• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Window keeps rolling up?

twospeed

Donation Time
After putting about 1000 miles on my first Alpine,1 thing just bugs me alittle.
My drivers side window keeps rolling up,new felts in the channels and tracks but every 5 minutes I have to roll the window down.
Goes up about a inch and stops, just enought so I cant rest my arm on the door. Any ideas?

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Did you replace the spring in the window regulator or remove and re-install the original? Sounds like the spring is too tight and needs released one twist.

Mark

agmason54

Donation Time
Wond to tight.....

Beamers
For your viewing pleasure.... These are SI-II regulators. As you can see they have two springs each. SIII-V have only one spring but SV regulator bodies are different from SIII & IV....I believe(?) all series use the same spring and they should be installed with the regulator in the down position with no tension on the spring.
Agm

Attachments

• 102_6197 (Large).jpg
    102_6197 (Large).jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 57

Tom H

Platinum Level Sponsor
Mark, I had totally forgotten about the springs there and was puzzled.

Al, you are such a resource, with hardware close at hand !

However: though it's been a while since I had my window mechanisms out, unless my physics understanding is all screwed up, the spring should have no tension when UP, not when down. The purpose of the spring is to act as a counterweight, partly offsetting the weight of the window to make lifting/ cranking the window up easier. If there is no tension when down, then presumably there would be tension when UP. That would make cranking down easier- but we already have gravity helping it go down!

I find no info in the WSM on setting the regulator spring tension. I imagine that your suggestion to install the spring with no tension at the end (except at the fully UP position) makes sense. That would mean the user would have little or no "assist" for the last half crank or so. And if that resulted in the window raising up on its own, then I guess you'd want to reduce the tension even further. But I'll bet twospeed has the tension set too high.

Tom

agmason54

Donation Time
Tom
I have no idea.I thought the spring got tight on the way up and loose on the way down. Beats me. Maybe later I will wind one up for you.Something is hokey and that's all the more scientific I can get...
Later Sir,
Al

agmason54

Donation Time
Tom &Two Speed
I picked up a SIII passenger side regulator and played with it for awhile. Once I undid the puzzle and figured out how it was supposed to lay in the car( I cheated by looking at a SIII door) I found out that the spring gets looser when the window is all the way up just like Tom said. I wound the crank mechanism up all the way until the gear was wound all the way out of the crank handle drive. Only then was the spring not under tension and it would just fall out.When getting the gear or sprocket wound back in place the spring would then start to tighten. It looked like the spring could easily be reinstalled upside down.Looking at the spring when getting the gear and sprocket lined up it(the spring) has a U shaped end. The U is upside down on the left and has a place for it to catch.( I can't say what the driver side would be like..) I am going to guess that 2 Speed assembled his springs in his regulators in some position other than all the way up giving it a little extra tension making the windows rise. So in other words when installing a spring put the regulator close as possible to the up position and then install the spring under little tension or just let the gear drive and sprocket come apart,then install the spring then let the gear drive and sprocket wind it in place. The sprocket in the up position has just enough tension to keep it from falling out. I will say that if anyone ever removes one it a good idea to at least mark it R or L.To make it worse my parts manual show a SIII drivers side regulator next to a SIII passenger door.I bet that has confused someone sometime somewhere.....
I'm all typed out
later
AGM

Toyanvil

Gold Level Sponsor
Since you installed new felts in the channels and tracks, I would check the alignment of your tracks. I am guessing your tracks are to close together front to back and are squeezing the window up while you are driving.

twospeed

Donation Time
Tom &Two Speed
I picked up a SIII passenger side regulator and played with it for awhile. Once I undid the puzzle and figured out how it was supposed to lay in the car( I cheated by looking at a SIII door) I found out that the spring gets looser when the window is all the way up just like Tom said. I wound the crank mechanism up all the way until the gear was wound all the way out of the crank handle drive. Only then was the spring not under tension and it would just fall out.When getting the gear or sprocket wound back in place the spring would then start to tighten. It looked like the spring could easily be reinstalled upside down.Looking at the spring when getting the gear and sprocket lined up it(the spring) has a U shaped end. The U is upside down on the left and has a place for it to catch.( I can't say what the driver side would be like..) I am going to guess that 2 Speed assembled his springs in his regulators in some position other than all the way up giving it a little extra tension making the windows rise. So in other words when installing a spring put the regulator close as possible to the up position and then install the spring under little tension or just let the gear drive and sprocket come apart,then install the spring then let the gear drive and sprocket wind it in place. The sprocket in the up position has just enough tension to keep it from falling out. I will say that if anyone ever removes one it a good idea to at least mark it R or L.To make it worse my parts manual show a SIII drivers side regulator next to a SIII passenger door.I bet that has confused someone sometime somewhere.....
I'm all typed out
later
AGM
These regulators have never been apart, atleast by me.I do know when the window is all the way up all I have to do is just put my hand on the window top and push down. Takes little effort to push them down.