• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Window coming to a hard stop, short of top

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I bought it with a broken window, but was fortunate to find a replacement. It rolls up and down fine, but comes to a hard stop an inch or so before going to the top. There is still gears left on the crank. Any thoughts?
47B68D09-784C-4501-BFB2-9195E055B6A7.jpeg

alpine_64

Donation Time
Its likely an adjustment issue of the holder coming off the track as it gets near the top.. Does the window appear to angle forward or back a little as it stops?

If you hold the glass at the top.. Can you raise it fully while cranking the handle?

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
I can see that. Which means I have to take the window back out :( I followed the dirt pattern on the old window, but it did have a different style track.

Is it possible to reinstall the window with the track in the car?

alpine_64

Donation Time
Were you able to lift it by hand to position?

Is your. Car a series IV or V? What car did you get the new mechanism from and how much did you swap over? There is a few detail differences from the early siv to the later

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Series V. I had to remove the glass from the carrier which was V shaped vs square that is on my car, so I could see that I could be off by a 1/4 inch on the placement of the window into the channel.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Ok. So you only replaced the glass not the mechanism?

Of so its likely an alignment issue and its slipping off as it reaches the top

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Yes, I only used the glass from the replacement. I used the witness lines from the old one to align the glass in the holder. The holders were different, so I’m assuming that is the difference.

NorCal

Silver Level Sponsor
Took the window out, moved the carrier toward the front 3/8 of an inch and it works like a champ. Mission accomplished, thanks all for the assistance, on to the next project.
48F324C3-5AE7-44FE-A924-AEC1CFF97E87.jpeg

Last edited: