• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

V8 Alpine project update

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted anything on here. Just been popping in from time to time to see what's new and that's about it. I've been spending the last two years I've owned my Alpine gathering all the parts needed to finish my V8 swap. So this is where I'm at as of this year...

Last year I was able to get my 302 Ford from a 1987 Lincoln LSC that was in the local wrecking yard. It has fully forged internals and is a full roller motor like the fox body Mustangs have. I then got my aluminum heads, hardened push rods, aluminum intake, cam, holley 750 double pumper, and just a ton of other bolt on goodies.

At the beginning of the summer this year I located a 1975 Postal Jeep on Craigslist for $100. I pulled the needed Dana 44 rear axle out of it and sold the remainder of the Jeep to a guy who needed the parts, for $150. Not bad, haha.

Last month after a lot of searching, I replied back to a Craigslist ad about Toploader transmissions and the guy turned out to be a good friend of one of my friends and just so happened to have a Tiger Toploader. He also owns his own transmission and differential repair shop, so he totally rebuilt the whole thing with the best stuff he could get for it and sold it to me for more than I planned on paying for a tranny, but way too good of a deal to pass up. Very happy with it and he warranties it.

I called my good friend up yesterday who said he would help me tackle my steering setup and we will be starting that pretty soon.

The transmission was the biggest piece of the puzzle I needed though and I didn't want to really start the build until I had all the major parts ready to go. For those who might not remember, my car is pretty much 100% complete which really helps, and already has a 302 and a T5 mounted in the car. It's just not anything that would be road worthy, mainly just a mock up motor and tranny.

I may have a pretty good chance at being able to drive it next summer? Hoping for the best!

-Kyle

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Hey guys, been a while since I've posted anything on here. Just been popping in from time to time to see what's new and that's about it. I've been spending the last two years I've owned my Alpine gathering all the parts needed to finish my V8 swap. So this is where I'm at as of this year...

Last year I was able to get my 302 Ford from a 1987 Lincoln LSC that was in the local wrecking yard. It has fully forged internals and is a full roller motor like the fox body Mustangs have. I then got my aluminum heads, hardened push rods, aluminum intake, cam, holley 750 double pumper, and just a ton of other bolt on goodies.

At the beginning of the summer this year I located a 1975 Postal Jeep on Craigslist for $100. I pulled the needed Dana 44 rear axle out of it and sold the remainder of the Jeep to a guy who needed the parts, for $150. Not bad, haha.

Last month after a lot of searching, I replied back to a Craigslist ad about Toploader transmissions and the guy turned out to be a good friend of one of my friends and just so happened to have a Tiger Toploader. He also owns his own transmission and differential repair shop, so he totally rebuilt the whole thing with the best stuff he could get for it and sold it to me for more than I planned on paying for a tranny, but way too good of a deal to pass up. Very happy with it and he warranties it.

I called my good friend up yesterday who said he would help me tackle my steering setup and we will be starting that pretty soon.

The transmission was the biggest piece of the puzzle I needed though and I didn't want to really start the build until I had all the major parts ready to go. For those who might not remember, my car is pretty much 100% complete which really helps, and already has a 302 and a T5 mounted in the car. It's just not anything that would be road worthy, mainly just a mock up motor and tranny.

I may have a pretty good chance at being able to drive it next summer? Hoping for the best!

-Kyle

Why would you not keep,the T5 tranny. My cars are loafing along at 60 mph while in5th gear

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
T5

My T5 is from a 4 cylindar Mustang. Not only does it locate my shifter too far back to keep my center consol, I've been told it won't hold the power I'm going to be putting to it if I launch it at the drag strip. Later down the road after I drive it a bit and work some bugs out, I plan on adding a pro charger somehow so I wanted to have a stronger tranny. I also want that old school muscle car feel from having the Toploader because all my other cars have been more modern with overdrives and stuff. I know a 5 speed would be more practical especially since I'll have it on the highway a decent amount, but it's just not what I'm going with, with this car.

