• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wire wheel hub removal

studmobile

Diamond Level Sponsor
Finally decided to replace the rear hubs on my Harrington LeMans. Then of course could not find any for sale. MWS had none available in their catalog, but an email directly showed they had a few of the Series 1-4 rear hubs (but they are out of the front hubs for now) Once the present supply is out, there will be a price increase for their next order. Price was 136 British pounds, about $165. Decided to order their hub removal tool, for 87.60 pounds. Arrived one week later.
Today used the tool to remove the hubs. Removed the axle nut, reversed it, lubricated all threads, inserted a sacrificial washer, and used an impact wrench to quickly remove the hub, 15 minutes tops. Of that, only about 10 seconds with the impact wrench. Reversed the removal tool and did the other side, same result. (Cannot figure out how to post photo or video.)
Very pleased. Glad to share the tool.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Finally decided to replace the rear hubs on my Harrington LeMans. Then of course could not find any for sale. MWS had none available in their catalog, but an email directly showed they had a few of the Series 1-4 rear hubs (but they are out of the front hubs for now) Once the present supply is out, there will be a price increase for their next order. Price was 136 British pounds, about $165. Decided to order their hub removal tool, for 87.60 pounds. Arrived one week later.
Today used the tool to remove the hubs. Removed the axle nut, reversed it, lubricated all threads, inserted a sacrificial washer, and used an impact wrench to quickly remove the hub, 15 minutes tops. Of that, only about 10 seconds with the impact wrench. Reversed the removal tool and did the other side, same result. (Cannot figure out how to post photo or video.)
Very pleased. Glad to share the tool.
E-mail me the PICs and I can upload the pictures on the Forum for you

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
Interesting, but the center screw looks rather flimsy. Wonder whether this puller works for really stubborn rear wire wheel hubs. I prefer to use the "real McCoys" in combination with a truck wrench. The trick however is to use the counter bar as proposed in the WSM. Will break every hub loose without brute force:

IMG_20201231_172243.jpgIMG_20201231_172347.jpg

Last edited:

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
That's the original Rootes dealer puller plus the matching counter locking plate (Check the WSM). Massive and undestroyable, but extremely rare...

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Interesting, but the center screw looks rather flimsy. Wonder whether this puller works for really stubborn rear wire wheel hubs. I prefer to use the "real McCoys" in combination with a truck wrench. The trick however is to use the counter bar as proposed in the WSM. Will break every hub loose without brute force:

View attachment 28303View attachment 28304
Outstanding original Churchill tool made specifically for Rootes! I once had this (all 3 parts) until I loaned it away and it was lost by UPS on the way back. I now use a Proto puller, but prefer the "Real McCoy".

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
True . What a bad luck that your set got lost ! Always thought UPS is safe, but appearantly not. The UK Club had a set too, but it also got lost when loaning to a member. That's the very reason I never borrow out any Tools, but invite club mates to my place to do the Jobs jointly and under my strict control. Have a couple more original tools and my dream is to have a complete tool wall like a Rootes Dealer had back in the day ;)

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
A fellow member "studmobile" just purchased a wire hub pulley that he is bragging about, sure sounds interesting.''I'm looking forward to seeing his,''

DanR

Last edited: