• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wooden Dash in Alpine

W

WaltSV

Was a walnut dash optional in Alpines (SV) or are the ones I've seen just conversions?

How does one attach heater and vent controls when converting from the plastic dash, and are there other pitfalls or challenges to be aware of?

Thanks,
Walt

RootesRooter

Donation Time
I believe you'll have to find a set of Tiger or Alpine GT heater & vent controls, as they are attached differently to the wood dash.

napa 1

Donation Time
Not sure if this would be similar for the later series, but when I ordered a walnut dash for my series one, it came with little metal brakets that attach to the back of the wood dash and allow proper mounting of heater controls.

mikephillips

Donation Time
The heater control lever assemblies are the same for either type dash. On the wood ones they mount to the studs from the finisher plate with 3 small metal brackets. You can bend them up yourself from a bit of 20 or 18 ga sheet. Just hold the pieces in the proper location and the shape will be obvious.

mikephillips

Donation Time
One other thing in converting to a wooden dash, the ignition switch would have a square plate on it that fit into a routed out area in the back. This keeps the twisting of the key from causing the switch to turn and gradually round out the hole.

jmthehermit

Donation Time
mackem, here is a shot of the whole OEM assembly. I've included a set of Series 3 heat and vent controls too, with the threaded ends that used the screw on chrome knobs. The controls are identical dimensionally with exception to the knobs used. Also included is the locking plate for the ignition switch. The flat side corresponds to the flat on the threaded portion of the switch and installed into a routered square area on the back side of the wooden dash to prevent the switch from rotating. On the stock bakelite Alpine dash, the flat was designed into the mold. I gave the dimensions to dmich2 on this forum for the three brackets when he converted to a wooden dash. I wonder if he still has them? Dennis, you out there? Anyway enjoy the pic. Jeff

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
Brackets

Here's a somewhat better pic of the brackets. I'm in the process of making them out of some angle aluminum I got at Lowe's. A bit of a pain in the ass, but doable with a hack saw and a grinder. Thanks to Rick McLeod at Sunbeam Specialties for providing it.

www.jkeckert.com/images/brackets.jpg

claf

Donation Time
I took a different approach. I did not have the bezel for the front of the dash. I made a couple brackets which were screwed into the back of the wooden dash. It may be possible to use the bezel from the Alpine to make the front of the dash look right with the controls mounted to brackets as I did, screwed into the back face of the dash. Bob

mattinoz

Donation Time
The later SV GT dash is the same plastic dash that the ST's have with the walnut veneer fix to it. If you have your original plastic dash just used that. No need to manufacture anything. I have restored a couple of GT dashes and with excellent prep and modern adhesives anything is possible.