• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

California Legacy License Plates

whoizrob

Donation Time
So....

If I have a current black and yellow, I can get a reissue? Mine is kind of beat up....

It's not clear if this is a programm for current antique plate owners to get new reprints of the original plate, or for anyone to get old looking plates with new numbers for any car....

Rob

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Math

Do the math. If you go Cali. legacy plat program it will cost roughly the same as their personalized plates 40 bucks I think. The 40 bucks will be in addition to the 80 or 90 bucks for then standard registration. You can get a plate re finished for under 150 to 200 or do it your self for less.

YOM program cost 10 bucks addl per year. It is nearly 90 bucks to register a car for 1 year even a hobby car that may see less than 500 to 1000 miles a year.

It can save 30 bucks a year to go YOM over the legacy program which will only come up if they get enough suckers as when I read it seemed to say that it will still be reflective material and have the dumbass wwwcadmv.com on it.
Also they have to get the funds and apps from suckers before they put the mo fo convicts to work making the plates.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
Although they do not ship the plates to California, Licenseplates.tv, I think that was it, makes beautiful metal replicas of the plates.

Jimjordan2

Donation Time
yes, it was licenseplates.tv. I've used them twice with great success. They also have the original year stamped into the corner, 63? maybe that was the year. Will be getting them for my Alpine when ready.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
All Ca plates are YOM with the exception trailers. The legacy plates will be the same as personalized plates $50.00 to get one and $40.00 annually, I already pay the $40.00 extra for my plates now.
I have personalized plates now that I will be replacing with legacy plates in black with yellow, all ready sent in my $50.00. I think it would be great to have period correct personalized plates or as close as you can legally get on my car.
I think the black plates on my white car will look good. I also think the guys with 55 to 57 Chevys will be all over the yellow and black plates.
IMG_0621-M.jpg

DMV's FAQs
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/faqs.htm

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Having the correct plates for the year of the vehicle in my eye is the icing on the cake. To me it adds greatly to the over all classic or vintage look. Plates that are original to the vehicle (the plates that were actually issued to that vehicle when it was registered) would be the ultimate.

In CA those plates better still be in great shape because the CA DMV will not allow you to use them unless they are and you can't 'legally' get them restored before putting them back in service. Which seems strange since I've seen hundreds of restored vehicles with shiny new looking vintage plates on them.

I think the Legacy plates will still look great but they're just not the same as the original plates to that vehicle.

My black CA plates are original to my '67 but they're in poor shape so it's iffy if I can use them restored or not depending on the DMV clerk that day.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCOCDqajK1uulmAE&feat=directlink

whoizrob

Donation Time
Hrmmm....

I guess I'll just try to refinish them myself or farm it out. I dig that the plate is original and has the 63 stamped on the corner...

Which leads me to a weird tangent. My car is registered as a 65' SIV, but the plate has a 63 stamped on it... I am at work for a few days but need to have another look at the VIN and try to decode it's production date.

Has anyone tried to correct information on their DMV registration? Is this a nightmare? Is there another plausible story of how a 65 car got 63 plates on it?

Rob

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
1963 was the first year of the black and yellow plates and ran to 1970 when blue and yellow came out. I think all the black and yellow plates were stamped 63.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Plates, INF 70

There is a DMV form that you can get a date down for your vehicle showing the PO's or at least those who put the car in their name. I was able to track my car back to its entry into Calif. and with more detective work found the face book page of the PO.

I had black plates without the 63 stamp, up to 1970 cars.
The Legacy program is another revenue source for the gov't. At the same rate per year as a vanity plate you are money ahead to go YOM program or re hab your old plate.

Mike call AAA or DMV to see if the plates are clear first. I think your plates can be cleaned up and used if clear.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
There is a DMV form that you can get a date down for your vehicle showing the PO's or at least those who put the car in their name. I was able to track my car back to its entry into Calif. and with more detective work found the face book page of the PO.

I had black plates without the 63 stamp, up to 1970 cars.
The Legacy program is another revenue source for the gov't. At the same rate per year as a vanity plate you are money ahead to go YOM program or re hab your old plate.

Mike call AAA or DMV to see if the plates are clear first. I think your plates can be cleaned up and used if clear.

Hi Warren.

Before I went out to look at my car I zoomed in on the CraigsList pic of the plates in the trunk and called the DMV. They said the plates were free and clear (the vehicle itself hadn't been registered in so long it was no in the 'system'). So I should be good to go on using those plates for the YOM Program. Which seems weird that I should have to bother since, according to the PO, those are the plates that belong to that car. Which seems right, for the year of the car they are the correct CA black plates, correct letter sequence and have the correct blue 1967 tag still on.

I wrote down those plate numbers whenever a plate number was asked for on all the paperwork I had to fill out to get the car titled in my name. But since I had no previous Title, Registration or owner history paper trail the plates couldn't be automatically associated with that car so they assigned me a 'temporary' license plate number until the car gets registered for the road at which time they said I could use those black plates thru the YOM Program. Still seems like a money making scheme though.

