• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wood Steering Wheel

M430

Silver Level Sponsor
Thinking about changing my steering wheel to a Moto Lita, comes in at least two sized, 14" and 15". For those of you that have made the conversion what size did you prefer.

SoCal'beaming

Donation Time
I have a 14" on mine and it works well and gives ya' a half inch more space for da' legs:D

..... David

Attachments

• DSCN1338.jpg
    DSCN1338.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 27

Gary T

Gold Level Sponsor
I have a Series II with original 15" steering wheel. I bought a 15" MotaLita wood wheel and I believe it will fit okay.

alpine_64

Donation Time
What series alpine is it going in and how tall are you? I find 14" good and have the boss extended out from the dash to get knee room so i can operate the brake better. Does move the wheel closer to your chest though and a bit more vintage driving position for your arms.. But much better leg and foot movement

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Keep in mind that the smaller the wheel, the greater the effort to turn it. I doubt a 14" wheel will be much different from stock, but I have not driven one. However, I have driven an Alpine with a 12" wheel and it does make quite a bit of difference, at least when the car is at rest or only moving slowly.

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
I run a 14 on my series II, and love it.
IMG_3221-L.jpg

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
14" - for reasons stated above - I didn't notice any difference in steering effort. If I knew how much more space it would create, I would have done it 20 years earlier!

For what its worth, I measured the stock wheel as 14 1/2" (centerline of rim to centerline) - I was under the impression that that was correct way (???)

Another consideration - you often lose the ability to telescope the steering column when you install an adaptor. Unless your car has multiple drivers of different statures, this is probably not an issue

TR