• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

Which brakes do I have?

zoodragon

Donation Time
Brakes are shot and seized. Need to order parts but I'm not sure which setup is on here.
Parts came in boxes so not sure if this is the original Series V rear axle or not.

I "think" it's the self adjusting based on the springs but wanted to verify.

1694486440091.png1694486459859.png

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Looks like you have self-adjusting brakes. The lever on the toothed wheel activated by the parking brake is the tell tale. BTW - Your long spring should be on the inside of the brake shoes.

Mike

1694489358997.png

hartmandm

Diamond Level Sponsor
Not sure what issues might occur if the spring is on the front. The WSM specifies it should be between the back plate and shoes, but doesn't mention any issues that might result if it is mounted on the front.

1694522121161.png

Last edited:

zoodragon

Donation Time
It will make noise. I removed the other side and that side was done correctly.
The side with the spring backwards will hit the hub studs constantly and makes noise on every contact.
There's some witness marks as well on the spring. I'll order another to be safe.

mikephillips

Donation Time
And for those who wonder, on the manual adjust rear brakes the lever for the emergency brake is the same on both sides and there is no toothed adjusting wheel on the wheel cylinder, where the self adjust arms are handed and you see the toothed adjuster on the cylinder.

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
FWIW, I had those, and did everything in my power to get them to self adjust. I gave up. I got everything to switch to the manual adjusted. But then I decided to get the disk brake kit. Very happy I did that.

mikephillips

Donation Time
Yea, the cog and slotted adjusting screw don't work very well, they seize up fairly quickly. I suspect that is why Rootes went back to the manual adjust to finish production. I gather MGC, which used the same setup, also ditched it pretty quick.

Gordon Holsinger

Diamond Level Sponsor
Yea, the cog and slotted adjusting screw don't work very well, they seize up fairly quickly. I suspect that is why Rootes went back to the manual adjust to finish production. I gather MGC, which used the same setup, also ditched it pretty quick.
Guestie’s garage has the adjusters

Jay Laifman

Donation Time
I got new adjusters, new springs, new slave cylinders. All purportedly adjusted and lubed to work well. It was sporadic at best. And then it wouldn't stay tight. I designed a piece to add to keep the lever aligned and against the gear after each pull. But I decided to stop messing with it, and go either non-adjusting drums or disk conversion (which I did).

I also went to various MGC and Triumph GT6 boards to see what they did about getting the system to work. I never found anything that was helpful.

I should add that the parking brake would work. And the brakes did work. It's just that because the gear would end up loosening, the pedal travel was always longer than I liked.

I really wanted it to work. I liked its ingenuity. I liked the challenge. But my frustration ultimately won out over originality.