• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Would This Fit In An Alpine?

George Coleman

Gold Level Sponsor
I have wondered about a straight six in an Alpine, I measured one time and it looked like a six out of a Triumph GT6 would work!:cool:

Last edited:

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
I had a GT6 recently and have three thoughts about the motor:
1) It is seriously heavy.
2) You can uproot a small tree with the torque
3) The sound of that motor at 6500 to 8000 RPM will make you walk away from a Ferrari. Beyond cool!!

Might look into that conversion! Good idea.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
The dude at my local Craftsman counter said he used to drop Nissan 260/280/300 Z straight sixes into Alpines. I always assumed he mistook Sunbeam for anything else Britishy. But another little part of me thought he was onto something.

I still think the VW VR6 has to be a viable option (the one that's been on ebay looks like it screams).

But as for the one Bill linked, that looks quite viable. The $6000 price tag for its matching head, however.... If I recall, there's a newly rebuilt AH 3000 or 100-6 head on ebay for a price with one fewer zero.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
I still think the VW VR6 has to be a viable option (the one that's been on ebay looks like it screams).

Agreed, the VR6 is very short and a great motor.
The only trouble is that there are no VW RWD transmission options that are not quattro.

I think there are custom bellhousings that can do the job but you are looking at some real $$$ to use that motor in a non VAG application.

What a shame.

Greggers

SAOCA Vice President
Platinum Level Sponsor
Agreed, the VR6 is very short and a great motor.
The only trouble is that there are no VW RWD transmission options that are not quattro.

I was kicking around online this weekend and, though I might not have all the details correct, I found a company that makes adapter plates to mount VW engines* to Geo Trackers/Suzuki Samurai transmissions. Lower on the page, there was another fairly cheap adapter plate to put a VW-mated Toyota T50 in the Tracker. It's my understanding that the Toyota T50 is a no-cutting (though hens'-teeth-rare) option for fitting in an Alpine. Add in a couple of engine mounts and a custom exhaust (and about 1000 other bits), and Bob is your proverbial uncle.

* I did a little further research and discovered that the company I was referencing, acmeadapters.com, doesn't officially have an option that works for the VR6.

Last edited:

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I was kicking around online this weekend and, though I might not have all the details correct, I found a company that makes adapter plates to mount VW engines to Geo Trackers/Suzuki Samurai transmissions. Lower on the page, there was another fairly cheap adapter plate to put a VW-mated Toyota T50 in the Tracker. It's my understanding that the Toyota T50 is a no-cutting (though hens'-teeth-rare) option for fitting in an Alpine. Add in a couple of engine mounts and a custom exhaust (and about 1000 other bits), and Bob is your proverbial uncle.

Yes, whatever you do, don't forget the 1000 other bits. The difference between a project and a car is the 1000 bits. Guys advertise they have installed an engine and tranny and that "all the hard work is done". The hard work has just begun. That's why they are selling.

Bill

alpine_64

Donation Time
Bill,

you would have to be crazy to put that in an alpine (apart from cost!) There was an SI Alpine down under with a holden straight six.. motor required firewall mods and it still extended quite a way forward.. weight distribution was all messed up.

On the VW motor.. there was an alpine built with a VR6 VW motor last year... there are videos of it on Youtube.. and IIRC. they sold it on ebay last month.

Cant imagine why anyone would go straight six other than being different.. much better to go down alternative 4cyl or V6 path...

that said.. if you REALLY wanted a straight 6.... surely the wide variety of BMW motors are worth looking at.... before you get to the modern BMW 6cyl turbo ones...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Michael, just kidding. I would not even measure that monster to see how much firewall had to be removed. I love straight sixes, but would have to look for a different car if ever I felt crazy enough to swap one.

BTW, I've finally got the Duratec swap to the point I absolutely love it. Goes like a streak of you know what, shifts great, terrific brakes, gets fuel mileage in the mid 30's and is very mannerly on the road. AC and heater are very effective when the hardtop is on. It is a tad heavy on the vibes at times, but hey, this is a sports car, you know. Probably no more vibes than a 1725.

Only took what, 5 years and a thousand bits?

Bill

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

Who knows.. i thought you might have done a straight 6 conversion just to wind Jose :p

That would be one of the few things that could energize me to do that. I could fill it with 40 weight oil, fuel it with E85 and bring Nick into the fray. Maybe put an old Al Gore sticker on it, but that would be over the top.

Bill