• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Wife wants to buy a 2010 Mini

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Thanks for the reply, Sam. It looks like she's gonna do it. I don't know that much about them. Are they British, German, French/Japanese? I guess, I'm just dreading the expense of maintaining it...especially if it's French:eek:. Hope your wife enjoys her Clubman.
Ron

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
My wife has an 8 month old MINI Clubman and absolutely loves it. It actually has some pretty good cargo capability, and serviceable rear seats if the passengers are not too large.

I couldn't convince her to get a manual so it has an automatic, but with the standard non-supercharged engine she averages 33 mpg in mixed driving. Of course she really likes the attention it garners.

It seems there is a large MINI enthusiast community, but we have not really gotten in to it yet, lots of waves from other MINI drivers though.

I think some people see it as a cheap way to get into a BMW. Some aspects of it are a little cheap, but it really is a unique car for today's market. One thing I've noticed is the engine makes some cheap car noises, especially at start up. It doesn't sound smooth when first fired up, it's a little hard to explain. However we've had absolutely no problems with it, and the dealers have been great as well.

For us it came down to buying a unique, cute car. We looked at some other cars, but if you're looking for a MINI because it is a MINI nothing else will do. We looked at a new Focus which felt like a very good car, maybe better than the MINI, but it just wasn't a MINI if you know what I mean.

A big thumbs up from my wife so far, hopefully we'll have no regrets years from now.

Ron67Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Good links, Nick, I don't know where my wife got the idea it was French/Japanese.
Mine wants an auto, also, Todd. Linda wants it because it's cute, and gives good milage, she's not really concerned w/it's performance. The wiki link, gives me the idea I won't be working on it. Although a convertable would be nice it's out of our price range, she's looking at the basic coupe. I'm sure she'll appriciate the attention, who knows maybe it will give her more enthuasiasm, to go to some events.
Thanks for the feedback and info.
Ron