• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What's the most power you've been able to achieve?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Guys, Here is what the program shows: Cam straight up 8 to 1=5.5, 9 to 1=6, 10 to 1=6.9, 11 to 1=7.5. 4 degrees cam advance 8 to 1=5.8, 9 to 1= 6.5, 10 to 1=7.2, 11 to 1=7.9. 8 degrees cam advance 8 to 1=6, 9 to 1=6.8, 10 to 1=7.5, 11 to 1=8.2. This tells me ideally you should have 10 to 11 to 1 for straight up. 9.5 to 10.5 to 1 for 4 degrees advance. 8 degrees advance 9 to 10 to 1. all graphs in the 7 range show 190 to 200HP. I'll do a chart with a lower duration cam next.

Jim,
What does the number after the compression ration represent? Initial timing?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeH, Interesting pieces in that site! Several hard to find 2.8 V6 pieces and they have the Timing Cover (TC), very nice looking with a High price tag. But if you need one this is a source for future builds....

As an added note I saw the thermostat housing the first time I made the visit, then now I can't find it again.

The Timing gear has three keyways cut for adjustments,

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
260, I have a few "new"extra keys I can take some measurements and call the Sellers at the link you just posted and see what they say.

DanR

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim & MikeH, I had never given much thought to the number of teeth on the cam gear (68) just installed with the timing mark (dot) aligning with the crank gear (34 teeth).

What would be the difference in off setting the distributor one tooth as to the cam gear one tooth as Mike asked?

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
MikeH, Interesting pieces in that site! Several hard to find 2.8 V6 pieces and they have the Timing Cover (TC), very nice looking with a High price tag. But if you need one this is a source for future builds....

As an added note I saw the thermostat housing the first time I made the visit, then now I can't find it again.

The Timing gear has three keyways cut for adjustments,

http://initracing.co.uk/parts-for-sale/ford-cologne-weslake-v6-lower-water-outlet/

http://initracing.co.uk/parts-for-sale/ford-cologne-weslake-v6/

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Jim & MikeH, I had never given much thought to the number of teeth on the cam gear (68) just installed with the timing mark (dot) aligning with the crank gear (34 teeth).

What would be the difference in off setting the distributor one tooth as to the cam gear one tooth as Mike asked?

I think that would just change the dizzy indexing, where changing the cam gear would change the cam timing.

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike Thanks ! I tried to find the Thermostat Housing several times while "still on the link", It would not come back up. I went away for a few minutes then click back on the link you posted the first time again and PRESTO there it was

It (the housing) appears to be a new mould. and it has the heater connection out the side like I have seen on a few Mercury Capri's.

The only possible problem with using one on our Alpine conversions is that the heater hose connection might be a bit close to the frame at the side!

DanR

MikeH

Diamond Level Sponsor
Mike Thanks ! I tried to find the Thermostat Housing several times while "still on the link", It would not come back up. I went away for a few minutes then click back on the link you posted the first time again and PRESTO there it was

It (the housing) appears to be a new mould. and it has the heater connection out the side like I have seen on a few Mercury Capri's.

The only possible problem with using one on our Alpine conversions is that the heater hose connection might be a bit close to the frame at the side!

DanR

I believe the Cologne/Westlake parts are for a Capri. Haven't found much info on the Westlake. I think I saw heads on this site, too. You can find more stuff for that site by Googling cologne Westlake.

Found stuff on Westlake http://www.weslake-capri.com

Last edited:

kmathis

Donation Time
All of this cam stuff is fascinating. Can't wait to see what's next. Once all of the calculations are in it will be interesting to focus on a particular build to see what is needed as far as cam timing goes...advance or retard. To many numbers at this point. I like the idea of moving the cam gear one tooth.

Are you guys talking about the stock thermostat housing and that goofy little bypass housing with the three screw holes...if so, all of those are available at rockauto.com. I bought mine under the 1975 Mustang II cooling section for the 2.8...just an FYI.:)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Kelly It is not about that goofy little thing (by-pass) with the three holes ;)

We are referring to the thermostat housing that is used on the V6 Conversions ( I do the modifications which includes a heater option) because the "Capri" has a heater option that sticks out the side and might be much easier for my modification), if it does not hit the Alpine frame. Yep! I'm fully aware of the availability from Rockauto and a few other places too!

Thanks,

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Guys, more cam numbers and ignition. For Dan at 8.5 to 1 compression it did not make any difference at 0 or 5 advance in initial ignition timing. TQ curve moved down 500RPM at 5 advanced(1 tooth). Ignition timing 45 at 1000rpm and 34 at 1500. Kelly, I put in 10.5 to 1 and got the same results. Advanced put Kelly over on dynamic compression. Both need to be richer at idle. When I dropped the duration to the milder version I got 24 initial ignition timing and 34 total at 6000. The milder cam at 5 degrees advanced in Dan's was just right on the Dynamic compression number at 7.25. Kelly was over at 8.4. I put in 390 Holley with performance intake, stock heads and open headers for specs. The milder cam with 8.5 compression and advanced 5 degrees and 9 compression straight up had the best numbers overall. Jose cam straight up with Kelly, 200HP at 6000RPM was highest HP. All others 175 to 185HP.

Last edited:

kmathis

Donation Time
This is very interesting...I am running 39 total timing at 6 K and every time we reduced timing I gained HP, it would have been interesting to have backed it off further to 34 total as your program says and ran it again...and you are right about the idle being lean, I have my idle screws turned out 2 1/4 turns and it wants more...not sure how to get more out of the idle circuit.
Thanks for your input on all of this. I didn't know there was information like this out there...very cool:cool:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
The milder cam specs: 110 centerline, IN 230 duration @ .050 lift, EX 220 duration @ .050 lift, IN .460 lift, EX .470 lift. IN open 5 BTDC, closed 45 ABDC. EX open 40 BBDC, closed 0 ATDC. These numbers are straight up. If 8.5 to 1 to 9 to 1 advance 5 degrees(1 tooth).

Last edited:

260Alpine

Silver Level Sponsor
Performance Trends Engine Analyzer Pro. There are other Desktop Dyno programs out there too. This is just a demo version. I think I'll buy it.