• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Charles John's Alpine Build

Charles Johns

Donation Time
260, your idea is probably what I will do. Having owned many Mustangs over the years I have extra shift parts...but not the correct stuff. THANKS.

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Anyone dimple/bubble the hood to clear the engine or carb? I'm installing my 3.2 now and making motor mounts, and it looks like I MAY need to do hood work for clearance. Not sure yet. I notched the front crossmember to clear the engine crank pully and I may need to move the engine 1/8" to the passenger side for intake clearance. I'm running an Esslinger 2-barrel aluminum intake and it may hit the steering box. The engine torques to the passenger side so I don't need much, just enough to keep it from rattling. Almost certain I will need the modified steering cross-bar in the rear.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
When I used the "over the top" turbo with the 2.0 Pinto, I needed another 1/4" for the turbo. I got that by installing a small hood scoop. When the turbo came out a Holley-Weber was installed on a stock manifold. No clearance issues, used a small after market air filter. All that was over ten years ago and I still got a hole my head. Er, I mean hood.

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Understand, I hate cutting the hood and I am trying to lower the motor. Pulling the motor tomorrow and welding in the frame mount brackets. Today finishing up the pass-side frame piece. My stick welding SUCKS, but like my old welder friend said...Make sure you get good penetration no matter what it looks like. Slowly getting back the "feel" but it is much different than my 30 plus years using my MIG. Pictures later this week...I HOPE!

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Well crap! Just installed motor with new mounts and can't get motor in correct position balanced front-to-back and side-to-side. MUST fabricate a new driver's side mount. Building is what I love to do, but when templates in poster paper do not transfer to metal well, one must make a new one. Back to my design mode Alpine friends.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I have found the following to be my regular mode of operations:
Make up a cardboard pattern. Throw it away when it gets about half done, realizing the concept is okay, but I forgot to accommodate the starter.
Make up a second pattern. Looks good.
Make up a real part. Got screwed up, did not make proper allowance for material thickness.
Make up a second part. Allowance for part thickness in the wrong plane.
Make third part. Perfect part!
Three months later, determine the "perfect part" is in the way. Can't get the exhaust pipe between it and the crossmember. Gotta make a choice. Mod the crossmember or part.
Make up a new cardboard pattern.

My wife's cousin works for a high dollar fabricator in Indy's Gasoline Alley. At a family get together, he was showing a magazine that had a truck he had constructed on its cover. I showed him my car and told him of all of my redesigns and the trashed parts. He said it was par for the course and a rarity for him to make a part that was not removed to be redone or modified 10 - 15 times. As he out it, "It is a slow process".

Bill

Charles Johns

Donation Time
Went to metal scrap yard today and purchased 50 lbs. of plate. That is 2 pieces, one about 18" x 24" and the other about 24" x 36." With luck I now have enough to make both motor mounts, the transmission mount, shifter brackets, AC evaporator mounts, and any bracing needed. If not, the young lady at the metal place is rather nice to look at, and we are becoming first-name friends. Even after mounts are made I may need more metal...not sure what I will need it for, but I will think of something. OH, dropping motor down about 3/4" to clear Carb air-cleaner. No big deal but since I need to make new ones, why not use the space available...I did notch the front crossmember. I really miss my old band saw. The Hot Wrench works but requires lots of grinding to smooth things out. My stick welding is gradually coming back but MIG/TIG is so much nicer looking. Sold my MIG, milling machine, drill press, band saw, and lost my high-dollar hole saws, valve spring compressor, torque wrenches, full set of gauges, a new tan soft-top, and a bunch of other odds and ends. Moving this last time was a disaster.