• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Which V6 is the correct V6?

Chris_64

Donation Time
I found a 1984 Mustang II LX with a 2.8 V6 with low miles. It runs strong and the guy only wants $400.00.

Is this the correct one for the conversion?

He'll let me take what parts I need and leave the shell so it sounds pretty good. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right parts.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Rsgwynn1

Silver Level Sponsor
Jose or JimE can tell you for sure, but I believe the 2.8 V6 was a Mustang II engine from 74-78.

Series6

Past President
Gold Level Sponsor
Yup

You may need to find an oil pan and pump from a Ranger P/U as the one you have may have the sump in front.

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I found a 1984 Mustang II LX with a 2.8 V6 with low miles. It runs strong and the guy only wants $400.00.

Is this the correct one for the conversion?

He'll let me take what parts I need and leave the shell so it sounds pretty good. I just want to make sure I'm getting the right parts.

Thanks for any help.

Chris
Hi Chris,

If the car is indeed a 1984 Mustang, it will not be a Mustang II. You mention that it is an LX, which leads me to believe that it is a 1984 Mustang. If this is so, the V6 that it has, is a 3.8 V6. This engine will not fit the engine compartment, because it has a 90 degree configuration, thus too wide, so is not the one you need. The last 2.8 V6's, came in the Ranger/Bronco II, years, 1983-1985. The earlier engines were found in 1974-1978 Mustang II's, Capri/Capri II's and Pinto/Bob Cat wagons.

The reason the 2.8 V6 fits, where other V6's don't, is because of the 60 degree angle the block has. There is another Ford 60 degree V6, but it is smaller and obsolete, so parts are scarce and expensive. G.M. has several 60 degree V6's, but they don't fit as easily, because of the exhaust port configuration and starter location.

Jose:)

Jim E

Donation Time
The Fox body Mustang did come with the 2.8 one year 1979 sort of rare I have only seen one. Not sure how the engine is configured as far as oil pan and such.

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
I have 2.8 V6 engines that I want to sell. I have 3 Ranger and I have 2 MustangII. They are $300 each or $500 for a pair. I'll throw in a complete gasket set with an engine.
Location - Ian's Batcave, Tipp City OH (right off I-75)

T

turbinepete

Jumpinjan,

I will be travelling to Columbus next week (a meeting at the airport). How long is it to the batcave?

Pete

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Google maps says 77.3 mi, 1hr 18min.
Tipp City is about 8 miles north of I-70. Very easy to get to.

Chris_64

Donation Time
Engine types

jumpinjan,

I'm in Los Angeles, I think shipping would be pretty high? If it's reasonable are you able to ship?

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
I have 2.8 V6 engines that I want to sell. I have 3 Ranger and I have 2 MustangII. They are $300 each or $500 for a pair. I'll throw in a complete gasket set with an engine.
Location - Ian's Batcave, Tipp City OH (right off I-75)
Jan,

Are these engines part of the stuff you called V6 Crap, that you wanted to get rid of??:D At least the prices are coming down closer to reality.

Jose :)

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Well,
they won't last long at those prices, the ones that don't sell will be scrapped.
I can put one engine on a pallet and take to a freight terminal. There are MANY around here (I-70/I-75). You need to work out the Bill-of-lading, and not me. I got in one narrow jam because of that. Yes, it could cost about $450 to go to California.