bring my car around to your shop when I picked them up...maybe get a demonstration on the proper use of the sanders! :D

Seriously though, if I was close enough I would try to invite myself over to your shop to see your Frankenpine in person...hopefully you will make the Sunbeam Show Circuit sometime and some of us will be lucky enough to see it up close and personal.

Paul

I wouldn't mind if someone came to visit. I'm going to try to make it to the show in SD. Back to the fifties overlaps that show however. I'm building the car to drive, so it'll be at a few of them. I don't know how it'll fit though.

64beam

Donation Time
It sounds like you have been taught very well from the start. My Dad was a boiler maker as well and now I wish I got him to show me more of his tricks. I didn't follow in his footsteps though (I'm an electrician).
You are definitely a master at what you do which shows in your work. The windscreen frame looks great. As with the other guys, I am eager to see more as the project takes shape. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Robin.

afssanders

Donation Time
trades

It sounds like you have been taught very well from the start. My Dad was a boiler maker as well and now I wish I got him to show me more of his tricks. I didn't follow in his footsteps though (I'm an electrician).
You are definitely a master at what you do which shows in your work. The windscreen frame looks great. As with the other guys, I am eager to see more as the project takes shape. Keep up the excellent work.

Regards, Robin.

Thank you very much. Electrician's have nice skills as well.

Mod_Squad!

Bronze Level Sponsor
That Alpine is incredible. I agree with the other guys, you definitely have some very nice skills. Are you using lead in the bodywork (sorry if this has been covered before)? I'm going to have to check out your sanders too. Nice Karmann Ghia poster. That was my first car I ever worked on :).
I just can't believe the amount of work you've put into this car. It would take me 100 years and I would still wouldn't even have one of them cut in half :).
Can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done. I'll bet your son can't wait to drive it too :). Nice prom ride.
Bryan

afssanders

Donation Time
cars

That Alpine is incredible. I agree with the other guys, you definitely have some very nice skills. Are you using lead in the bodywork (sorry if this has been covered before)? I'm going to have to check out your sanders too. Nice Karmann Ghia poster. That was my first car I ever worked on :).
I just can't believe the amount of work you've put into this car. It would take me 100 years and I would still wouldn't even have one of them cut in half :).
Can't wait to see what it looks like when you're done. I'll bet your son can't wait to drive it too :). Nice prom ride.
Bryan

That poster is of my Dads car.. Which by the way at that time I didn't have the money to restore one, so it took the idea and ran with it. He wanted to keep my SUnbeam as well. Here is a link to a page I through together for his car.

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100372

I'am not good to be usig lead unless it calls for it. Now-a-days the mud is incredible. I use some of the best. Rage Gold. Very good stuff.

It's funny that you should say that about prom night. I'm still thinking about letting him use it. It's a stick though. He has had some experience smashing one of my trucks up and it was a stick too. I'm going to be thinking about it a little longer.

afssanders

Donation Time
Here's some more of my work I did about 9 years ago

http://gallery.me.com/mnwheelers/100364

I came across this photo of the stock MGA and Sunbeam. I did the sheetmetal mods and mud on the MGA for a friend and am building the Sunbeam for myself. I just thought it would be cool to see the difference.

I just thought you guys might like it too.

65beam

Donation Time
projects

body looks great! how about some photos showing the rest of the car such as the interior, engine compartment and running gear .

64beam

Donation Time
:cool: Simply amazing, who needs mirrors. Judging by the car show the MGA was at on the final photo, something tells me that it does not have the original motor ;) . By the way, your ghia is also amazing

Regards, Robin.