• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What color should I paint my Tiger?

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
I have mentioned this car before, but Rocco/Mototron and I jointly own a Tiger that we have been bringing back to life for longer than I care to document. Just to give you an idea of what we started with, here is my favorite "before" photo.

IMG_2161.jpeg

Over the years that we have owned it we have had it media blasted, replaced the front end (a SIV that was butchered in an attempt at making a Tiger clone donated much of its sheet metal), rear valance, floors, trunk and the lower fenders. It has also been TAC'd. But, it has been stalled for the past year or so as life has gotten in the way.

The plan was always to restore the car and then sell it and it took a big step forward today, as we have found someone who will finish the metalwork and paint the car for a very reasonable price. He took it to his shop today and will soon start work on it. Here it is on the way out of Rocco's shop:

Resized_20240201_145236.jpegResized_20240201_145219.jpeg

One of the first decisions we now have to make is to decide on what color to paint it. That is something I would like the group's input on.

We know that it will never be a show car but expect it to be a very nice driver when we are all done. And we know the Tiger market is soft lately. (We haven't decided on the engine yet, but are leaning on starting with a 302 block that came with the car.) And, we would like to be able to sell it as quickly as possible to recoup our investment. Which brings me back to the paint color. Code 86 – Forest Green to match the VIN? Or will some other color help it sell quickly? Too many choices for a poll, but I am curious about the group's thoughts? There is always resale red, but there are so many red Sunbeams out there. What color would you paint it?

Last edited:

alpine_64

Donation Time
Barbie has been very popular lately .. there is a lone "playboy" pink tiger... Maybe you can corner the Barbie market and go pink with white interior/roof....:D

sunalp

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't know about pink, but I've always liked Midnight Blue. Not a bright as Commodore, but just a bit
rarer.

junkman

Gold Level Sponsor
The tag says 86, that's where I would go. Then again, "If it ain't right paint it white", maybe with a blue interior?

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Back in my earlier days there was a Hot Rod with the name "Color Me Gone"....

Can you guess its xxxxx ?

I like blue, Commodore Blue (106) then Greggers likes Grabber Blue. I have an early SIV GT BW35 Colour Code 39 (RED) that is very pretty (per the wife) but there are too many Reds IMO...... Go Blue.

As as added note/question, what was the colour for the donor Alpine? Give it a bit of recognization for memories sake.

Bill Blue

Platinum Level Sponsor
I like the #86 Green. Especially when the car is all decked out with chrome goodies. I think they exude a formal look that I love.
If you decide on red, don't use the Rootes orange-red. Use one of the modern reds that are almost candy apple. Another popular late model color to consider is the bright, medium Blue. Love it.
Bill

65sunbeam

SAOCA Membership Director
Diamond Level Sponsor
Wow I didn't know Rocco had such a long secluded driveway! Think how that Tiger would look sitting there painted white with a red interior....

Asm109

Donation Time
Any color but forest green.
Resale red.
If you were keeping it l would suggest balmoral gray with azure blue interior.
or midnight blue with azure blue.

Aladin Sane

Diamond Level Sponsor
I'm partial to a dark blue. Without the stripes in your case.

Attachments

• 20230122_162744.jpg
    20230122_162744.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 4

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
I found this color and really like this for #86 color code - there are way to many Forest Green, BRG, etc - and many I do not like .. but this color IMO is very nice and even looks better outside with sunshine.

Attachments

• 20191013_131344_resized.jpg
    20191013_131344_resized.jpg
    360 KB · Views: 16
  • 20230707_150735756_iOS.jpg
    20230707_150735756_iOS.jpg
    960 KB · Views: 17

boss-tiger

Silver Level Sponsor
Strongly recommend you pay the up front option of getting a color card so you can see and decide before buying any paint. Compare in different light sources - If you have not priced paint and required supplies lately you are in for an unfortunate supprise.

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Thanks, guys. Interesting options. We still have some time to consider it, so any further recommendations will be appreciated.
The tag says 86, that's where I would go. Then again, "If it ain't right paint it white", maybe with a blue interior?
I would never have thought about white, but that is something to think about, given all of the work the car has required. As for the interior, it came with a really nice re-upholstery kit that we have been planning on using. I am pretty sure it is an old (c 30 years) Martha Wheat kit. I guess we could sell that and buy a different one. Again, more to think about over the coming weeks.
As as added note/question, what was the colour for the donor Alpine? Give it a bit of recognization for memories sake.
The donor Alpine was a non stock red. The doors on the car in the 2nd and 3rd photos show the color. It was originally carnival red, like most Alpines. :)

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
I was mistaken from the first pic.... looked almost like Azure Blue.

Another rather rare colour from Rootes is the colour that came on my late Series '65 SIV ST OD Code 70 (Maroon).

A very nice color that was very popular in the mid sixtys. A friend of mine bought a Pontiac convertible that was Maroon with the black interior, beautiful.

bernd_st

Bronze Level Sponsor
If the Tiger is for resale I'ld go for Forrest Green. It's all about originality these days and you may achieve a premium...

jdoclogan

Platinum Level Sponsor
I'm not attracted to Yellow or Green cars. However, Forest Green with a dash of black mixed in gives it a wonderful "dark forest" green (similar to Boss Tiger's selection). I believe code 86 was the most selected color during Sunbeam production. Or, maybe the Rootes factory had to many 50 gallon drums of Forest Green. I have a Tiger (code 86) coming together that will be the above described green. I still have my first Tiger (and first running Sunbeam) with code 86 that I painted my personally mixed "deep red" in 1989.

Asm109

Donation Time
There are many shades of “British racing green “ some are stunning. I amnot a green hater, my new bronco is a fantastic metallic green with gold sparkles. That said, in my never humble opinion, the rootes forest green is the most gawdawful shade of green ever.

volvoguys

Diamond Level Sponsor
Don't know about pink, but I've always liked Midnight Blue. Not a bright as Commodore, but just a bit
rarer.
I agree with Steve and am partial to Midnight Blue. Lotsa red, green and white Tigers but not so many dark blue .... or Embassy Black.

Or, if you want to be really unique, use Allan Ballard's "Airpine" for inspiration.

Warren

Bronze Level Sponsor
If you are selling on go for the most popular behind resale red and 39.
And that would be not Forest Green but the deepest Jaguar BRG you can find. Probably a flat floor early version. With Tigers there's the in fashion back to stock thought. If at a United it's a one point deduction for hue and 2 for a different color than the tag.