• Welcome to the new SAOCA website. Already a member? Simply click Log In/Sign Up up and to the right and use your same username and password from the old site. If you've forgotten your password, please send an email to membership@sunbeamalpine.org for assistance.

If you're new here, click Log In/Sign Up and enter your information. We'll approve your account as quickly as possible, typically in about 24 hours. If it takes longer, you were probably caught in our spam/scam filter.

Enjoy.

wanted bellhousing

gordonra

Donation Time
I may have located an extra... I should know pretty quickly, and will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Rich

voner44

Donation Time
gordan mustang 11 club got back to me and have all I need going to jump on it let you know if it worked thanks.. tom

gordonra

Donation Time
Sounds good Tom.

If you have any questions on the components necessary, don't hesitate to ask.

Rich

DanR

Diamond Level Sponsor
Tom, while asking for the Mutt II Bell housing did you think about the flywheel you plan to use?

Probably a good idea to get it all together at the same time getting the Bell Housing.

Pressure plate and Clutch disc even if used helps. MHO!

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

There are only two differences between the two versions, and neither can be seen from the outside. The late block (Ranger/Bronco II) have a larger diameter cam and it uses a flanged thrust bearing rather than thrust washers.

The Ranger/Bronco II is the correct pan for this version, but don´t forget the different oil pump pick up for that pan and the Ranger dip stick. You´ll need the oil filter adapter from the Ranger as well.

If you want to use the pilot bearing adapter from Kelly´s, you´ll need to have the Ranger flywheel center web turned down to the thickness of the Mustang II flywheel, so that the adapter doesn´t stick out too far. You want to use the throw out bearing for the Mustang II, as the Ranger has a different type.

If you have any more questions that aren´t answered on the web spot, just drop me an email and I will answer them all.

Jose

p.s. The block plates and front timing covers are interchangeable too.

hi dan,this is what I have in mind and ordered some already want to go with ford 2.8 s code long block from atk was used in ranger looked up scode and z code block and they are one and the same as far as I could tell, other parts mustang 11 bellhousing,block plate and crank pulley,these next parts from jose's directions on web site, zoom ranger fly wheel, phoenix friction clutch, pilot bearing adaptor from Kelly precision, assuming ranger pressure plate? and throwout bearing? also going to purchase new ford racing t5 transmission for fox body mustang. I have no experience with ford products or 60 dgree v6 motors, always had small block chevys so don't know what im doing and any help would be appreciated. is oil pan for ranger ok?, front or rear sump, anyways thank you guy's for all your help

voner44

Donation Time
jose I can get mustang 11 fly wheel sounds like it would make things easier if I do I should get mustang 11 clutch and pressure plate also? then I use n1714sa throwout bearing or just ask for mustang 11 throw out bearing? sorry i'm getting a little confused

gordonra

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

It sounds much more complicated than it really is, but there are different paths to take depending on the components you may already have.

You need to decide if you'll use a Mustang II flywheel or a Ranger/Bronco II flywheel, and if you will use a long or short input shaft T5 transmission.

Mustang Flywheel:
Mustang II Clutch disk.
Mustang II Starter
Mustang II Pressure plate.
Jeff Kelly's Pilot Bearing adapter (Requires short input shaft transmission)

Ranger/Bronco II Flywheel:
Custom clutch disk (Ranger disk with Ford T5 spline)
Ranger/Bronco II Starter
Ranger/Bronco II Pressure plate
Hub must be machined to use Jeff Kelly's Pilot bearing adapter (Requires short input shaft transmission)
or
Use a custom press in pilot bearing adapter (Requires long shaft (-238) T5 transmission)

In any case you will also need the following Ranger/Bronco II parts:
Oil pan
Pick up sump tube
Oil filter adapter

gordonra

Donation Time
so it's ok to use 83 to 86 2.8 s code ranger engine if so im pretty clear on the rest

It might be a good idea if Jose verified my statements from my previous post, but pretty sure it's correct.

