• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Why aren't people doing a 2.9 V6 swap?

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Barry, my installations end up with the crank above the cross member. One of the main issues is sump clearance. I keep the bottom of the sump at the same level as the bottom of the cross member. How much sump clearance do you have?

Bill

Barry

Diamond Level Sponsor
Bill,

I agree about hiding the oil pan behind the front suspension crossmember.

It has been a while since there was a factory Series Alpine front suspension crossmember in my S-V. My recollection is that the bottom of a standard Camaro V6 oil pan was about even with the bottom of the factory front suspension crossmember which is about 3-1/2" deep. It may have been a little lower, but not much.

I ultimately gave up on the Series Alpine front suspension / steering layout and fabricated a front suspension package with a straight crossmember which goes under the front of the oil pan. It uses aftermarket M-II spindles and steering rack, but it is not really a "M-II front suspension" because all of the control arm lengths and suspension pick-up points have been changed. The fabricated front suspension is out of the car now, so I can't make any measurements.

Last edited:

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Dan, have you compared the 2.9/4.0 oil pumps with the 2.8? I wonder if the 2.8 oil pump can be made to work on the 2.9/4.0? Can the 2.8 hex drive be milled between the points to work in the 2.9/4.0 oil pump? I know the 2.9 Torx drive can be welded and ground to fit the 2.8 distributor.

Jim, I paid a visit to the local FORD Dealer yesterday for some identification of the two different 4.0 V6 drive gears (function as the distributor in 3.8 & 2.9 engines).

I discovered the one for my (new rebuilt) 4.0 was shorter than one I bought to utilize in making modifications to the 2.8 distributor. I also discovered my rebuilt engine is a '92 year not a '95. The "taller" drive gear assy s for a '95-'97 4.0 V6. Another "difference" in the Ford engines not easily identifiable until there is a comparable one available:)

Now I must find "which" distributor to use (modify) for the 4.0. Any clues?

I'll post some PIC's later.....

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
I'd use a 2.8 distributor with a 4.0 gear and the drive shaft has to be half and half, Torx in the oil pump and Hex in the distributor. Same setup should work with the 2.9 using the 2.9 gear. Sounds like the later oil pump is high volume with longer gears.