• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What OD is this?

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'd know that gearbox from a mile away. It's an MGB gearbox with a D-type Laycock de Normanville overdrive (the side cover will say "MOWOG" on it). How the heck this got mated to a Sunbeam engine is a wonder to me. But, that being said, they are a pretty durable and smooth box. Indeed, if it happens to be an MGB V8 gearbox (they are virtually identical to 18000cc gearboxes, externally) it will be almost bullet-proof, as they were stronger than the 4-cyl versions.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I heard back from the seller. Twice. The first email assured me that the transmission was definitely used on his SIV. Then, he must have taken a closer look at the listing and sent me another one indicating that, Woops, he posted the wrong picture. I suspect he will have the right one posted shortly.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
This listing (250503268505) has been removed, or this item is not available.

So.. looks like he pulled the old listing. Probably had a bidder already and after you have a bidder I don't think you can substantively change the listing.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
So.. looks like he pulled the old listing. Probably had a bidder already and after you have a bidder I don't think you can substantively change the listing.

That listing was changed shortly after I posted it, but the new one is still there and still shows the same photo:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250503656974&fromMakeTrack=true

Quote ; The description say "This gearbox was fitted to my Sunbeam Alpine series 4 GT"
It was also part of an "£18000" Basket case (No shell or seats) that came up a couple of weeks ago http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sunbeam-Alpine-Mk4-Complete-Car-parts-for-Sale_W0QQitemZ250498998316QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a52e7602c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Interesting, especially since that auction also showed the MG tranny. I wonder what 's up? Like I said, I just checked and he hasn't changed the picture.

RootesRacer

Donation Time
well if it is a basket case, then perhaps he didnt remove it from the alpine engine an he actually believes that its a sunbeam trans.

stranger things have happened.

phatt

Donation Time
I don't see how this transmission could be used in a Sunbeam as the starter is on the wrong side!:eek:Paul

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
You guys missed my earlier message. I emailed the seller and he told me that it was the wrong picture and this is not the transmission that was on his SIV. So, he knows this is not an Alpine box, but says the one he is selling is the correct transmission. But, for whatever reason, he never changed the picture. I'd say buyer beware on this one!