• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith Carbs Wanted

lord_rootes

Donation Time
I wonder where Victoria British got their info? Sounds kind of weird to have two different types of carbs (although they are very similar) on one manifold but then again there is that set I spoke of in my friends parts bin. :)
Also I had someone send me info from Zenith itself saying that WIAs were used on Series II cars although everything else I have seen has said only WIP were used. I guess we'll never know for sure but there are quite a few Alpine II owners who have the WIAs.
Thanks,
Alan

According to the Work Shop Manual page 15, the following carbs and air cleaners were provided for Alpines.

S-I Gauze type air cleaner with 36WIP2
S-II Gauze type air cleaner with 36WIP2 or 36WIP3
S-II Dry Type air cleaner with 36WIP2 or 36WIP3
S-III Standard Gauze type air cleaner with 36WIP3
S-III GT Dry Type air cleaner with 36WIA3

Rapier III-IIIA 36WIA2 or 36WIA3

So this information indicates that only the Alpine III GT had WIA3 carburetors and with a Dry Type Air Cleaner.

Over the years carburetors and air cleaners could have been switched, but this is the current information from Rootes.

The difference is the bypass valve and jet assembly shown on page 31 for WIA carburetors only.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
If this info is any help, the parts manual (p. CA1 2nd issue 1968) lists the following:

36 WIP 3 for S3
and
36 WIA 3 for G.T.

lord_rootes

Donation Time
Thanks to everyone who's posted helpful info on my enquiries re: the WIP/WIA carbs. I was probably a little premature in wanting to buy another set when I haven't really had a good go at determining what's ailing these ones. I get the feeling they may be flooding as someone suggested. I'm hoping to get to them next week time permitting but knowing how long it takes me to get things done it might be quite awhile before I have any answers.
Anyhow another possibility a friend had suggested was installing a Weber carb. I saw these conversion sets on Ebay (no. 250325300455).
Any thoughts on these? Are they a good option? I am a bit of an originality freak but I also kind of like the idea of a brand new carb and only having one adjustment to do. If I can't get the WIAs running this might be another option I thought.
Thanks,
Alan