• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wind deflectors

mbruskin

Donation Time
I am a new series 5 Alpine owner. What tricks are there to block the wind from coming around the little side window? I have a TR3A with wind wings, but I don't think that would work with the Alpine. Don't think it would look that great, either.

Thanks,

Murray

alpine_64

Donation Time
windows up... the 1/4 lighst were introduced on the S3's to allow draft free ventelation, the theory being you drive wiht the window partial open and the air does not buffet.. doesnt seem to work... and not sure anyone has ever really tride to fix it.

todd reid

Gold Level Sponsor
Michael,
I have never heard this theory before. If that is truly the reason, they missed the mark - they should have made the 1/4 windows so they could pivot open.

My solution to buffeting can be summed up as follows: Put the bloody top down! Thats why I bought a convertible in the first place! I always keep a sweatshirt in the trunk for unforseen cool weather.

65beam

Donation Time
they also could have added the wings due to the change in the top frame. the series 1 & 2 cars did not have a very good design. with the wings the door windows are much more stable and with the new top frame ,doors and windows adjusted right, the cars became much more waterproof. on our series 5, the windows fit into the channel on the top frame rubber and also seal against the wing. in a normal rain we don't get water around the windows and top. our robbins top also velcros down and the sides overlap the top frame providing a cover over the top of the windows and the rubber.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Michael,
I have never heard this theory before. If that is truly the reason, they missed the mark - they should have made the 1/4 windows so they could pivot open.

My solution to buffeting can be summed up as follows: Put the bloody top down! Thats why I bought a convertible in the first place! I always keep a sweatshirt in the trunk for unforseen cool weather.

Todd, i think everyone wonders why they didnt make the 1/4 windows open like other cars.. but the theory from rootes was they were essentialy wind deflectors.. hence why they didnt pivot them. If you read the raod test of the S3's they talk about how the theory doesnt work.. oh well.. i guess they tried :rolleyes: