• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why the 1995 or later T5? Should I swap out my '91?

cdk84

Donation Time
While this is based on Jose's Forum observation that the 1995 and later T5's are preferable, I would like his --as well as others'-- thoughts about the reasons behind this. (It was mentioned in passing in another thread)

My reason for asking is that my V6 needs a clutch. If there are some limitations to the 1991 T5 in the car, wouldn't this be the time to swap out the gearbox? Or would that be a *giant* undertaking? What would it cost? Any special tools required?

Thanks, Jose, for all your V6 advice, and to others who chime in on this topic.

All the Best,

David
V6 convert -- I think

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
I believe other than a slight difference in the gearing, it comes down to the input shaft length. The later T5's with the 7.85" input shaft don't need the pilot adapter where the earlier 5.0 T5 with its 7.18" input shaft does.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi David,

The only reason I mention 1996 and later, is that there is an upgrade to the transmissions made after that. I can't remember exactly what it is, but I thought that if a guy is looking for a transmission, why not go with the latest. Your 1991 T5 is fine. You don't need to change it. It will never give you any trouble.

Jose :)