Even after cleaning them up the condition of the plates worries me a bit, especially the bent up and paint chipped front one. Supposedly any sign of touch up paint or having them restored will disqualify them from being used. Then again, I've read that even if you do those things some guys have just gone to different DMV's until the the right clerk accepts them.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Rob, did you get your Black Plates?

I recently received paperwork for my Titled only, Non-Operational Alpine from CA DMV saying I could ignore it and leave it a 'Non-Op' or if I plan on driving it to submit a fee and proof of insurance and it would now be Registered. I thought in order to get it Registered it would have to be completed (not even close at this point) then trailered down to a DMV Office for a roadworthiness inspection before I could get it registered for the road? Now I can just send some stuff in the mail and I'm good to go drive it when it's completed?

I'm tempted to do just that then go back down with the Registration and my car original CA Black Plates for the YOM Program. THeir still a bit questionable though.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCOCDqajK1uulmAE&feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/105988...authkey=Gv1sRgCMXZheTwwZbW6wE&feat=directlink

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Will these plates pass CA YOM Program's 'serviceable' inspection?

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/oMqD3fsVQyD-Y11UGzoxuDjMlqTfOQ4NqnTstB6rVSQ?feat=directlink

As they were in the trunk of the car....

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/9-FCypW6ohY_pd-55GbWKZodsmRS84YPHmkCuEb8Rt8?feat=directlink

I polished and straightened them up as best I can and even found a cheap frame to match the other one. I'm finding it very confusing on what to do about getting these plates assigned to my car in regards to passing inspection. There are conflicting stories and advice on the internet. Some say you can't put a drop of paint on them or they are disqualified and confiscated :eek: Others say they have painted them up themselves and had them accepted with no questions asked. I'm sure allot of it has to do with the clerk you end up standing in front of. I've seen many old plates at car shows on vehicles that were clearly driven there that have brand new looking original plates. Clearly they've had them refinished. So were those plates cleared for use through DMV before or after refinishing and if before, what condition were they in to pass?

I have an appointment coming up at DMV to get these plates YOM'd to my Alpine but don't have allot of confidence that they'll pass and a little apprehension that if their deemed 'non-servoceable' then they'll be confiscated (they'll have to be faster than me in sprint :) )

This could be a very useful thread for those wanting to get old plates registered.

Can any of you with CA YOM experience chime in and and advise me (us).

Last edited:

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Is your car ready?

To run? If not to get the plate YOM started you will also have to provide insurance as well within 45 days.
You cannot non op a YOM vehicle but you can do a cert. of non use, but why would you pay the 90 ish bucks to plate a car that is a work in progress.
The front is a little rough but I think you are okay.

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Hi Warren, I was hoping you'd chime in. You remember that trunk? :0

It is currently 'Non-Op' and and even though the plates are clearly from that vehicle (found with the vehicle, correct yellow on black plates, letter series correct, year sticker correct) there was no legal documentation to prove it. Since it was going to be a Non-Op they couldn't do the YOM until I had it running and DMV inspected for Registration so they assigned it a 'temporary' License Plate number. I wasn't going to go through the whole registration process until it was finally up and running. But after receiving the DMV 'offer' to Register it by simply mailing in a check and proof of insurance that sounded much easier. I'd then take the Registration, YOM form and plates down to the DMV.

birdfan56

Platinum Level Sponsor
YOM's

Mike, having recently gone thru the YOM process, it is not just the clerk who verifies at the dmv...they take a scan of the plates to transmit to sacramento...It wasn't until i received confirmation from sacto that i knew for sure they were accepted, even though the dmv clerk wrote that they were in good, usable condition. Your rear plate shouldn't be an issue but the front is a bit rough...

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Harsh

You know I was a little harsh in the use of the word suckers. My point was They are unclear if the "New" black plates will be defiled with the WWW.address and just trusting the DMV by paying first seems wrong.

Lots of guys repaint their own personalized plates to black and yellow, even though it is not legal to do so.

It seems the legislators realize they made a bad move with YOM as it only gets the 10 bucks extra per year, for allowing ebay sellers or someone with a large lic.plate collection to sell them at 100-300 a set. They loose 30 bucks per year on every car that is YOM.

40 bucks for each hobby car motorcycle plus registration adds up, you cannot non op them ever but you can file a cert of non use so you can take your insurance off if you do not drive in the rainy season etc.

Mike it seems like you somehow got a pass on the CHP inspection, a major hassle as your car should not be allowed to touch the road since it went out of system. Flat bed trailering the car to CHP then hanging out waiting till they clear you then back to DMV is no fun.

In your situation I'd send the dough and then wait for them to send you the new plates with the stickers. You can put insurance on it your carrier e notifies them but you should wait till they send a cert for you to put in mail as they ask for. As soon as you get the title file a cert of non use in mail. You are effectively paying 90 bucks to avoid the CHP inspection, with luck it will work. Your car has its original rivets, as I recall something Tiger guys are quite sticky on. The really good side is CHP will not get to see what they look like as it seems 90% of Tigers have had tag removed and reattached.

