• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

California Legacy License Plates

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Gotta love CA DMV, not.

I sent back the DMV paperwork asking if I wanted to keep things Non-Op or Register my vehicle, I checked off Register and sent it back with a check and proof of insurance just as as requested on the form. Instead of a Registration I got an *Incomplete Application* *This Is Not An Operating Permit* along with a list of 'demands' overly highlighted all over the place by hand in bright yellow which are, a signed Title/Reg 343 Application, Verification of Vehicle Identification Number, an *additional fee* of $19 and a SMOG Certificate, ya, a SMOG Cert., what?!

I think I might have ruffled some feathers, geez.

JonPiz

Donation Time
re UFO in the picture

The certificate of non use is so when you turn off or cancel your insurance on your non running hobby car they will not cancel the registration.

Not a lot advantage in carrying liability insurance on a car that does not run.

Jody had no pink slip or old registration connecting the car to the plates right? If he did you should be able to re use them UNLESS the plate number is being used already, that is the best option.

Our friends at CHP do not do any safety check just a vin number check and since pre 68 cars did not have motor numbers recorded and there are no hidden vins it is a quickie for them.

Looked all over for the Yellow paint you speak of if you see on at your local hardware store grab one for me. Been to OSH, Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, and the local mom and pop with no luck. Also there is a John Deere Tractor color and a school bus that may work.

They do photo copy the plates to send your "Suspense" application to Sacramento. Making your own will insure that that do not do a color copy and put that fly in your ointment. From what the grapevine says they use a magnet to see that they are ferrous and not a repop in aluminium.

They are not getting around the no tampering rule, as you never know if you get pulled over, its up to the cop his attitude and yours....

My plates are missing a pretty fair amount of paint and they passed. They were on a parts car I own and have a dealer in Oceanside and were original to a 66 SIV.

That hardtop was more rusty than it showed on the car and is still a W.I.P.

It was hard not to pick the clock off that car, lucky for you the Tiger one is different....

But at the end of the day some of us do not rape and pillage old guys like your cars PO Now if he had a daughter...

The recycled plate is on my car now a Blue non factory color 66.

See you in Irvine..

I think the aliens are visiting your house whilst you took that picture of your spares cars

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Bird

I think the aliens are visiting your house whilst you took that picture of your spares cars

That was were I rescued the cars from, I am in Redondo Beach Torrance area.
I hauled the cars to Palmdale/Pearblossom were they sit,waiting.

I used the plates off the round corner parts car on my Tiger.
The original player frame was on it too. Too bad it didn't say Hollywood Sports Cars cause those are $$$

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well, a stop at AAA and 20 minutes later it was Registered, no fee's and I walked out with a set of plates and tags. The clerk there thought whomever it was at DMV that made those demands must have been shootin' up marijuana seeds or something, SMOG?, really? :D

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
It only took 2 1/2 years, but I got my plates today.
IMG_2753-X2.jpg

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
Too many long winded comments at this time of night.... all I can say is WHAT A BEAUTIFUL KITTEN! ... Black plates don't make the ride ... Thought I'm restoring mine .... Glad to see another kitten on the road! ... Great job!

... David

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Resurrecting an old but pertinent thread.

After several years my Alpine is finally close to hitting the road. I have an appointment with the DMV coming up (bummed this couldn't be handled at my local friendly AAA office) and I'm crossing my fingers that 1) I can use my original plates 2) they don't confiscate them instead. The other option nowadays available is to get the new CA Black Plates which became available recently, to ANY vehicle. I don't like them, especially on new black Range Rovers and the like. Makes me feel the 'original' black plates are even more coveted, cool and 'non-poser' looking.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Grrreat

Hey good to hear what was the guy's name you got that from. Was the plate number on the pink slip? Don't restore them first and you have to have two in fair condition. I don't have your phone number anymore , cheers Warren

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hey good to hear what was the guy's name you got that from. Was the plate number on the pink slip? Don't restore them first and you have to have two in fair condition. I don't have your phone number anymore , cheers Warren

Hi Warren, I was hoping you'd see this.

Lol, funny, I was just thinking of asking you what that guys name was, nice guy. I told him if I ever got it on the road I'd drive it over and show him. Really looking forward to that some day.

Unfortunately, there was no pink slip, Title, Registration or any documentation of even a previous owner. Even the plates were out of the DMV database and could not be legally associated with the car.

Can the DMV actually confiscate the plates?

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Brought the old plates to DMV (making an appointment at least get's you to the front of the line when you get there but you still get a ticket and have to wait for your number to be called, which was a half hour after my 'appointment' was 'scheduled').

