• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Windshield removal

SRQJeff

Bronze Level Sponsor
I need to replace my windshield seal (glass to frame) but can't find a glass shop that will do it. They say the glass usually breaks when you take it out. Does anyone know a safe way to do it myself?

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
It's actually not that bad a job to do, depending on what series Alpine you have.
If you have a Series 3 to Series V, remove the screen from the car. It makes it a lot easier to work with. Remove all the stainless trim from around the frame.
If you are replacing the seal, simply cut the outer part off with a utility knife. That will allow you to push the glass out of the frame.( you may wind up cutting the inside as well) Once it's out, just remove the rest of the seal from the glass and clean off whatever residue is left on it.

To fit the new seal, put it on the windsheild and then fit it to the frame. I know lots of folks use the rope method to get the last part of the seal in the frame. It's just never worked well for me. I just use a blunt screwdriver (carefully)
to push the rest of the seal in. I just did this in my Series V and it took a little over an hour to do. Don't worry too much about breaking the glass, just use even pressure and don't force it in a way that it will break. They are actually a lot harder to break than you'd think.

Good luck!
Steve

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
After waiting 4 weeks for the glass guy I finally got the nerve to try it, and just as Steve said its not that bad,just take your time. I did mine while still on the car and only took off the lower outside chrome.
Jeff

mikephillips

Donation Time
If you are dealing with the later style from the 3 thru the end, examine the frame once apart. Depending on the history of the car it's not unusual to find the lower corners need rust repair. Easiest to do when apart.

bulldurham

Platinum Level Sponsor
The early frames are chrome plated and well done. I don't know if the whole frame is brass but I know the attaching studs are.
I have recently replaced the seal in my Series II and it was not a particularly easy job.
Removing the frame from the car is not hard, nor is taking apart the frame to remove the glass. It took 2 persons to re assemble the frame once the seal was on the glass and I suggest removing a little of the inner seal at the points where the screws are to avoid any pressure on the glass edge. If you replace the screws be sure to use the same size screws as one too long will likely cause a crack or break in the glass edge. Don't be afraid to use lots of soapy water to help the rubber move against the frame and into the correct position.
I found the most difficult area to fit was the upper, side areas. This may have been due to aftermarket glass or even having the glass just a tiny bit off center in the frame but it ended well.
W/ the frame off you may want to replace the frame to body seal as well. And you will want to use sealer for both rubbers.