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
A rear axle from a Postal Jeep probably has a 3.73:1 gear set which will mean about 3,800 RPM at 70 MPH in 4th gear. Bet that will be fun on the highway.

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Axle

Would definitely keep me in a power band, haha. The highways I'd be on are 60 mph, but not like that will make much of a difference anyways. Like 3-400 rpm maybe? It's totally meant to be my fun car. I have fun in my other cars too, but I'm looking forward to having something different than my Corvette and ect. I can always change the rear gears a bit later on if I really need to. I almost considered 4.11's but I'll probably stay around the 3.73 range. Either way I'm just looking forward to getting it on the road :D

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Kyle, Good to hear from you again. The Tiger used the 4 speed with 2.88 rear. First gear is way too tall. There are a lot of Mustang T5's available. You could simply use the S10 tailshaft housing to move the shifter forward. 750DP is a bit much for the 302. Look at Summit's 600 cfm. Are you still planning to use the Omni rear steer rack?

Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Yeah, I know about the S10 tail shaft. I even talked to Paul at Modern Driveline about setting me up with what I needed, but again I just wanted to try something different with the Alpine. Not concerned at all about fuel economy because although I will be on the highway a decent amount it will only be short periods of time. I still plan on using the Omni rack. I've got a friend with a CNC machine and another friend who's a good welder/fabricator so I hope between the 3 of us we can make it work. It isn't bad how it is right now, but it will need to be improved a bit for me to trust it holding up. I'll post pictures of that setup as it progresses. I was also looking for a Tiger column to buy if the price was reasonable just to have in case the Omni setup doesn't pan out, then I'd go with the MG rack like others have done.

-Kyle

miket

Donation Time
Kyle,

FWIW, I converted my Sunbeam column by using parts from an MGB column. They mated perfectly so that it's all sunbeam from inside the car.

The R&P is another story.

Mike

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Alpine

We built one of these years ago, used a 302/306 we used a 5 speed, cut the hoop for the tail shaft and boxed the area in I, used an ididt column,
a Ford 8.8 axle from a Mountaineer(3.73 lsd 11" discs) shortened to a 51"
track width with Moser axles all in all it worked out well we did much more to the suspension etc. got the weight down under 2200, the cars now resting comfortably in Germany!

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
The Lister clone is running. Modified 351W. T5 tranny. 8 inch rear end.
Mustang II R and P with the Mutt II suspension on a modified crossmember
The 62 has. Ford racing 302 with a T5 tranny. 8 inch rear end. Mustang II spindles and Mustang Rack and pinion
Both cars have Mustang II steering columns
And I dont speed anymore as its too,darn expensive if pulled over

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Mike, that is a good idea. I'm going to look into that. And I was originally going to go with an 8.8 axle, but I was having a hard time finding shops in my area to modify it for me and I was being too cheap at the time to buy the correct axles for it. The Dana should be good to go though and has the posi in it. I'll convert it to disk brakes when I tear it down for rebuilding. Germany would be fun to cruise around in a Sunbeam! That lister clone is a great looking car. I've considered the MII front end/steering and stuff, but if I can make what I have work it will be a lot less modifying to do. But like a lot of builds, plans change once you dig into things and figure out what you can and can't do.

-Kyle

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Kyle, Here are some good pics of the MGB/Omni rear steer setup. It may be a good idea to use a MGB column. The Cobra guys do and usually use a early VW Beetle turn signal setup.

Attachments

• steering-x-member-1.jpg
    steering-x-member-1.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 56
  • Omni-steering-rack.jpg
    Omni-steering-rack.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 55
  • steering-shaft.jpg
    steering-shaft.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

1fineAlpine

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for the pics Jim! I've got a (I call it a girdle) setup somewhat like that currently, but that one looks a lot more secure. I think I know where to get some MG stuff around here and I know plenty of people with VW parts. I'll look into this a bit more. It's nice to see a similar setup though. I didn't know if it had been done before or not.

-Kyle