• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire wheels

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
My wires were on their way out, bent spokes, some ovaling of the rims, so I ordered a set from Motorsport Wheels in the UK. I had heard that MGB 14 inch wires would work but the person I spoke to at Motorsport said they do not recommend mixing up brands and couldn't or wouldn't tell me that the hubs and spines were the same, so I ordered the 13"Alpine wheels. I just read an article that said a guy who vintage races Alpines in the UK uses MGB 14" wire wheels with no problem. Does anyone have an idea about whether or not MGB wheels can be used without fitment problems?

pcmenten

Donation Time
It's my understanding that, yes, MGB/MGC wires, both 14" and 15", will fit the front only, as will other makes (Healey, Jaguar?). Personally, I wouldn't want to use 13" wheels on a Sunbeam because they look so small and out of proportion.

Whoops! The back brake drums won't fit up to MGB wire wheel hubs because of a raised surface. You would have to lace some Sunbeam hubs into 14" rims to fix that little issue. Or swap out rear axles with a MGB wire wheel axle.

Last edited:

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Well, lacing spokes isn't a problem, I've done it for years on motorcycle wheels. The only problem is that there are so many spokes and they're really expensive to buy. I think I once calculated over $600.00 bucks to lace 4 wheels.

alpine_64

Donation Time
The hub on an alpine has a raised ridge that the mg hubs don't. As I recall on early series their might be a clearance issue with front callipers too. I test fitted 14" wires on my sii back in 1997 and remember a clearance issue.

You could spoke a set out as mentioned, that would be best.. remember the mgb and sprite/midget run a different offset rim with more rim to the outside.. sportier looking but will make wheels sit out at the front.

Also if your wheels were so shot I hope you are cgeckung and if needed replacing the splined hubs as they are likely worn and will destroy your new wheels in short order.

Chuck Ingram

Donation Time
I have adapter hubs for the MG wire wheels
They bolt on to,the sunbeam hub
Had them since the first Alpine we did. They do have spinners
Anyone interested can have them. Shipping and 10 bucks for beer
Also have the MG wires

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thor, A suggest, get in touch with 65sunbeam (Eric G), He knows a fellow Beamer that has the MG wires on an Alpine.

He had his Red Alpine at the Columbia meet last year. Looked really nice.

I'd strongly recommend you go with at least 14" wheels because of the growing difficulty in getting the 13".....

DanR

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
I have adapter hubs for the MG wire wheels
They bolt on to,the sunbeam hub
Had them since the first Alpine we did. They do have spinners
Anyone interested can have them. Shipping and 10 bucks for beer
Also have the MG wires

Chuck, you got a deal. Shipping and 20 bucks for beer. I'll pm you to nail down the details.

Thor 1211

Silver Level Sponsor
Splines are nice and deep and measuring everything I don't envisage a problem with 14 in. Also, I'm not adverse to doing a little modification on the valence or inner wells to get what clearance I may need.
(and I will get in touch with Eric).

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
he MGB rear axle set up will easily bolt into the Sunbeam; the ratio is 3.90 and seems to be a little more heavy duty and a tiny bit wider. Been so long I don't remember the number. You will have to modify the drive shaft as it will need to be shorter and will need a bracket welded on to mount the Armstrong shocks to the axle housing.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
STOP! No they do not fit. The length of the Sunbeam hub is shorter than the MGB hub. Yes, they can go on, and you can start a few threads on the spinner. But you're not going to have many threads actually holding on the wheel. Also the plane of the lip on the Sunbeam hub is different than the MGB hub. So they will not rest properly.

There are people on here over the years who have said they have done it without a failure YET. I guess it depends on the risk you want to take.