• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wiper motor problems

napa 1

Donation Time
Help. I think I may have a problem with my wiper motor.
I'm moving along on the Harrington, just installed the wiper assembly, but when testing the motor with a 12v lantern battery, I'm getting nothing but a spark.. It bench tested well..but now I'm wondering if somehow it's stuck, or I accidentally shorted it out?? Any thoughts about how to proceed in looking in to this. This is the original wiper motor and I also have an NOS wiper motor still in it's rootes box, but it doesn't respond to power either...so wondering if I am missing something, or if this is typical of these motors to sieze up?? Yes the battery is fresh and I'm following the wiring diagram to wire it up..ie: red to ground wire, , green to powered switch and black to body ground. Any thoughts?
thanks

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Tiger Tom wrote a tech tip a few years back that covered lubricating the wiper assy. If you can't find it on the TE/AE website, I can dig out my hard copy and fax it to you. If the motor tested OK, then possibly the arms (transmission?) is binding?

napa 1

Donation Time
Thanks so much guys. You know, now that I think about it, I replaced the two spindle sections with NOS ones from tiger tom, I may not have attached them correctly so that maybe the gears are binding at that point. I'll remove them and see if that helps. Thanks for the tips.

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
John, I'm not sure a 12 V "lantern battery" has enough current capabiity to drive a wiper motor. Especially since the NOS motor would not run from that power source. I'd suggest trying first to power up the NOS wiper from a car battery. If that works, then try your original wiper and see if it works.

As I said, I'm not sure about a lantern battery. I guarantee that a pair of 9 v transitor radio bateries in series (18 V) would NOT run your wiper motor.

Tom

napa 1

Donation Time
I was wondering about that as well, although on the bench I did have it running with the lantern battery...however I'm going to pick up a fresh car battery today so that at least I'll know that that part of the equation is correct. Thanks for your help.

John.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
One of the most versitile things I have for diagnosing electrical problems is one of those portable power supplies/jumpstarters. It give you a great 12volts w/enough amps to bench power most things. Great for giving yourself a jumpstart, when you forget to turn off your lights, also.:)

napa 1

Donation Time
thanks guys for the tips. I loosened the new wheel boxes and then reconnected the power and sure enough the motor came to life. - well, I don't think you can call these wipers "lively" but a least we've got normal function again. I must have clamped down on the rack some how when installing the boxes and tubes.