• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Zenith carb

nickv

Donation Time
I am in need of a 36 WIP2 carb. The front one if it makes a difference (I am new to these cars). The pump spindle moves back and forth easily and it does not squirt fuel now. When I turn the motor on it goes right to 5500 rpm and won't kick down. Perhaps something internal in the front carb is bad/broke? I am open to any help on this if it is repairable.
Thanks

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I am in need of a 36 WIP2 carb. The front one if it makes a difference (I am new to these cars). The pump spindle moves back and forth easily and it does not squirt fuel now. When I turn the motor on it goes right to 5500 rpm and won't kick down. Perhaps something internal in the front carb is bad/broke? I am open to any help on this if it is repairable.
Thanks

Your accelerator pump piston stuck in the downward position and can likely be fixed rather easily.

You will need to pull the top off the carb, squirt some good carb cleaner down there and carefully try to raise the piston. Rotating it a bit may also be helpful.

There is a spring that makes it want to return, so it may be broken or the piston itself is stuck.

I have had this problem several times with zeniths.

Problem usually is corrosion holding it down, or varnish.

Andrew

SAOCA Web/Graphics Service
Donation Time
Photos

If you need some information and possible photos please feel free to ask. I need to do the same with one of my carbs so I can provide a little detail if you are worried about doing the work. It is an easy fix.

Best regards,
Andrew