• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wiper Motor

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
My Series V windshield wipers hadn't been powered for over 40 years & when I put the switch on there was no movement. Turns out it was a combination of dirty connections and mechanism stuck from inactivity. Got them running ok but sounds like noisy gears so I want to lube them but hate to take the wiper motor off the car if I don't have to. The domed cover faces downward. Can the cover be taken off without parts falling out? All the posts I've found so far refer to bench testing and rebuilds. I just want to lube the gears in place if possible.

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
So long as you can reach all the bolts that hold that cover on you can remove it to clean and lube the motor.
Just make sure you put it back in the same position as the round part will change how the motor operated.
My cubby box is in front of my motor so that has to be removed first.

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks for both responses. I'll see how much if any improvement I can get with just the cover removed and plan for a more complete job once I have a running car.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
My Series V windshield wipers hadn't been powered for over 40 years & when I put the switch on there was no movement. Turns out it was a combination of dirty connections and mechanism stuck from inactivity. Got them running ok but sounds like noisy gears so I want to lube them but hate to take the wiper motor off the car if I don't have to. The domed cover faces downward. Can the cover be taken off without parts falling out? All the posts I've found so far refer to bench testing and rebuilds. I just want to lube the gears in place if possible.
"The domed cover faces downward"? Unless you somehow have your wiper motor mounted upside-down, the drive gears are accessed through the top, under the flat cover. This is why Steve commented the cubby box needs to be removed first 'cause I don't see how you could possibly access the top with it in place.

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks, I totally misunderstood & should have looked at the manual first. The easily accessed cover on the bottom was inviting but I see it's only covering the motor not the gears. Is there any way to remove the whole assembly without taking out the cubby box? I see the external nut where the tubing connects but I don't know if there is any way to disconnect the drive cable without getting the top cover off and getting the top cover off would require taking out the cubby box. I guess there's no way to lubricate it without taking out the cubby box.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, I totally misunderstood & should have looked at the manual first. The easily accessed cover on the bottom was inviting but I see it's only covering the motor not the gears. Is there any way to remove the whole assembly without taking out the cubby box? I see the external nut where the tubing connects but I don't know if there is any way to disconnect the drive cable without getting the top cover off and getting the top cover off would require taking out the cubby box. I guess there's no way to lubricate it without taking out the cubby box.
You cannot remove the wiper transmissions or their cable from the motor without removing the top cover. The cable travels through the tube beyond the nut to a arm that attaches to a large gear atop the internal motor. I suggest you follow Steve's advice and just remove the cubby.

Acollin

Donation Time
old trick

While I am not exactly certain how difficult your stated process will be, there may be a “ quick and dirty” repair.
Depending on just how much “noise” is coming from the wiper motor gear box, you might be able to get by pointing a hair drier or a heat gun at the motor. I have seen these kinds of motors that have sat idle for years where the congealed grease inside the gear box becomes the barrier. The motor is not powerful enough to overcome the density of the congealed grease. Heating will soften the grease and hopefully allow the gears to move again and also re-lubricate the system.
Not then concourse repair and certainly know fix for a damaged part. It is possible that your motor needs encouragement rather than wrenching.
If you try my suggestion, let the forum know what happened.
Good Luck

JR66

Gold Level Sponsor
I took the wiper arms off and let motor run for several minutes at both speeds. Did apply some heat from my heat gun. I think it's better but not sure if that was from the heat or just the movement. Still a little noisy but maybe it was always a little noisy. Maybe the heat helped - not really sure but certainly didn't hurt since I was very cautious to not heat it too much. Anyway it's good enough for now and thanks for the tip.

Beamin

Platinum Level Sponsor
I just finished finished rebuilding my entire wiper assembly while out of the car. It’s amazing how stiff 50+ year old grease can get, particularly in the area where the linkage moves back and forth in the housing. I haven’t bench tested it yet, but its hard to imagine that the motor won’t have a whole lot easier time without having to push everything back and forth in that quagmire. Hopefully the heat gun trick softens things up in yours for a fairly long time.

Acollin

Donation Time
I wonder if someone could post an audio for you of what freshly rebuilt sounds like. While my wiper motor has not been opened for some time, I will see if I can make that happen. We might be able to get an older unattended to sound to compare. Although, our weather here is not cooperating much at all for springtime changes. The shop can get cool and my wood stove takes its time in raising the temp. 8” of snow is simply not what we expect this time of year.

Also, While I have not seen exactly what you see, I might try still more heat. Just make certain nothing too flammable is near by or maybe go a bit safer still and try a hair dryer. The movement definitely will help.

Good luck and I will see if I can make that audio clip happen.
Be well
Andrew

Tim R

Silver Level Sponsor
One of the best improvements you can make to the car is to replace the wiper rack (the drive cable) with a new one. As they get old they get increasingly sloppy and the wipers skitter across the screen and don't clear it. There will be large amounts of free play and little control of the wiper arms. Replace the old rack and they will work as a pair and properly clean the screen for a cost of about £12 (around $15). You do have to remove the motor and rack assembly from the car though. If you do do this, follow the process shown in the video because if you don't it is very easy to damage parts in the drive unit that will be hard to replace.
Tim R

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Great video, Tim! I will definitely have it running in the background when I refurbish the wipers for my SIV!