• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Charles John's Alpine Build

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Dan, I visit the Ranger Station site often as I have a 2011 Ford Ranger for my work truck, and the 85 2.3 in the Sunbeam. I have a button system figured out to lock the converter in OD, so I am just looking for "better" ideas than mine...which I can usually find with ease.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, I think I have solved the space problem by notching the front crossmember. Due to weight I want to keep it as low as possible and as far back as possible. Moving back is not easy with OEM steering, so may need Dan's cross-link. I'll know in a day or two.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, I think I have solved the space problem by notching the front crossmember. Due to weight I want to keep it as low as possible and as far back as possible. Moving back is not easy with OEM steering, so may need Dan's cross-link. I'll know in a day or two.
Notching the crossmember to install a Lima engine is somewhat a shock to my tender system. Notching the crossmember is one reason I have not encouraged anyone to install a Duratec.
Of course there are a half dozen other reasons.
Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Bill, I will attach some pictures of my modification later. It is not as big a cut as others have done because I build DRIVERS. It will be braced with metal at least as thick as the OEM and not all the way down to the bottom metal on the crossmember. Well on my way in the modification department and getting excited about the build. These little cars grow on me the more I work on it...but I have owned it over 30 years.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Dan, what did you do about the lock-up converter? With no computer I am putting a button on the shifter to lock it when in Overdrive.
I'm putting an A4LD into my Series I 2.8 V6 conversion project. I found this article on The Ranger Station website on using a pressure switch for the lock up converter...I'm going to try this approach...sounds like it might take a bit of experimentation to arrive at the pressure value that works best for the specific case but the idea seems sound. Worse case, its easy enough to fall back on the manual switch approach.

https://www.therangerstation.com/ho...pressure-switch-for-lock-up-torque-convertor/

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Anyone have suggestions for a shifter? With a C4 in my Street Rods I used the Mustang OEM style shifter but not sure that is best for the A4LD. I have used shifters mounted to the tranny and also mounted to the floor. With a straight "front - rear" pattern, I can make a shifter but usually adapting an off-the-shelf unit seems to look more factory. With P-R-N-D-L-O...I think, a knob can have the positions marked on it. I have not looked at the shift-arm lately so I am not sure about gear positions. Anyway, just looking now, before getting there.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Thanks 260. My 2011 Ranger has a column shifter so I did not know. The pix show notch piece almost ready to weld-in, and a template of poster paper for motor mounts. A slow process but I am getting there.

Attachments

• IMG_2233.JPG
    IMG_2233.JPG
    698.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2231.JPG
    IMG_2231.JPG
    547.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2230.JPG
    IMG_2230.JPG
    476 KB · Views: 38

65beam

Donation Time
Power brakes is not an option with dual piston M/C.

Bill
Bill,
FYI, Sunbeam did use a booster with a dual master when they built sedans and fastbacks starting in 1968. The booster was connected to the front brakes only. No boost to the rear brakes. They switched from Girling to Lockheed units at that time. There is a block on the fire wall that many think was a proportioning valve but it actually senses a loss of brake pressure to trigger the brake light warning light on the dash. This valve has to be centered before bleeding brakes. It's the brass piece barely visible between the carb and head. Four lines attach to it.100_0254.JPG

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
There were some Triumphs also and an aftermarket one for MGB's. You have to go to a larger wheel cylinder for rear drums or larger piston in rear disk caliper for balance.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There were some Triumphs also and an aftermarket one for MGB's. You have to go to a larger wheel cylinder for rear drums or larger piston in rear disk caliper for balance.
Larger cylinders can get you pretty deep into alligators. Been there, done that. Short story, your likely to end up exactly where you started, only with larger cylinders. I'd much rather use larger rotors.

Bill

65beam

Donation Time
Keep in mind that the wheel cylinders are Lockheed and not Girling. They're a different bore and look nothing like the Girling.

Last edited:

65beam

Donation Time
Nice looking engine compartment there Bob!
Thanks Dan. It's been a few years for this car so my winter project is get the engine compartment disassembled and detailed before my next project comes out of the body shop .I'm seriously thinking about AC on the GT. We dropped the project off last Saturday so who knows when I'll get it back. The 302 in it will have a Fitech injection system installed when it hits the road.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Just realized that I made this POST "out of subject" so I will start a new THREAD.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Anyone have suggestions for a shifter?

I picked up this shifter somewhere (can't remember where now)...I think its from an Aerostar van...but, since the A4LD switches in the OD electrically, I don't know what the 4th position does for you. I'm leaning towards using a Mustang C4 shifter as that is also what I'm most familiar with. I think the simplest way to do things will be to use a cable shift rather than the mechanical lever shift like the Mustang would have. I'm a long ways from getting to that point with my project but I think a cable shift setup can be fairly easily fabricated.

Attachments

• Sunbeam Shifter.jpg
    Sunbeam Shifter.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 19

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Bill, It must make an electrical connection to enable the OD solenoid when shifted into that position. The pressure switch for the lockup clutch is a good idea. My 2005 F150 has a button on the shifter to enable OD.

Bill Eisinger

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill, It must make an electrical connection to enable the OD solenoid when shifted into that position. The pressure switch for the lockup clutch is a good idea. My 2005 F150 has a button on the shifter to enable OD.
I completely understand how it works...the question at hand is whether a 4 position shifter can somehow be used to accomplish that...the answer is most likely "yes" with some kind of switch rigged up to the shifter that engages when it is in the "O" position...the pressure switch approach is by far the easiest way to go for automatic engagement...some may also wish to wire a switch in parallel to allow for manual operation...the ideal solution would be to find a 3 position shifter with a separate OD button as you have on your F150...