• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wright Brothers

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
My great-grandfather (Morris J. Stone) was a carpenter who became enamored of the early airplane industry and switched to making wooden propellers. (As a side note, he also patented the hollow steel propeller.) According to my great-Uncles, the Wright brothers used to tour the country with early barnstorming air shows and were frequent guests in their home.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
Amazing footage.I believe I saw part of this in a documentary.
Here in Canada its the 100th annivesary of the Silver Dart which was Canada's first plane.They have built a replica and flown it according to the national news

skywords

Donation Time
My great-grandfather (Morris J. Stone) was a carpenter who became enamored of the early airplane industry and switched to making wooden propellers. (As a side note, he also patented the hollow steel propeller.) According to my great-Uncles, the Wright brothers used to tour the country with early barnstorming air shows and were frequent guests in their home.

"Wow" Jim your great grandfather must have done well with that patent. Most of the Lockheed Constellations used Curtis Electric props with hollow steel blades. In fact the Eisenhower Connie I am working on has these props.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
"Wow" Jim your great grandfather must have done well with that patent.
I never knew him and he and my grandfather hardly spoke, but I don't think he was much of a business man. He went broke after both World Wars, thanks to a "grateful" government that canceled their orders leaving him stuck with stock and production capacity. His companies went under multiple names (most of which were variations on the original name: Stone Supreme Propellers) and moved multiple time, with production in St. Louis, Wichita, Grand Rapids, and our beloved Dayton Ohio, among others. Although I grew up having been told that my great-grandfather "invented" the metal airplane propeller, I only recently learned of the patent, when I came across a reference to him having sold it.