• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Who's doin' what

Green67Alpine

Former SAOCA Membership Director
Platinum Level Sponsor
Hi Folks,
What Alpine projects do you have going on this winter? I've got a couple seats that need to be redone, sure will make it more comfortable in the spring time IF it happens.

Lets hear some of what you've got planed before Invasion XI ! ! !

Happy Thanksgiving,

Tom j

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
Started out fixing the clutch release bearing, ended up with some scope creep. While the engine's out why don't I clean up the engine bay? I'm pretty good at removing stuff, hopefully I can get it back together!

How many weeks do I have before the Invasion...

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
Let's see, weld up the kit to make a high clearance oil sump (badly needed).
Remove engine, install sump, modify crossmember to accommodate the new sump.
Modify engine mounts for thicker pucks.
Mount the new adjustable fuel pressure regulator.
Swap out the 1990's something Ford 50 mm throttle body for the stock Duratec (60mm?) throttle body.
Install new expansion valve in the AC unit.
Replace the 2nd gear synchro.
Brace the remote shifter.
Have another go at the back up light switch.
Pull the 3rd member and check clearances (kind of noisy).
Install new windshield.
Re-route the exhaust from the header to the cruciform.

Ought to keep me busy until Christmas.

Bill

PROCRAFT

Donation Time
Doing what

Lets see now that we have the motor fit to the Tiger all we have left to do is
Finish the motor plate.
fab a rear mount for the T5
Fab a new front crossmember like the V8 Alpine
Shorten a rear axle as soon as the wheels arrive maybe an 8.8 again
Finish all the metal work trans tunnel, new front valance etc etc etc
And the list go's on and on!

Eleven

Platinum Level Sponsor
Replace shocks, and trace persistant clunk in rear of car (Have rebuilt the diff so it is not that). Would like to get a roll bar and tonneau. Take car to exhaust shop and get leak fixed on system they built. 20 degrees and snowy in Seattle ('fer gawd's sake) so nothing this week in my unheated garage.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
Remove the engine, installing 1496 hunter HC pistons.

Reseal motor, perhaps do the chevy front seal mod.

Port the cylinder head to the weber intake.

Perform a partial Vizard chamber treatment (partial becuase the target compression will be 10/1).

Mill intake valve guides for valve guide seals.

Put higher rate valve springs in the head (for safe 7000 rpm operation).

Install EFI throttles in place where the webers are now.
Install 4, 27lb/hr injectors (for E85 fuel).
Toss the distributor, going distributorless coil on plug.

Reseal and install overdrive transmission.

Have rear shocks rebuilt at Apply hydrolics.

Overly optimistic?

AlpineII

Donation Time
* Complete re-wiring for V6 install
* Install, wire and get new Dolphin gauges operational
* Complete hard top restoration
* Build new interior panels in white
* Re-cover centre console in white
* Have '78 mustang II seats re-upholstered (white) with lower profile for Series 3
* Roll front valance to take bigger wheels
* Polish slot mags

65beam

Donation Time
doin'

rootes racer,
why would you want to convert to E85? in this part of the country there is no source for it. is there a supply in your area?

RootesRacer

Donation Time
rootes racer,
why would you want to convert to E85? in this part of the country there is no source for it. is there a supply in your area?

Colorado is the center of the renewable fuel scam universe.

Cornland is just a state over, and the locals think they are doing the environment a favor by burning a "renewable" fuel. So yes its available here.
I say BS, but I'm not going to bitch too loud since its 105 octane fuel for just over $2.00 a gallon. Factoring the BTU difference, it puts the cost at about $2.75 for the equivalent BTUs of gasoline, plus the engine will no longer be knock limited on the ignition timing.

65beam

Donation Time
e 85

rootes racer
cost was the reason it went away here. when it was being sold a couple years ago, pump price was sometimes 50 to 75 cents more than E10. i don't know of anyplace that still sells it including the fuel terminals. there also is no source for conventional gas here anymore. all of the terminals pulled it out and only have E10. with the blenders credit and lower taxes, the cost of E10 is much cheaper so that was a no brainer. one thing we have in this area is that all but one company start with a sub grade gas ( 84 or 85 octane ) and when the ethanol is added the octane raises to 87. the one terminal in columbus does not bring in anything but 87, so when blended the 87 is actually an 89 octane but is sold as an 87 octane. eliminates the need for storage tanks for the lower usage 89 since it's the smallest in the area.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
rootes racer
cost was the reason it went away here. when it was being sold a couple years ago, pump price was sometimes 50 to 75 cents more than E10. i don't know of anyplace that still sells it including the fuel terminals. there also is no source for conventional gas here anymore. all of the terminals pulled it out and only have E10. with the blenders credit and lower taxes, the cost of E10 is much cheaper so that was a no brainer. one thing we have in this area is that all but one company start with a sub grade gas ( 84 or 85 octane ) and when the ethanol is added the octane raises to 87. the one terminal in columbus does not bring in anything but 87, so when blended the 87 is actually an 89 octane but is sold as an 87 octane. eliminates the need for storage tanks for the lower usage 89 since it's the smallest in the area.

Its unfortunate you cant get E85, but the reality is that its an artificial economy and market. Without subsidy from the government, ethanol fuel cant stand on its own for less than $4 a gallon, and then you are talking about $6 equivalent cost.

If the E85 supply dries up here, I can just retune for gasoline, and/or swap back to 19 lb/hour injectors.
The high compression I end up with is a different matter...

Nickodell

Donation Time
I'm replacing Matilda's brake MC. I searched for available tandem ones with 3/4" bore, outlets on the RH side and fluid reservoir, and came upon the one for early 80's Fiats, for $30. Ordered one, but when it arrived it was nothing like the illustration (no reservoir, outlets on top.) Back it goes and here we go again.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
My "Winter" project is to drive the wheels off my car, until late April/May. :D

FYI:Doing an internet radio show on Monday night where I plan to plug SAOCA, ASOC and V6 Conversions. Looks like I'm the warm up act for Kai Goddard and Jeff Andretti.

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
My "Winter" project is to drive the wheels off my car, until late April/May. :D

FYI:Doing an internet radio show on Monday night where I plan to plug SAOCA, ASOC and V6 Conversions. Looks like I'm the warm up act for Kai Goddard and Jeff Andretti.

Nice, That sounds like the best project so far :cool:

Where on the internet are you going to be?

Tom j

Alpine Addict

Platinum Donor
Platinum Level Sponsor
Recovered the under dash pad yesterday.

I see a webber cab conversion as I am tied of playing with the strombergs.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Nice, That sounds like the best project so far :cool:

Where on the internet are you going to be?

Tom j

http://revitupradio.net/

There's a link on the left side to click on. I'll be on somewhere between 6.00 PM- 7.30 PM Arizona time. It's primarily a hot rod show but they cover racing and events. They saw my car at a show a few weeks ago and were interested in the V6 conversion.

I promise not to embarrass the club. :D

bmohr

Gold Level Sponsor
My plan (after Christmas anyway) is to buy Steve Kirk a pint or case or something like that so he can come over and kick my butt and make me get my car running. First thing will be to go back over all that's done, and assess what needs still needs to be done or redone. My guess is 20 hours worth of work. Flushing engine block, put in radiator, drain old gas, get new battery, and of course brakes.

Much more mundane than most of what people have planned for their cars and of course once it's uncovered and I look at it again I'll probably find my work was not nearly as complete as I thought it was.

Happy belated Thanksgiving to all and Happy upcoming Holidays as well

Green67Alpine

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd do the brakes first...get that out of the way.. always good to stop..:eek:

Any one else working on their 'pines ?

Tom j