It takes parts from both the Mustang II and the Ranger to complete the conversion.

The Ranger/Bronco II engine is fine, but you will need the timing cover, water pump, and water pump pulley from the Mustang II motor. The rest of the Ranger Bronco II parts will work fine.

Rich

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

You are correct, except for the years the 2.8 V6 was available. The late 2.8 V6 was built from 1983-1985; After that, Ford went to the 2.9 V6.

Jose

so it's ok to use 83 to 86 2.8 s code ranger engine if so im pretty clear on the rest

V6 JOSE

Donation Time
Hi Tom,

I prefer using the Mutt II flywheel, clutch and pressure plate, since it is a larger diameter unit, which gives more more clutch grip. If you absolutely can´t source a Mutt II clutch pack, then the Ranger unit will work.

The drawbacks of using the Ranger clutch pack, are not only a smaller diameter clutch disc, but you´ll need a custom clutch disk, which may be harder to source later, as parts get scarcer.

Jose

p.s. Use a stock Mutt II throw out bearing.

jose I can get mustang 11 fly wheel sounds like it would make things easier if I do I should get mustang 11 clutch and pressure plate also? then I use n1714sa throwout bearing or just ask for mustang 11 throw out bearing? sorry i'm getting a little confused

voner44

Donation Time
jose and rich have m11 bellhousing, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate on the way. will order other parts in a.m. thanks very much for info and have a good weekend.....tom

Alpine 1789

SAOCA President
Diamond Level Sponsor
Mustang Flywheel:
Mustang II Clutch disk.
Mustang II Starter
Mustang II Pressure plate.
Jeff Kelly's Pilot Bearing adapter (Requires short input shaft transmission)

Not to add any confusion to the mix, but my understanding is that the pilot bearing adaptor is not needed with the T-5 transmission from the later 6 cylinder Mustang. You just have to have that transmission's input shaft turned down to fit the stock Mustang II pilot bearing. Correct? I certainly hope so, because that is what I did with mine.

gordonra

Donation Time
That's correct Jim, but we've found that its a good idea to add a bushing in the flywheel similar to one that is found stock in some of the Ranger flywheels. The bushing helps support the pilot bearing.

It was suggested at one time to only press the bearing part way into the crankshaft, but we had a bearing work out because it wasn't supported the full length of the bearing. The bushing supports the bearing so this doesn't happen.

Refer to the T5 Pilot Bearing adapter mentioned here:

http://v6alpine.blogspot.com/p/v6-joses-conversion-kit-kit-components.html

voner44

Donation Time
hello i'm using 86 to 93 t5 trans (shorter tail shaft) with mustang 11 fly wheel what pilot bearing adaptor is the correct one and where do I get it? i'm under the understanding I won't have to turn down tail shaft with this combo only modification I need to do is to size bearing retainer to bellhousing opening right? I guess i'll figure this out when assembling but would like to get right parts beforehand thanks..tom voner

Last edited:

gordonra

Donation Time
hello i'm using 86 to 93 t5 trans (shorter tail shaft) with mustang 11 fly wheel what pilot bearing adaptor is the correct one and where do I get it? i'm under the understanding I won't have to turn down tail shaft with this combo only modification I need to do is to size bearing retainer to bellhousing opening right? I guess i'll figure this out when assembling but would like to get right parts beforehand thanks..tom voner

Hi Tom,

I believe you mean that you have the short INPUT shaft, not tail shaft?

If this is correct, then you need Jeff Kelly's pilot bearing adapter. You can contact Jeff Kelly here:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Kelley-Precision-Products/175059625855144

Ask for Jose's Pilot Bearing adapter.

Regarding the pilot bearing itself, you should order the bearing for the 74-78 2.8L Mustang II with the 4 speed Manual. (Kragen/O'Reilly # F33126)

The transmission bearing retainer does need to be turned to fit the bell housing opening.

There should be a tag with a version number on your T5 under one of the tail shaft housing bolts. If that tag is still present, it will identify what the transmission really is. Can you identify the tag number?