As for the plate when I was working Jody the plate was not attached and I pulled it out of the dirt and laid it in the trunk find the right color yellow and touch up the plate letter. I have been looking and cannot find a correct color rattle can. A former insurance client of mine has a paint shop and makes custom color rattle cans, its like 27 bucks and I would share the can.
Gotta go hope to see you in Irvine 8/3 Cars and Coffee

Last edited:

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Yup, I've read that you should bring in photo copy's of the plates or they will scan them to be sent to Sacto. I've also read they unless the clerk says they're ok you won't even get to the part of sending anything to the Mother of all DMV's.

I'd like to avoid the Legacy plates not just for cost but more for looks and nostalgia. I think their gonna look ok from a distance but a little cheap and fake up close, hope I'm wrong. Also, there's just something cool about having the original plates still on the car.

I've heard of guys painting their plates or having them restored but is that 'after' being accepted at DMV? If not, how are they getting around the no tampering with the plates rules?

I'll take the free pass. I got it insured so I can send in the paperwork to get it Registered. The CHP Inspection is good for keeping unsafe vehicles off the road I suppose but it sounds like a pain in butt as compared to simply mailing some stuff in. I'll wait till I get the plates and tags before going in.

'As soon as you get the title file a cert of non use in the mail' Warren, I already have a Title, are talking about a different title that they will send you after it gets Registered?

I notice the Title I have currently shows an expiration date of 08/10/12 and an issue date of 08/24/12. Maybe that has to due with it being a non-registered vehicle but then again, I don't recall ever hearing about an 'expired' Title, just tags and registrations.

Thanks for the paint offer, I appreciate that. I've read that the non-reflective Caterpillar Inc. Yellow is as close you can get to the original yellow. Because of sun fade the yellow on my front plate is different from the nicer rear one. If I feel I can get away with touching it up before submitting it I'll have to experiment with mixing a few colors beforehand.

Cars & Coffee 8/3 sounds great. It'll be nice to meet you my friend.

Oh, could you bring along the hardtop you took off my car? :D

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
Plates etc.

The certificate of non use is so when you turn off or cancel your insurance on your non running hobby car they will not cancel the registration.

Not a lot advantage in carrying liability insurance on a car that does not run.

Jody had no pink slip or old registration connecting the car to the plates right? If he did you should be able to re use them UNLESS the plate number is being used already, that is the best option.

Our friends at CHP do not do any safety check just a vin number check and since pre 68 cars did not have motor numbers recorded and there are no hidden vins it is a quickie for them.

Looked all over for the Yellow paint you speak of if you see on at your local hardware store grab one for me. Been to OSH, Ace, Home Depot, Lowe's, and the local mom and pop with no luck. Also there is a John Deere Tractor color and a school bus that may work.

They do photo copy the plates to send your "Suspense" application to Sacramento. Making your own will insure that that do not do a color copy and put that fly in your ointment. From what the grapevine says they use a magnet to see that they are ferrous and not a repop in aluminium.

They are not getting around the no tampering rule, as you never know if you get pulled over, its up to the cop his attitude and yours....

My plates are missing a pretty fair amount of paint and they passed. They were on a parts car I own and have a dealer in Oceanside and were original to a 66 SIV.

That hardtop was more rusty than it showed on the car and is still a W.I.P.

It was hard not to pick the clock off that car, lucky for you the Tiger one is different....

But at the end of the day some of us do not rape and pillage old guys like your cars PO Now if he had a daughter...

The recycled plate is on my car now a Blue non factory color 66.

See you in Irvine..

Attachments

• DSCN6225.jpg
    DSCN6225.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Mike Armstrong

Bronze Level Sponsor
Ok, understand now about the cert of non use, will do, makes sense.

Jodi had nothing, no paperwork, not even a name or address of where he found who gave it to him. I had start my own horrendous paper trail which had to included signed statement from Jodi and myself but in the end a Title was in my name.

According to the DMV the plate letter/number is out of the system and so not in use. Makes me wonder now if I had not made it a Non-Op if I could have used those plates since they did belong the car.

It's been suggested to bring your own photo copies in, black and white might make it less obvious theres that much yellow paint missing from that letter. Speaking of which, Caterpillar Inc yellow and School Bus yellow are the two I see most often mentioned but I've I haven't looked for them yet. Centerline yellow from Cal Trans has been suggested but it's reflective so no go. Problems start when you use a correct original color to 'touch up' paint that is now over 40yrs old, it's probably going to be obvious. I can see getting them restored 'after' passing DMV but not 'before' unless I knew for sure they would accept that being done. I think I'll give a shot at bringing them in as is and hoping for the best.

Ya, thanks for not pillaging it before I got there :) Jodi is too nice a guy to try to convince doing that anyway.

Nice pic!