Going thru the YOM program the clerk looked at both plates and said one of them had been painted, which would disqualify it (her eagle eye caught where I had tried to fill in some numbers using yellow paint on the worse beat up plate), but, when she went to make a photo copy of the plates to send to Sacramento she grabbed only the much better plate with the original 1967 blue tag and nearly all the paint still intact (which was the only one I was going to use anyway, on the back of the car). A single document to fill out and $45 bucks later it will now be up to the license plates Gods, we'll see in a few weeks.

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
X fingers

Sorry we did not talk before you went in but the clerk may have done you a big favor. W

P. Scofield

Bronze Level Sponsor
Sounds like a great program. If they didn't have it, you'd be bitchen about not having a way to get those classic plates!

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Legacy Vs Y.O.M.

Mike and I had drifted to a Year of Manufacture program discussion . The Legacy plates have a yearly cost like a Vanity plate. Y.O.M. is 10bucks extra a year. No bitching here just the facts.

The Legacy plates are turning up on new Land Rovers and many new cars. They also have a reflective and fuzzy coating. I believe they are 40 bucks a year more than the standard fee for an older car which is 90 to 100 bucks.

Totally no bitching here as if California decided to personal property tax our cars like other states I'd be renting a mailbox and a room in Henderson Nevada :)

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I have a neighbor who's an avid car collector (67'Ford Mustang 427, 67 Chevelle 396 and a 68 Z28 Camero among others beauties) who's daily driver is a late model Crown Vic. He had his blue and white plates custom painted in the early blk and yellow color scheme .. WHY? .. I have no idea, but they look good except the letters and spacing is a little different then the orig. early plates. He's had no problem with law enforcement(Yet) and unless the DMV wants to check his plates(why would they?) he's fine ... They don't look right to me, but he's happy!

...... David

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have a neighbor who's an avid car collector (67'Ford Mustang 427, 67 Chevelle 396 and a 68 Z28 Camero among others beauties) who's daily driver is a late model Crown Vic. He had his blue and white plates custom painted in the early blk and yellow color scheme .. WHY? .. I have no idea, but they look good except the letters and spacing is a little different then the orig. early plates. He's had no problem with law enforcement(Yet) and unless the DMV wants to check his plates(why would they?) he's fine ... They don't look right to me, but he's happy!

...... David

Ballzy manuever, but I can understand why.

CA Black Plates on a 60's classic car is the icing on the cake. It's that one last thing that completes the look and feel you get when admiring a car from that pinnacle time of when cars were King in Southern California. The way those black plates are so historically associated with that era they tend to catch your eye and lend authenticity to the vehicle.

I had to almost beg the PO of my Alpine to let me keep the plates with the car when he sold it to me because since the car had no paperwork or history he was going to keep the plates and use them on a California registered Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite he had ( he said he had 3 of those vehicles stuffed in a storage container! Among several other old cars on his property).

The CA Black Plates are so important to the look of those 60's classics that guys are scouring flea markets and eBay for the original black plates to 'complete' their restorations with one of the last 'serviceable' plates (not bent, painted or otherwise restored in any way, otherwise they can be rejected by CA DMV, in addition, if I remember correctly, even if they are serviceable, they cannot be associated with any previous vehicle, i.e., no longer in the CA DMV database). And if 'original' black plates can't be found to use in the YOM Program then guys are willing to go the much higher fee based Vanity Plates route in order to get the new black plates. I too am willing to go that route if my plates are rejected.

I know just for authenticity reasons (not an additional CA DMV requirement, I think) guys are also looking for and paying allot of money for the original plate tags that match the year their car was originally first registered. I was lucky enough to be able to carefully peel back the many years of old sticker tags to get down to the very first tag, the original 1967 blue tag from when it was originally registered, still shiny and like new looking after being completely covered up for some50 years or so.

For a 60's California classic car owner, a set of original CA Black Plates are indeed a prized possession and if lucky enough to be original to the car, you've hit the jackpot (well, for bragging rights anyway ;) ).

Last edited:

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Nice, got the original black lates approved. The new registration reflecting the change in license plate number (from the new white CA plates they assigned to my vehicle when it was first registered) came with gigantic looking metal tabs that your supposed to stick the new tags on and then attach the metal tab to your plate, either sticking up like a sore thumb or off the the right side.

Your supposed to not alter your now approved original plates in any way so you cannot simply put the new stickers over the old ones, though apparently some guys are doing just that. Others are attaching the metal tab on in a way that when traveling it can be swiveled into view, but then swiveled behind the plate when at a show. That's probably what I'll do.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
10 guys

I know at least 10 guys who just have regular month and year on YOM plates and the registration does not list the year specific 1966 or otherwise sticker with its ancient number which was present on the paper copy . Totally stupid rule. Even if you move plate to another 1966 car they don't have to see plates again or if car is sold to another they can be transferred. The plate toppers are really aggravating to be sure..