• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Alpine V8 conversion

Asm109

Donation Time
Volvoguys offered you a Tiger Dana 44 rear end. That will bolt in and be plenty strong.
other choices.
Ford 8 inch Must narrow housing and get axles made to match.
72-75 Jeep CJ axle. Also a Dana 44 with almost the same wheel mounting surface to surface as the Tiger and Alpine axles.
Will require welding on alpine spring and shock mounts.
Will require turning down the axle end and redrilling for 4 x 4.25.

Postal jeep rear axle. almost same as 72-75 cj

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
There is another chapter in my "Tiger" steering adventure that I forgot to mention. Front brakes.

Way back when in the early stages of building my Alpine, I decided to install the GM "Metric" front brakes. A long story, but not told here. The important part is the brake caliper swap ended with when using front steering, the steering arm mounts about 1/2" farther away from the rack. I am not smart enough to tell you how much that changes the Ackerman, but I think it is an important ingredient in the finished steering geometry.

Bill
EDIT I need to further describe my steering arm setup. When installed for front steering, the steering arm rear bolt hole sets in the normal position. The front bolt hole sets away from the rack, so the installed steering arm has a few more degrees Ackerman.

Last edited:

El caballo

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey Guys, Thanks for the input.... I completely understand the issues, problems, and benefits.... I would love to go with a V6 or even a KD series Nissan, as lots of my friends run those, but the whole reason for the season is that I have the 260/T10 and it's all new.... Fabrication is not a problem, and again, I'm not looking for a pavement burner. I'm not made of money, but I am 80 and comfortable, so buying a crossmember, or experimenting with a rear sump pan is okay... Even the firewall situation is a simple task. I currently have a Model A coupe with a 260 and love it. Like my older brother would say, it may not be fast, but it sure is loud......
I'll keep the forum posted, and any info on swap parts suppliers would be greatly appreciated.....

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Also could use a 68-80 MGB rear axle, 3.91 ratio would require T5 five speed. You can get aftermarket 3.07 and 3.31. Two posi available Torsen type Quaife or Blackline clutch type.

Last edited:

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mine currently does not have the engine installed. It does have a dana 44 from a postal jeep for the rear end. I converted it to disc brakes.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I have a set of these that were used on my 260 V8 in a Willy's Wagon I plan to use. Speedway Motoprs carry them.

Hoghead

Silver Level Sponsor
Ironically, I have those same headers on my Model A. Cheap, and work fine. After I bought the 260/T10 combo, I looked for a while for a recipient, and checked out several, including the P1800 Volvo, the Fairlady, and of course the MGB. But, the Alpine seemed right because of size and of course they were already done. I'm too old to try and fool anyone about authenticity, I just want the fun, and sound. How do you like your "Alger" ?? and what rear do you use ??
Do these headers clear a stock Tiger motor mount?

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
We have been debating putting a dry sump in our Elva race car for ground clearance. Is this a possibility in helping the V8 fit with the front steering and crossmember?

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
We have been debating putting a dry sump in our Elva race car for ground clearance. Is this a possibility in helping the V8 fit with the front steering and crossmember?

Don't see how. The Tiger steering rack location is dictated by the shape of the modified Alpine front suspension crossmember, not by the SBF V8 oiling system. Changing from a front (or rear) sump to a dry sump system would be good for several reasons, but it would not affect the steering rack location issue.

Last edited:

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
Ah. Ok. I recall now someone actually cut a hole through the crossmember, welded in new metal, and mounted the steering rack through it. I have no recollection if it was a successful idea.

Asm109

Donation Time
I never looked to see if you can use Alpine rear steer arms and mount a rack in line with them. I imagine the Sump is too deep for that to work.
If it was that easy, somebody would have done it by now.

Asm109

Donation Time
I understand the Alpine system. I understand the Tiger system.

I am musing about a hybrid. Junk the Alpine box, cross over tube and the passenger side rocker.
Keep the alpine rear steering arms mounted to the knuckle.
Mount "somehow" a steering rack underneath the V8 at the fore and aft location of the end of the alpine steering arms.
Connect rack to steering arms with 2 tie rods.
Might be possible with a rear sump oil pan from a Van.
Most likely not because I can't be the first to think this.

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
There was a guy a few years back that did that with a rear steer Dodge Omni rack using a separate crossmember for the rack. I helped with some info that a MGB did. He used the double sump pan. Here are the threads:

Last edited:

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
I never looked to see if you can use Alpine rear steer arms and mount a rack in line with them. I imagine the Sump is too deep for that to work.
If it was that easy, somebody would have done it by now.

I did a mock-up several years ago and no, it was not easy. Even with a shallow front / rear sump oil pan, the steering rack wound up being about 6 inches too low to work with the factory Alpine rear steer arms which are located high on the spindles. I think it could be done with custom designed / fabricated low-mount rear steer arms, but I never found an acceptable way to mount a steering rack in that location.