• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

What are these?

serIIalpine

Donation Time
They are to prevent the awesome torque of the 1725 engine form tearing itself from the bell housing.

Oh, wait a second, my 1594 makes more HP and torque and I don't need them.

That's right they're for added weight over the front wheels.

Superfulous. ( I know it's spelled wrong but it's time for bed and I can't be bothered)

Did I tell you all I went for a spin today. It was spectacular. And my engine is still attached to my bell housing. Must be those grade "8" bolts and nuts.

Eric

'62 SerII

alpine_64

Donation Time
these look like a slightly different version of the manifold braces that were used on the single DD carb rootes motors. These steady the manifold by attaching at the point furthest from the block to steady it and one would assume help stop the manifold from coming adrift from the head via its own weight.

sunbeam74

Silver Level Sponsor
If I remember correctly, the Series II's did have a version of these. It was a stamped metal pieces but didn't come as far forward as they attached to the oil pan. (perhaps the pieces I had on my Series II came from a different Rootes vehicle but there were braces.)

I am betting at some point, Rootes had a stress cracking issue either with the bellhousing or the block (around the starter attachment point).

Steve

65beam

Donation Time
braces

these are the same as my series 4 and series 5.my two harringtons have the stamped braces that steve is talking about.

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
I'm not even sure who put these on my car but somebody installed it at the Invasion. :)

I can't remember if I had them when my old 1492 engine was in place.

alpine_64

Donation Time
Quite sure i am missing these, anyone care to rate their importance? I guess th factory thought they were.. that should be enough.. though how many people are running replacement 1725's in their alpines without an oil cooler?

64beam

Donation Time
Hi guys,

If this was a stress related issue with the gearbox/motor, do the bellhousing differ much between the Alpine series or was it a mounting issue? I am guessing that there are not many Alpine with these installed, as I know mine does not (my motor is not the original though).

Regards, Robin.

lemansvk

Donation Time
My late (last 300) Series III has these. I left them off at one stage in the resto, and then when I found them went to a lot of trouble to paint them and put them back on.

And now Eric tells me I needn't have bothered Arrrgh!! But wait - Eric has a 1594 engine and sunnby has a 1492 ??? Am I in the correct forum.

Sorry to take the p*** guys

Cheers, Vic

Bottom of the block to the bell housing. Later Series.

Tullamore

Donation Time
I am guessing that there are not many Alpine with these installed, as I know mine does not (my motor is not the original though).

All five of my Alpines have them. I am guessing if yours does not then someone did not put them back on when they had the engine out.

SIVAllan

Gold Level Sponsor
The S IV (with 1725 engine) has them; the S V had them in the boot with most of the engine.

Allan

sunbby

Past SAOCA President
Donation Time
But wait - Eric has a 1594 engine and sunnby has a 1492 ??? Am I in the correct forum.

Sorry to take the p*** guys

Cheers, Vic

Maybe that's why it blew up on me!

And Sunbby doesn't have the 1494 anymore! :D

Chazbeam

Silver Level Sponsor
hmm i have them

mine are more made from sheet steel from the looks of it.
welded together and mount closer in then the photo on hear.
i made the assumption they are for strengthening the transmission to the block i would assume to prevent the bell-housing from possibly cracking under stress. other wise if you think about it, it is like the transmission is only bolted up like a halve moon. from the output shaft of the engine down there is nothing to support the trany. and the two top bolts are on flanges of "aluminum". i may be wrong about this all but i am glad i have them on my series 2 and will reinstall them on the put together.

any ideas on better seals for slowing the oil leaks. im rebuilding the transmission and overdrive and want to stop throwing kitty litter all about the place.

cheers
chaz

jumpinjan

Bronze Level Sponsor
Those braces will only fit the 1725 block. The bolt patterns are different from the 3-main bearing early engines. That's why the sheet metal are used on 1600s.
Jan

Wombat

Donation Time
When I bought my SIV, it had a 1725 fitted. It had these braces, but additional holes had been drilled at the mounting to the sump to match the 1725 sump studs, and the bell housing end was packed with washers to get the correct alignment. I had a set off a Hillman Hunter and tried them for fit, but the bolt hole spacong for the bell housing was different. I ended up making up one set from the two.

Can't be sure if they are necessary, but I have a set that fits.

Rich, how did the holes in the alloy sump match the holes in the bell housing?