• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wipers, round 2

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Round 1 ended when I decided the problem was not my wiring. Finally got the winter mechanical "to do" list somewhat under control and turned to the wipers. This is what has happened:

On the bench, the wipers would run when using the ground wire. Running with one wire would give high speed, running with two would give a slower speed. Grounding the case would give lots of sparks and the motor would quit. Decided I had a short.

Split the motor, found the main wire was jammed into a tight spot and could be causing a short. Pried it out, relocated it and reassembled. Now it runs a little faster than it did on the main wire. Running with current to both wires speeds it up considerably, is pretty noisy and produces some interesting odors. Running with two wires to ground slows it down. Grounding the case now works as it should.

So will anyone tell me what is going on? Is it supposed to run faster with current to two wires? I seem to remember Jim E. saying that both wires slow it down. Is it supposed to run with two grounds when on low speed? Oh yes, this is a 6WA motor.

Slightly confused,
Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

I don't understand your description of what is connected to what when what happens. See the drawing on this page of the manual:

http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/wsm_n/n_49.htm

If you connect the POS V from a battery to the "Supply" wire ( I think it's a Green wire - G) and the NEG V from the battery to the Field resistor wire (I think it's PLG or Purple Light Green) it will run slow. And if you move or also connect the Neg V to the Field Winding lead ( I think it's NLG or browN Light Green) it will run faster, as there is more current running through the field with the resistor bypassed.

Tom H

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

I don't understand your description of what is connected to what when what happens. See the drawing on this page of the manual:

http://www.rootes1725cc.info/wsm145/wsm_n/n_49.htm

If you connect the POS V from a battery to the "Supply" wire ( I think it's a Green wire - G) and the NEG V from the battery to the Field resistor wire (I think it's PLG or Purple Light Green) it will run slow. And if you move or also connect the Neg V to the Field Winding lead ( I think it's NLG or browN Light Green) it will run faster, as there is more current running through the field with the resistor bypassed.

Tom H

Tom, my wires are:
red/w green tracer
green
Brown? (hard to tell after 40 years)

The only way the motor will run on two wires is with the red/w green and green wires. The red/green wire is wired into the park switch, so I designate it "ground". With motor running, touching the Brown wire to the ground (red/w green) slows the motor, touching it to the pos (Green) speeds the motor. When running fast, a considerable amount of ozone is produced. My interpretation of your post is my motor is reacting opposite the way it should.

Also, what does the resister look like? When I had the motor open I did not see anything that looked like a resistor.

Bill

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Bill,

I had it wrong. The way you describe is at it should work - mostly. I was confused until I read more of the description in the manual. I am surprised that the motor is supposed to (and does) run slower when the resistor is shorted/bypassed. I am used to configurations where motors run slower when a resistor is in its path. I guess I'll have to read up on motors more to find an explanation!

But what you describe now is partly correct:
1) You must have the Green and the Red / Green wire connected for any action at all. And that connection would make it run relatively Fast .
2) Keep the connections above plus touch the Brown wire to the Red/Green and it will go at the Normal speed, which is slower.

3) BUT there is no planned condition where the Brown wire is connected to the Green wire. You say that doing so makes it run even faster and causes ozone. I can believe it causes ozone as it is not a normal condition and I could imnagine it causes excess curent to flow through the brushes causing more than normal arcing. I am puzzled that it makes the motor run faster, but clearly I am in learning mode about this design of motor, called a Shunt or Parallel-wound motor.

So it looks like you have the motor running as it should. Be careful when you reassemble the top cover with the parking switch lead wire on it. If you get it on with the wrong orientation it will park the wipers in a strange positiojn - I think.

Tom H

I do not understand at all

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Much thanks Tom. Getting the slow speed by connecting a second ground was a total surprise to me, but the resulting speeds seemed "right". Also, the fact that simply moving the wire (not reconnecting) reversed the speeds really threw me for a loop. Now to install it.

I can use schematics to hook up stuff, but understanding the impact of the circuitry is way beyond me.

Bill