• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

what color for the crankshaft damper

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I just decreased a Metalastic crankshaft damper/pully of a 1725 engine.

Like others I have seen it had been painted black.

The degreaser removed grease but also a lot of paint.

In fact beneath the black paint was a layer of gold paint over a silver colored paint, then bare metal.

So the question is what was the factory color for the Metalastic crank damper/pulleys?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
Thanks,

I guess it will be black although the initial layer of paint - silver/aluminum was interesting.

puff4

Platinum Level Sponsor
I agree - the damper is black.

Having said that, BMC (MOWOG), later British Leyland (Unipart), used to paint their factory-rebuilt engines with either silver or gold... they were called "SilverSeal" or "GoldSeal" engines... the SilverSeal, if I recall, was a remanufactured short-block only, while the GoldSeal was an entierly remanufactured engine (long block) - pop it in, just like a new one. I wonder - did Sunbeam offer a similar programme?

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
I mulled over this thread and came up with a question.

The damper I am working with was first painted silver, then was painted gold, and lastly was painted black.

So - for this particular damper - silver was the original color, not black, not gold.

To repeat myself, I intend to go with the flow and repaint to black as silver on a runner would get discolored fast.

But black was the third coat of paint - silver was the initial paint ??